Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Not Crap
88%
Crap
12%

Total votes : 43

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Postby the finger genius on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:17 pm

My biggest complaint were the CGI'd original characters, found them to be distracting. I'd much rather see someone who looks enough like the original character. Other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Last edited by the finger genius on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve wrote:...kosher sound systems.

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Tommy on Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:28 pm

I enjoyed it. Believe it or not, the CGI Tarkin and Leia didn't bother me as much as the other CGI in the thing. One of the things I loved about TFA was a lot of the return to practical effects and models. This thing also had way too many characters. I love a lot of the actors in this, but feel like the characters were just too caricatured. I also didn't quite get the same Star Wars feel out of it. It was missing wonder somehow.

My ranking:
Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens
Rogue One
(a pretty big gap)
Revenge of the Sith
(another big gap)
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

[EDIT] my ranking is pretty much identical to Jimmytwohands'
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Speedie wrote:
El Protoolio wrote:Protocol droids are common. It's like building an RC racing car kit as a kid.

HOLY SHIT I HAD A HORNET

I broke that sucker in half doing big jumps.

#neverforget

I had the Grass Hopper, my brother had the Hornet. The two brothers across the street had them too. We'd race all four in the alley for hours.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jbar on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Tom wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:
He's iconic and enduringly popular, and he's played by a guy who never takes his helmet off. I bet the people making the sequels would have loved to robot-legs the character back to life.

I remember reading a SW comic in the late 80's that had Boba Fett being saved not long after he fell in Sarlac. Can't remember the context, but no cybernetics were involved. He was dug out and did something. Random comic from the 80's isn't canon or anything, but might be a foundation for a future existence.

You're thinking of the Bounty Hunter trilogy from sometime in the 90s. Fett crawls out, finds the twi'liek dancer from the palace who was actually a princess all along. Hijinks ensue, there's a Hutt in a floating armor suit, Bossk eats his dad, and Boba Fett pilots a star destroyer into a planet in what is the most masturbatory, fan fiction-y overestimation of possibly any characters ability in pop culture. I loved it.

Rogue One totally rocked. We see the guy who used to fill the Red 5 slot get blown up. They crash a Star destroyer into another Star destroyer into a sheild generator. Vader was great. The only thing that sucked was the blind guy and his gruff companion. Why were they even there? Also, Jimmy Smits.
jbar
tunnel
tunnel

Postby Tom on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:19 pm

jbar wrote:
Tom wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:I remember reading a SW comic in the late 80's that had Boba Fett being saved not long after he fell in Sarlac. Can't remember the context, but no cybernetics were involved. He was dug out and did something. Random comic from the 80's isn't canon or anything, but might be a foundation for a future existence.

You're thinking of the Bounty Hunter trilogy from sometime in the 90s. Fett crawls out, finds the twi'liek dancer from the palace who was actually a princess all along. Hijinks ensue, there's a Hutt in a floating armor suit, Bossk eats his dad, and Boba Fett pilots a star destroyer into a planet in what is the most masturbatory, fan fiction-y overestimation of possibly any characters ability in pop culture. I loved it.

That plot line didn't ring a bell so I looked it up. It was SW #81 Jawas of DOOM from '83.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_War ... as_of_Doom
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby jbar on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Tom wrote:
jbar wrote:
Tom wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:I remember reading a SW comic in the late 80's that had Boba Fett being saved not long after he fell in Sarlac. Can't remember the context, but no cybernetics were involved. He was dug out and did something. Random comic from the 80's isn't canon or anything, but might be a foundation for a future existence.

That plot line didn't ring a bell so I looked it up. It was SW #81 Jawas of DOOM from '83.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_War ... as_of_Doom

Oh wow. I thought the books were the only expansion on the story. Had no idea there was a comic series.
jbar
tunnel
tunnel

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:19 pm

El Protoolio wrote:Jedi has

The rescue of Han Solo
Jabbas palace
Ghost obi wan
Dying Yoda
All the information about the skywalkers revealed
Speeder bike chase
Good ground action
Awesome space action
Sick battle between Vader and Luke
Death of Vader
Death of Palpatine
Victory over the Empire

The worst thing about Jedi are the Ewoks, yes. Yes it would have been way better on Kashykk with Wookiees who are obviously tough and vicious. But also how horrifying must it be to die by the Ewoks hands? Imagine vicious large teddy bears beating you to death. That's not cute and cuddly.

I stand by this. Well, major Ewok waffles. But I really like all the stuff Luke. Jedi really clenches it for nailing Luke as a solid, great character.

I love that the new one is much less jokey and bullshitty than VII. Loved the visual design. Looked more like SW than any movie since the OG three, though the time period depicted had much more to base the look on (both in film coverage and EU trial and error).

It was not paced like traditional a Star Wars movie, which is fine, but makes it feel like something other than an episode of the main saga (which it isn't, so that's fair). That said, early on, it was pretty rapid fire, felt very current regarding editing, and didn't have much of a "classic" film vibe. All that might be fine, I'd have to see it again to be sure. I wasn't ever really confused about anything (I made a point to not even try to worry about the half dozen planet names), so they did something right. The pacing may come down to preference (I prefer things to breathe more, but then we'd have a four hour movie with this one).

I much prefer how the planet zipping in this film used clear filmic indication of elapsed time versus VII, which implied a rediculously close distance between planets.

I wish it didn't play a few things quite on the nose as it did. Much of the movie let you guess a bit, so the parts that whittle out any room for confusion felt odd. Most references to old stuff was much better than VII.
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby thundermountain on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Loved every minute of it.
The ending was ballsy as all get out, and I preferred it to some kind of deux ex machina.
thundermountain

Postby Evanc521 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 pm

I had really high hopes especially after The Force Awakens but this one really fell flat for me.
Evanc521
chuck close
chuck close

Postby monotremata on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:16 pm

El Protoolio wrote:
Speedie wrote:
El Protoolio wrote:Protocol droids are common. It's like building an RC racing car kit as a kid.

HOLY SHIT I HAD A HORNET

I broke that sucker in half doing big jumps.

#neverforget

I had the Grass Hopper, my brother had the Hornet. The two brothers across the street had them too. We'd race all four in the alley for hours.

Damn I had one too back in like 88! The thing that always bugged me about the Hornet and Grasshopper (same chassis, different bodies) was how it would bounce on the back shocks while it drove. Maybe thats why it was called a Grasshopper. This makes me wanna get out my RC-10 now.

Oh yeah Rogue One.. Eh. Better than the prequels, not better than TFA. Something about the way the story moved just didn't click with me, I was kinda bored after a while. Ill have to see it again though. At least the ending was rad.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:41 am

^ It seems the film got "studio-ed", lots of reediting and reshoots. I was kind of wavering at during the first half but that final scene with Vader kind of tied it together for me, with a big waffle... The Leia CGI wasn't right. IMO, yeah do that scene but dimly lit and part of the frantic escape from Vader. Equally they could have not CGIed Tarkin and used the actual actor they used as the on set and voice.

Overall it felt like a "movie", Edwards really nailed the "look" by trying to mesh the originals physical sets with the today's CGI.

So far the post-Disney Star Wars films are everything the Lucas prequels aren't. I recently found the "Anti-Cheese" edits of the prequels (worth watching, even skimming). They make the films watchable, but the scripts and visual are still absolutely terrible, most of the acting, especially both Anakins is high school play level. At time scenes with the kid and then teen/young adult Anakin are so awful I had to skip them.

TFA kind of lost it's shine after a couple of watching and my "they didn't fuck it up" glasses came off.

Check Red Letter Media's take on TFA

phpBB [media]

That said I thought they were "wrong" about Rogue One

phpBB [media]
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby wellbutrin on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:26 pm

I thought both Jyn and Cassian were pretty bland and unlikeable. Maybe that was intentional?

That aside, I liked it.
wellbutrin
bobcat
bobcat

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:30 pm

wellbutrin wrote:I thought both Jyn and Cassian were pretty bland and unlikeable. Maybe that was intentional?

That aside, I liked it.

The theory is that since they get killed off better to have them as "less likeable"
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby floog on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:49 pm

1. My kids picked up on the lack of light sabre battles too. They like the Return of the Jedi fights best because of the wider scenes; other films do it all too close up apparently...
2. The bits where the Empire pilot defector with the beard, when they were tying to lay the communications cable, kept explaining at some length to various people what was trying to be done and why. It just seemed daft to me, ruined the pace.
3. Look, I don't want to seem too po-faced about this stuff, I'm not usually, and I surprised myself, but I felt really uncomfortable for about 20 minutes when they were in the narrow-street desert town (don't remember the name), including Jyn rescuing the 4 year old child. Too close to shit in Syria/Libya for my liking. Felt nauseous.

But overall, I enjoyed being ripped along with the story. Set scenes were great - to see AT-ATs strolling through palm trees; the re-programmed Imperial droid holding the control room; the final 5 minutes carefully working towards the A New Hope opening scene. Kids loved it.
"My life has been made a misery by people brought up on loud music" - Ivor Cutler

The Band: http://manreads.bandcamp.com/
floog
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Location: Bluebell Retirement Home for the Terminally Undecided

Postby monotremata on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:34 pm

Gramsci wrote:Equally they could have not CGIed Tarkin and used the actual actor they used as the on set and voice.

Yeah but Rogue One literally ends the moment A New Hope begins, can you imagine the internet outrage from all the hardcore fans if the guy wasn't a dead ringer for Peter Cushing in 1977 though?
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Postby tmidgett on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 pm

Saw all of the SW films in dramatic order this Xmas break.

Empire easily best. As anyone would agree, I think.

It's tough for me to say Rogue One is better than the O.G. They are very different kinds of films. New Hope is very much a popcorn movie, all-time comic book film. Takes its time the way basically no movies do now. Rogue One is hard-bitten, very quick, action-packed. It looked pretty incredible.

So I dunno. Draw-ish maybe. It's very very good. I think it's easily better than Jedi.

Force Awakens wasn't as good seeing it as part of the sequence. Like a latter-day "comeback" album that surprises you--functions as a pseudo greatest hits, revisiting key tropes from the past and putting just enough of a twist on them that it plays well as its own thing but a little better in isolation than in context.

The prequels are easily worse than all the rest, obviously, but I didn't hate them the way I thought I would. I'd never seen them before. Super ponderous and self-serious, almost no humor, but there was something kind of naive about the way they were put together that I found charming. They were like the less successful Planet of the Apes flicks. Fun to watch once, not going to put them back on if I want to watch one of the movies again sometime.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:41 pm

Gramsci wrote:^ It seems the film got "studio-ed", lots of reediting and reshoots. I was kind of wavering at during the first half but that final scene with Vader kind of tied it together for me, with a big waffle... The Leia CGI wasn't right. IMO, yeah do that scene but dimly lit and part of the frantic escape from Vader. Equally they could have not CGIed Tarkin and used the actual actor they used as the on set and voice.

Overall it felt like a "movie", Edwards really nailed the "look" by trying to mesh the originals physical sets with the today's CGI.

Strong agree.
VaticanShotglass

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:44 pm

monotremata wrote:
Gramsci wrote:Equally they could have not CGIed Tarkin and used the actual actor they used as the on set and voice.

Yeah but Rogue One literally ends the moment A New Hope begins, can you imagine the internet outrage from all the hardcore fans if the guy wasn't a dead ringer for Peter Cushing in 1977 though?

The guy looked pretty damned good, even with motion capture crap on his face. They really could have made him work.
VaticanShotglass

Postby brephophagist on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:36 am

The first thought about the uncanny-valley characters that I had after walking out of the theater was: "why can't they just avoid showing the character's face? Does it really fuck the blocking up that much?"

Easy to imagine for Leia because it'd make a good image for the end, but maybe more thematically effective for Tarkin.

I'd be OK with them recasting the parts, but I get that a lot of people can't deal with that sort of thing.
brephophagist
cool kid
cool kid

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 am

So after first I avoided all the talk because I wanted to see in a theater then I forgot all about it and finally saw it yesterday.

I was digging it for the first half then just lost interest. But not the way I was angry at the last act of "Force Awekens", here I just didn't care much and the final battle was just tooo loooong zzzz. But i liked how they used one of the small ship to put one of them big ass star ships into other big ass ship.

Visually it was all A+, sets, CGI, camera work, everything. Better than 'Force Awakens' on that regard. The only non very minor issues lots of things in the film just happened to happen at the very same time just by pure accident it seems, like proto.. prota.. potaso.. potatoegonist (? spelling?) meeting the no legs any more character just in time to see the massage her father send to the same character, guy pointing his laser sniper rifle at the father and making a decision to not to kill him just 45 seconds before x-wings came and bombed him to death anyway (and what was killing him at this point in time going to achieve anyway?), the antenna-shield business in the final battle. But none of this bugged me too much, I just wasn't all that much into it. Artificial legs character felt like he had more to the in the original draft of the script, and I was puzzled by his uhm heroic (?) death.

Still worth seeing for the visuals. Mehish NC.

Oh, and the CG people. The evil general was just about passable (but still it would be way better to use a real actor) but the 3 seconds of Leia at the end was pure WTF. There's no way it was the best they could have done, maybe it was a last minute decision to have this shot in the film.

edit: also, so the Empire knew there could be an intentionally made flaw in the design of the Death Star and that the Rebellion could be on it even before "New Hope" and still years later, with the knowledge of the events from "New Hope", they put the same flaw in the Biggerer Death Star in "TFA", just this time it wasn't intentional? And in the Just Slightly Biggerer Death Star "ROTJ". I guess they just enjoy seeing the fireworks.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap