home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Earth

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Earth?

CRAP
12
7%
NOT CRAP
153
93%
 
Total votes : 165

Re: Band: Earth

Postby wellsyuk on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:00 am

You're the one that likes songs by the artist 'Seal' right? I suppose Earth is a bit weird after listening to that.
User avatar
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:29 am
Location: Brighton, England

Re: Band: Earth

Postby rocker654 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:12 pm

wellsyuk wrote:You're the one that likes songs by the artist 'Seal' right? I suppose Earth is a bit weird after listening to that.


Oh boy, have I been wrong. This argument makes me change my mind completely. I just needed my "weird music" ears on. You've completely convinced me that I was wrong about my assessment of the band Earth (and by a friend-like association, the band Nirvana). Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me? I now love the bands Earth and Nirvana. They now seem like responsible people that were misinterpreted by me. In fact, me and my friends regularly point hand guns at each others heads and shoot up heroin in time for promo pictures. Cool shit. We're not so different.

Can I please, please join your club? I feel so bad that I seemed like a prick. In fact, the wonderful bands Earth and Nirvana have moved up in my radar as being better than the artist 'Seal'. I can't wait to go out and buy their entire catalogs.
blue_thunder wrote:You know, I can't help but think that Kim Gordon records all of her vocals while dropping a deuce.

http://www.myspace.com/therealrocker654
User avatar
rocker654
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3162
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:18 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Pure L on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:48 pm

You've extrapolated this whole thing beyond anything comprehensible.

The c/nc was about a band called Earth.

You ended up doing some shit talking about living, breathing people that is just plain rude.

That's all.
User avatar
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2496
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:11 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Band: Earth

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:24 am

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:This band isn't that good.

at all.

I'm not trying to bait anyone, but the truth must be told.



Fuck you, Anthony. Go grab a handful of valiums, wash 'em down with a beer and listen to Earth 2 loud as all fuck, numbnuts.

Goddamn....


At least I refrained from voting since that first post. EARTH IS NOT CRAP.
Last edited by AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:40 am
Location: Las Vegas/Los Angeles

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Evin Relocation on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:14 am

rocker654 wrote:Can I please, please join your club? I feel so bad that I seemed like a prick. In fact, the wonderful bands Earth and Nirvana have moved up in my radar as being better than the artist 'Seal'. I can't wait to go out and buy their entire catalogs.


See kids, this is why you don't drink and post.

Also, that song you have on your myspace sounds like a reject from Bikini Body Wash 3.
User avatar
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:06 am
Location: Bay Urr-e-uh.

Re: Band: Earth

Postby wellsyuk on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:24 am

I hope he was drinking..
User avatar
wellsyuk
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:29 am
Location: Brighton, England

Re: Band: Earth

Postby BClark on Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:59 am

rocker654 wrote:
wellsyuk wrote:You're the one that likes songs by the artist 'Seal' right? I suppose Earth is a bit weird after listening to that.


Oh boy, have I been wrong. This argument makes me change my mind completely. I just needed my "weird music" ears on. You've completely convinced me that I was wrong about my assessment of the band Earth (and by a friend-like association, the band Nirvana). Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me? I now love the bands Earth and Nirvana. They now seem like responsible people that were misinterpreted by me. In fact, me and my friends regularly point hand guns at each others heads and shoot up heroin in time for promo pictures. Cool shit. We're not so different.

Can I please, please join your club? I feel so bad that I seemed like a prick. In fact, the wonderful bands Earth and Nirvana have moved up in my radar as being better than the artist 'Seal'. I can't wait to go out and buy their entire catalogs.

why so much cynicism? we're just talking about music, now.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Our song Poison has a video.
User avatar
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3092
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:29 pm
Location: nomadic

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Into the Void on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 pm

bigc wrote:
raygun wrote:"Hex is, like, 10 times the record that Earth 2 was" -Dylan Carlson

I'm watching Within The Drone, a Hex-era Earth documentary. Man, I love this band. So much.
Is it online anywhere?


It's here if anyone is interested:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 822305873#
User avatar
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:34 pm
Location: SF

Re: Band: Earth

Postby ImDADA on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:01 am

It's approaching time for a new album I think.
Blue.
User avatar
ImDADA
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2271
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:02 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Band: Earth

Postby milk on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:39 pm

not crap not crap not crap
User avatar
milk
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
cpt. lee 'apollo' adama
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:02 pm
Location: memories

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Into the Void on Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Anyone else digging the re-issue of Earth's debut recordings, A Bureaucratic Desire For Extra-Capsular Extraction? Great stuff.
User avatar
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:34 pm
Location: SF

Re: Band: Earth

Postby WoundedFoot on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Into the Void wrote:Anyone else digging the re-issue of Earth's debut recordings, A Bureaucratic Desire For Extra-Capsular Extraction? Great stuff.


Extra Capsular Extraction and Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars are both great records. The reissue was kinda unnecessary, but if it exposes more people to early Earth, all the better. I've been playing the reissue quite a bit at work recently and customers either love it or hate it. Some biker dudes were really digging it the other day, which made me happy.

But yeah... "A Bureaucratic Desire..." is Essential for fans of sluggishly slow metal, drugs, drum machines and killer four note riffs.
User avatar
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Into the Void on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

WoundedFoot wrote:
Into the Void wrote:Anyone else digging the re-issue of Earth's debut recordings, A Bureaucratic Desire For Extra-Capsular Extraction? Great stuff.


Extra Capsular Extraction and Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars are both great records. The reissue was kinda unnecessary, but if it exposes more people to early Earth, all the better.


Hm...from what I read the Sub Pop version had gone out of print so Southern Lord reissued and included tracks that were previously only available on 7"s, or on Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars (which is also out of print).
User avatar
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:34 pm
Location: SF

Re: Band: Earth

Postby WoundedFoot on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Into the Void wrote:
WoundedFoot wrote:
Into the Void wrote:Anyone else digging the re-issue of Earth's debut recordings, A Bureaucratic Desire For Extra-Capsular Extraction? Great stuff.


Extra Capsular Extraction and Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars are both great records. The reissue was kinda unnecessary, but if it exposes more people to early Earth, all the better.


Hm...from what I read the Sub Pop version had gone out of print so Southern Lord reissued and included tracks that were previously only available on 7"s, or on Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars (which is also out of print).


Ah, that's cool then. I thought Extra Capsular was still available.
User avatar
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Into the Void on Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:41 pm

WoundedFoot wrote:Ah, that's cool then. I thought Extra Capsular was still available.


Yeah, also Southern Lord remastered it and the four songs that it shares with Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars sound much, much better than they previously did.
User avatar
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:34 pm
Location: SF

Re: Band: Earth

Postby raygun on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:33 pm

WoundedFoot wrote:
Into the Void wrote:Anyone else digging the re-issue of Earth's debut recordings, A Bureaucratic Desire For Extra-Capsular Extraction? Great stuff.


Extra Capsular Extraction and Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars are both great records. The reissue was kinda unnecessary, but if it exposes more people to early Earth, all the better. I've been playing the reissue quite a bit at work recently and customers either love it or hate it. Some biker dudes were really digging it the other day, which made me happy.

But yeah... "A Bureaucratic Desire..." is Essential for fans of sluggishly slow metal, drugs, drum machines and killer four note riffs.


Extra-Capsular Extraction is a contender for their best record. Personally, I wouldn't call it sluggish, or slow. It has a violent, martial feel.

Of all the songs that could have been written, the guy wrote Ouroboros Is Broken. Blows my mind. I could talk for an hour about the second half of that song.
I Dream of Lars Ulrich Being Thrown Through the Bus Window Instead of My Mystikal Master Kliff Burton
User avatar
raygun
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1586
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: NW London

Re: Band: Earth

Postby WoundedFoot on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:14 pm

raygun wrote:Of all the songs that could have been written, the guy wrote Ouroboros Is Broken. Blows my mind. I could talk for an hour about the second half of that song.


I compulsively play it most times I pick up a guitar. Just brilliant. Those three notes could ring on and on for hours as far as I'm concerned.
User avatar
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Into the Void on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:55 pm

WoundedFoot wrote:I compulsively play it most times I pick up a guitar. Just brilliant. Those three notes could ring on and on for hours as far as I'm concerned.


Do you have any idea what tuning he uses? I tried to learn something off of Hex once and it seemed like it was in drop C#.
User avatar
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:34 pm
Location: SF

Re: Band: Earth

Postby WoundedFoot on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:44 am

I read an article that said he used a Baritone on Hex.

This article also said that Baritone guitars are usually tuned a perfect fifth lower (A D G C E A), a perfect fourth lower (B E A D F sharp B), a major third lower (C F A sharp D sharp G C) or an octave lower.

Could be any one of those. I've had no trouble playing Earth songs in standard. Never really tried to play anything from Hex though.
User avatar
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
 
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:04 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Band: Earth

Postby Agrimes on Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Into the Void wrote: Do you have any idea what tuning he uses? I tried to learn something off of Hex once and it seemed like it was in drop C#.


Half step down on Bees.
Hibernaculum is either a mix of standard and half step down, or half step down and he sometimes uses a capo.
Earth 2, and some stuff on Phase 3 is Drop A
And I think Extra-Capsular Extraction is Drop B.

I'm not sure about Pentastar, and the few riffs I know from Hex I can do fine in standard.
Agrimes
president
president
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: emmanuelle cunt and 12 guests