71%
Bears further study
13%

Total votes : 31

Re: UK Band: IDLES

Postby dontfeartheringo on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:13 pm

J. Burns wrote:
Gramsci wrote:
J. Burns wrote:Something about the vocals and lyrics isn’t clicking for me.

Colossus is one the best songs I've heard in years and “I am my father’s son/His shadow weighs a ton” is perfect.

The new album is a fantastic piece of work, the recording is superb.

That's a good lyric. A lot of the other stuff kinda strikes me as entry-level Wokebook 101 stuff and I'm glad that they're on the side of good and not evil but the "this snowflake is an avalanche" type stuff doesn't hit for me and the repetition of a lot of the lyrics makes it worse.

The vibe I get from the singer fellow is that he hasn't been in 80 bands before and this is his first go 'round with it. I like that about him. He's not jaded and/or too clever again by half, as they say.

Yeah, some of it is knuckleheaded oi-ish stuff, but at least it's not Skrewdriver.

I love this band, though I can't always explain why in terms that would satisfy the more cork-sniffery post-hardcore folks I know. I'm ok with that.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby DrAwkward on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Hmm. I just discovered this band about a week before Joy came out, and each listen to each album makes it grow more and more on to me. I really, really love the relentless posi energy of the new album. "Television" in particular has latched onto my cortex like a fucking Trill.

If someone talked to you
The way you do to you
I'd put their teeth through
Love yourself
And that's what they do
The bastards made you
Not want to look like you
So you pay through the nose
To look like someone else
All the weirdos on the shelf
Love yourself
Love yourself
Love yourself
I go outside and I feel free
'Cause I smash mirrors and fuck TV
I go outside and I feel free
'Cause I smash mirrors and fuck TV

Fuck, maybe that is "wokebook 101" or whatever but it's fucking desperately needed in both the UK and the States right now and i'll take it. Solid NC from me.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Gramsci on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:11 am

dontfeartheringo wrote:....

I love this band, though I can't always explain why in terms that would satisfy the more cork-sniffery post-hardcore folks I know. I'm ok with that.

Solid points. Funny, it’s the punk rock tropes that turn me off and 90s post-hardcore is/was my core guitar music go to. When I first listened to Joy I didn’t rate it until June came up. The album reminds me of TJL Down...

I think they could really go beyond... if they dropped the 70s British punk oi oi/yaddy yaddys but I think that’s not likely to happen.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:18 am

Joy As An Act Of Resistance is a horrible title. I roll my eyes every time I see it. What’s the next one going to be, Self-care Is Revolutionary?
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Andrew. on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:34 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Joy As An Act Of Resistance is a horrible title. I roll my eyes every time I see it. What’s the next one going to be, Self-care Is Revolutionary?

Yeah. You're not wrong. I mean I like that they're outspoken Corbyn supporters and champion the NHS, but there's still a flakiness to them which when combined with the "Oi 2.0" anthemic elements isn't quite my jam.

It'd be cool if they had politics as incisive as Gang of Four back in the day (or like Third World War for that matter — "I want a no-bullshit, working class band—I've had enough of all this pseudo peace crap.") or if the lyrics approached the unhinged, razory creativity of Mark E Smith, but those are high bars. And I still prefer "Woke 101" earnestness to many of the bro-ternatives, including the detached apoliticism of a lot of classic aluminum necked beard rock of the 90s and 00s. There was kind of a luxury of apoliticism for white-dude rock nerds for a good while, and at least these guys are trying to take up toxic masculinity in what they do. That's good. And while pushing back against anti-immigrant hysteria is a low bar in my books, it's still more than what many bands have chosen to do with their platforms. They feel some responsibility and urgency and I respect that. And I like the playing. Like the drums, like the bass, like the guitars.
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Yeah, that’s a good way to put it. Its a little cringey but not too bad.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap