Re: Film: Arrival

Postby tmidgett on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:36 am

I'm an easy touch with these kinds of things, but I enjoyed it very much
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby givemenoughrope on Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:13 pm

This director baffles me. I'm not surprised that his films are popular but they basically don't connect with me at all. They should! Enemy and even Prisoners are scenarios I think about frequently but I just don't think the guy is up to the task of making these ideas that I take home with me. (It's not like my standards are that high.) Arrival is no different. The whole idea of language being a non-linear coffee stain is great. And how people/beings think and communicate differently bc of their given language...also great. But the delivery, the faux-Malick-y stuff, how it's wrapped up, even the little moments (that scream to me that this is a foreign director trying to make an "American" film, irony hello)...just doesn't work for me. I'm going to see it again though. I don't think I missed anything (the flashback wasn't really a flackback, cmon) but I did enjoy the 2nd act. I also think it will get a lot of praise for not being Independence Day which is fine. But then I'm still left with, well, what is this? Much like his other films.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:05 am

Thought the whole thing was fantastic, except for the last 2 minutes. Should've just ended with the same opening shot.
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
gutter lover
gutter lover

Postby andyman on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:23 am

I found it extremely entertaining and was pretty much hooked the entire time. Even got a little choked up.

The more I think back on the guy's films, though, the more I feel they're lacking in any depth, even if very (very) well-made. NC, WF 5; great, enthralling movie(s), but little more than that.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby jimmy spako on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 am

Not so crap while watching if you let yourself go, super crap after watching, like all of this sort of shit. Worth zero thought afterwards, no images that stick with you besides remembering that it was fun to watch.

Nice sound design. Fun aliens. Wish they had just never understood one another and then at some point they would have hit the fucking road to go try to chat with some other jerkoffs somewhere else.

Didn't think the score was as awesome as it was hyped to be. Appreciated the overall sound design much more.

Also, it's science fiction. The idea that the general in charge of the most important thing in the history of humanity doesn't understand the complexity involved in any single simple sentence is dumb. The idea that the top experts in their respective disciplines don't have a decent grasp on the elements of the other's field (math/linguistics) is also pretty asinine. Sapir-Whorf is linguistics 101, not exactly super heady stuff.

The idea that the dudes entrusted to watch out for the most important thing to ever happen to humanity are watching Alex Jones at work or whatever is also super dumb.

I know, suspension of disbelief and all, but there is no reward for suspending disbelief in a movie like this because it is basically not going to leave you with anything greater anyways.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Adam Sr on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:29 pm

Hilariously, jaw-droppingly banal at every level, like a parody played straight. Somebody stop Villeneuve. Worst director since Sam Mendes.
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Chromodynamic on Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:44 pm

I, surprisingly, did not like this movie.

I should have liked it, but it felt too much like, "let's do Contact but different/edgy enough so that the Sagan estate can't sue us to death"; the last lines in this movie were, when taken as a whole with the rest of the movie and its themes/aesthetics, so incredibly dumb. Maybe it was meant to be a source of levity, I don't know, it fell completely flat.

Jeremy Renner did a pretty good job as Neil deGrasse Tyson though: "EXCUSE ME, MA'AM but the cornerstone of civilization isn't language, it's SCIENCE."
Chromodynamic
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby ::: on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:29 pm

No doubt my lack of familiarity with Contact made it possible for me to enjoy Arrival as much as I did. I only saw Contact once, over 15 years ago on a rented VHS tape, and though I really liked it and remember the main points of the plot, it wasn't present enough in memory to color my experience of watching Arrival, or at least not on any level of which I was conscious; but the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with FM Chromodynamic about "let's do Contact but different / edgy enough that the Sagan estate can't sue us to death."
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby the finger genius on Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 pm

jimmy spako wrote:
The idea that the dudes entrusted to watch out for the most important thing to ever happen to humanity are watching Alex Jones at work or whatever is also super dumb.

I know, suspension of disbelief and all, but there is no reward for suspending disbelief in a movie like this because it is basically not going to leave you with anything greater anyways.

Seriously, that's the part you can't believe? What country do you live in?
jimmy two hands wrote:Then we all log off internet and eat nachos. All is well.

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby enframed on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:20 am

the finger genius wrote:
jimmy spako wrote:

Seriously, that's the part you can't believe? What country do you live in?

Yeah, my thought as well. Totally makes sense if you are American.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby lieandswell on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:55 am

jimmy spako wrote:The idea that the top experts in their respective disciplines don't have a decent grasp on the elements of the other's field (math/linguistics) is also pretty asinine.

As an academic with experience in physics and biology departments, I assure you this is entirely realistic -- especially for physicists. It would've been more realistic if the physicist was almost totally ignorant of linguistics but also super dismissive of it as a "real" science and acted like his own half-ass thoughts about it would be some great insight. Not all physicists are condescending assholes, but many of the highly-celebrated ones are. Especially older dudes.

I thought the film was alright as I was watching it, and afterwards... just alright. I liked the thoughtful pacing and lack of awkwardly forced explosions and self-sacrifice you get in some of these films (Gravity, Passengers). It'd be easier for me to suspend disbelief if the film left the main premise as unexplained alien technology rather than trying to justify it with some brief implausible science-y talk.

The thing that really took me out of the movie, though, was when [SPOILERS] the soldiers bombed the spaceship on their own and actually shot at their own people. I don't know much about the military, but I thought chain of command and following orders were close to paramount. Straight-up mutiny because you don't like the decisions taken by higher-ups seems really out of character, and perhaps even insulting to those who serve. [/SPOILERS] Anybody have a more informed perspective on this?
lieandswell
corporal
corporal

Postby Me Again on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:07 am

Saw this the other day...

Adam Sr wrote:banal at every level

I thought it was indeed flat, and uncharacteristically banal, up until... *spoiler alert* ...Amy Adams's character was brought aboard the aliens' spaceship after the explosion, via that little pod contraption, so that she could talk in that ether-type atmosphere. Then I think it started to get more interesting. And I liked it afterwards when she was able to see into the future in order to alter her present actions, phoning the leader from China, etc.

But all of that came rather late in a movie that was, overall, no where near as inspired as it wanted to be, or probably should've been.

Arrival was better than The Neon Demon though -- that movie was total Crap. (The Cahiers du Cinéma crowd haven't been right about everything.)
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby Trey on Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:34 pm

Was telling my wife for weeks we need to watch this movie. Ordered it on cable the other night and I sat through maybe 3/4ths of it before I finally got up and did something else. I fucking hated it. Wife finished it but she didn't like it either. Dang, I was hoping I'd like it. Crap.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:55 am

NOT CRAP, however not as massive not crap as I hoped for. I liked the second half of the film better, but I had enough of the schmultzy scenes with the kid, even though they fit the logic of the film yadda yadda. The time I can watch this stuff listening to saaaaaad music is only this long. There were points I thought I'm going to dislike it on the whole, but then I remembered this is not what is going to happen.

SPOILERS:
Watching it I was hoping it's not going to go into the 'bad guys want to blow good aliens up' route, but when it eventually did it was done it such a manner I enjoyed it. I mean the international stuff, the subplot with 5 or so soldiers deciding to blow the alien ship up was stupid and unnecessary. The access to the alien ship from within the camp seemed too easy to me anyway, but the notion that few dudes took a bomb, drove off towards the ship and installed it inside without anybody's noticing felt like it belonged to a different film. And did it even push the plot forward in any meaningful way? It killed one of the Trarlamadorians, but that didn't seem to change anything, tther than introduce a different location and turning protagonist hair into CG hair.
Oh and talking about bits that belonged to another film: In the first half film moved along on a slow pace which I appreciated, other than 2 or so minutes sequence when a voice-over comes in and talks us through developments and progress done with communications with the aliens over the course of few weeks? WTF? And it felt like communication and how it's done is one of the things the film is about.

Also, some of the longer takes with cool sound design were just meeeh, like film was trying too hard to get across the point it's SERIOUS science-fiction. It worked very well in Blade Runner, but it had fantastic visuals.
Also also, one scene made me think of the final scene in "The Enemy" and it turns out both films were directed by the same guy.
Last edited by emmanuelle cunt on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 am

I thought it was dreadful.

Her glass of wine at the start and end looked delicious, though.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby brephophagist on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Fair to middlin'. Not great, but not crap. Uses nonlinearity in a more interesting way plot-wise than Memento, but is not as well-executed a movie or script. Has plenty of polish, more than Primer, but is less thought-provoking. Adams' character is probably the only one that isn't completely flat. Has some good moments, but probably not a lot of intellectual staying power, and it's presented like a movie that's trying to give you that. Ending is structurally consistent but still feels a little cheap, a little too easy.
brephophagist
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Ranxerox on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Okay.

May never think about it again (watched it for the first time about 10 days ago).

Contact, Solaris, etc.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby madlee on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:47 am

Saw this last night and I liked it.

The science is mostly left out, I liked the idea of the weapon/tool/gift, I don't know if I liked the Terminator aspect of that. Also, not as good of a reveal as with La Jetee. The portrayal of the government response theatrics seemed poor in comparison to the way Close Encounters depicted it. Sure the situations are a little different, one is public the other is secret, but I'm thinking of the encampment. It seemed low budget, tossed off. The helicopter pick up scene seemed to be a homage/reference to close encounters.

I'm starting to think that these movies are intentionally made in a way that hits as many demographics as possible, while possibly not completely satisfying any. Add a little of this for the soccer moms, some of this for the incels, some of this for the libtards, and finally a dash of this for the old fogies.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap