Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Not Crap
88%
Crap
12%

Total votes : 43

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Postby The Canadian on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:39 am

First "Great" Star Wars film since 1980.
Band: http://practicewife.bandcamp.com/

BadComrade wrote: I bet James went in the bathroom and cried
The Canadian
President, Canadian Chapter

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Postby projectMalamute on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:45 am

I'm not sold on it.

The action set pieces were fun. It looked great. The characters were meh.

There was something about the pacing of the story that didn't work for me. I was actually bored at points.

not crap with some waffles.

better than the prequels, not as good as The Force Awakens.
bandcamp
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby kokorodoko on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:39 am

I was impressed with the graphics. I don't go to the movies very often, so I remember how it used to be "oh look there's some CGI, how quaint". They stepped up the game. Looks really good.

What I really hated was these stupid cheap references thrown in just for the sake of it, like the troublemakers from the canteen in epIV, or the few seconds of C3PO. Like, who cares?

Also honestly - wasn't the plot boring as shit? I can't even remember what the movie was about. Granted I wasn't feeling tip top at the time so my thoughts were elsewhere for a while, but it should have been able to grab me at some point at least.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
deep blue
deep blue

Postby enframed on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:22 pm

The more nerds come sit at the bar and start talking about it the less I wanna see it, but I'll see it when the lines die down.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Ranxerox on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:57 pm

I thought that it was the most adult of the films, and the most 'filmic,' but it also kind of got lost once the set up was over and the slog to the inevitable end came. Granted, not quite triumphal, which is cool, but it started to drag, to feel rote.

Most of my family slept through most of it (late viewing).

I'll see it again to make sure.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:42 pm

projectMalamute wrote:I'm not sold on it.

The action set pieces were fun. It looked great. The characters were meh.

There was something about the pacing of the story that didn't work for me. I was actually bored at points.

not crap with some waffles.

better than the prequels, not as good as The Force Awakens.

This sums it up for me better than I could. Also the CGI Tarkin had dead eyes that never focused on who it was talking to. Also Vader was a cartoon version of Vader. Good, not great. Fun, not fantastic.

Plus a strange callback to Blue Velvet. Probably unintentional.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby blackmarket on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:19 pm

projectMalamute wrote:There was something about the pacing of the story that didn't work for me. I was actually bored at points.

That is every STAR WARZ movie ever made.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby MWilke on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:21 pm

I liked it better than the Force Awakens. With the Force Awakens, it was easy to sniff out nearly every beat of the story in the abstract since it was a reworking of the original. I knew Rogue One's ending had to be what it was, but I really wasn't sure how it was getting there. That made it a more enjoyable experience for me.

As with Force Awakens the fast pace led to predictably shitty character development, failing to let the characters breathe and offer a chance to bond with and charm the audience. That's what usually happens now with action-oriented movies with aspirations of global revenue though. I didn't really bother to hold it against the movie. The (lack of) lighting and color was problematic for me. If you're not going to give the actors much in terms of memorable dialogue or funny lines, at least make it easier for them to make clear facial expressions. I realize the intention was to emphasize the element of underground networks and maybe even symbolize the rule of the dark side, but I thought it was overblown and frustrating.

I was skeptical about the sparse use of Darth Vader, but I really liked how it turned. He had the ominous, intimidating edge again from the original and 80% of Empire Strikes Back that he inevitably lost when they developed his character as Luke's father.

All told as someone who doesn't take these movies very seriously in the first place, I had a fun time.
MWilke
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby J_Temperance on Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Speaking as one of the aforementioned nerds, I was pleased with the movie; it's the biggest step ever towarks the darker and more "adult", morally ambigous tone I've always wanted Star Wars movies to take. At one point they even draw parallels between the Rebel Alliance (the still undisputed good guys) and the freakin iraqi insurgence or Hezbollah or whatever. I'm not one to gloat over CG special effects in film but what's here is eyepoppingly amazing, and both that and the art direction are miles beyond even The Force Awakens, the world building is unparalleled. The CG recreations of deceased/aged actors' 70's likenesses, while undeniably creepy, was nowhere near Polar Express levels of off putting.

That being said, I do agree that the pacing was very uneven, the dialogue..well it's Star Wars and there was a distinct lack of memorable sequences...the last 30-40 minutes definitely made up for that however.

I'd still say it's the third best in the series.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby El Protoolio on Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:41 pm

I think it's crazy so many people are ranking this just below ESB and ANH at 3rd best. It's not possible for any Star Wars film without Han Solo to be ranked any higher than 5th best. This was 5th best. Depending on how good the Han Solo film is, it might end up as 6th best. It was definitely better than any of the prequels although ROTS is close behind it.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby BobbyPeru on Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:09 am

Yea the "greatest Star Wars film since Empire" nonsense.. please. Return of the Jedi destroys this. I liked it a bit more than VII.. and far better better than any of the prequels (obviously).
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby Ike on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:36 am

Y'all are going to bat for JEDI? Alright. Even at 7 or 8 I could tell that was hokey as fuck back then. It's got some incredible passages, sure, but come on.

This one is the third best, kinda by a long stretch. Empire, New Hope, this one.
Ike
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:48 am

Jedi has

The rescue of Han Solo
Jabbas palace
Ghost obi wan
Dying Yoda
All the information about the skywalkers revealed
Speeder bike chase
Good ground action
Awesome space action
Sick battle between Vader and Luke
Death of Vader
Death of Palpatine
Victory over the Empire

The worst thing about Jedi are the Ewoks, yes. Yes it would have been way better on Kashykk with Wookiees who are obviously tough and vicious. But also how horrifying must it be to die by the Ewoks hands? Imagine vicious large teddy bears beating you to death. That's not cute and cuddly.

Jedi is also pretty straight forward with a very short second act and an epic space battle for a third, just like Rogue One.

Sure Jedi is the least favorite of the originals for myself and many others, but it's a great sequel to Empire and it's the last time our heroes are all together on screen. It beats any of the prequels pretty easily and beacause of everything I listed above, especially Han Solo, I'll go to bat for it any time. It's not as good as Force Awakens but is better than Rogue One, which is better than all the other prequels.

Ranked best to worst

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

I'd put the Rebels cartoon between Force Awakens and Jedi and the Clone Wars cartoons between Rogue One and Sith.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby BobbyPeru on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I was right there with you until you put VII over RoTJ. it's funny the ewoks aren't even that bad and there is a ton of great material as Mr. Protoolio noted. My ranking:

A New Hope
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:55 pm

I've seen a few lists out there that rank Clones as the worst, forgiving Phantom Menace some waffles because of the ligthsaber battle between the Jedi and Maul. Also Qui Gon Jinn.

I can almost buy this but Anakins age versus Padmes just ruins it for me. Also Jar Jar.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:24 pm

You're right, Jedi has some cool stuff as well as some bullshit, and has the virtue of at least being a part of the original series, with the original characters and actors who were half the reason Star Wars ever became a thing in the first place.

The first half of TFA was cool and the second half sucked. The Starkiller base should flat out never have been allowed. From what I gather, the new one has some scenes with the original, much much smaller Death Star being built? I bet it looks a million times more impressive than that JJ Abrams jackoff bullshit. The second Death Star from Jedi too, looked terrifying and awesome. I bet George Lucas thinks the Starkiller base is dickwater and should never have been made canon.

The bike chase in Jedi is a hugely influential scene. So many video games were inspired by this. So you have to give it some due for that. (The OG Star Wars was titanically massively influential in terms of visual and audio design of course). I heard George Lucas was big into car racing and it seems racing scenes are something he consistently does well. Even the pod race in Phantom Menace was a pretty good idea executed with some oomph (and also worked well as a video game).

The fuck I'm ever going to see the other two after watching Phantom Menace so who knows about those.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:30 pm

El Protoolio wrote:I've seen a few lists out there that rank Clones as the worst, forgiving Phantom Menace some waffles because of the ligthsaber battle between the Jedi and Maul.

No tension because it was so obvious that this was going to be the bit where the baddie kills the master and the apprentice kills the baddie and NOOOOOO, so it's like ok here we go, yup, yup.

It's like Han Solo walking out onto that fucking bridge. Are you going to make him carve himself a tombstone too?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Yeah I agree. Qui Gons death was telegraphed just by having the character with a young Obi Wan. Same with Solo in TFA. I knew immediately he would be the one to die. Him or Luke.

When I was 10 Jedi came out and it was fucking awesome, Ewoks or not.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 am

People go on about Darth Maul being this totally worthy evil baddie but he's dead after like two scenes so who cares? And speaking of ignoble deaths, Jedi saw Boba Fett unceremoniously dumped into the Sarlacc pit, I expect much to the enduring annoyance of the current franchise owners.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Podge9 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:21 am

Saw this last night.
It only really gets going in the last half an hour and it makes me wonder if it might have worked better as a TV series.

The characters are extremely bland and one-note. I didn't find myself rooting for any of them, apart for maybe the blind dude. The supposedly hilarious robot raised a single smile from me.
There's just no life, or zip, or thrill, or adventure.

Gareth Edwards definitely has a great eye for visuals and I really like how he can make action feel BIG and not in that Michael Bay kinda way. He really does not do well at fleshing out characters and telling a story though. I suppose the writers should cop some flack on that one.

The Vader scene towards the end however was goosebump-inducing-awesome and virtually worth the ticket price on its own.
Podge9
wolf
wolf

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap