home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Disney Product: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Episode VIII - Glorified fan-fiction or genuine STAR WARS?

Crap
32%
Not Crap
68%

Total votes : 31

Re: Disney Product: STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

Postby blackmarket on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:46 am

El Protoolio wrote:Episode 9 is scheduled for 2019, not next Christmas. They haven’t even started shooting yet. They couldn’t shoot and do post production and reshoots and market it in less than 12 months. Between 8 and Solo is only 6 months but after that it goes back to longer intervals. 9 will be out in either May or December of 2019. Either way we have a year and a half to two years of a wait.

Ahhh, yes. You are correct. I thought it was December 2018. My mistake. This is Disney we are talking about. They absolutely could shoot films simultaneously. Either way, I can't imagine an interest in this series two and three years from now. Conversations are already getting redundant.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Big John on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:09 pm

blackmarket wrote:
El Protoolio wrote:Episode 9 is scheduled for 2019, not next Christmas. They haven’t even started shooting yet. They couldn’t shoot and do post production and reshoots and market it in less than 12 months. Between 8 and Solo is only 6 months but after that it goes back to longer intervals. 9 will be out in either May or December of 2019. Either way we have a year and a half to two years of a wait.

Ahhh, yes. You are correct. I thought it was December 2018. My mistake. This is Disney we are talking about. They absolutely could shoot films simultaneously. Either way, I can't imagine an interest in this series two and three years from now. Conversations are already getting redundant.

I don't see why not there are a number of super hero movies a year for the last decade or so and the plots of those are set up build to the big battle. People love those they make big bank evey time so why not Star Wars too and the pixel counts number of 3d models together in one scene is higher in star wars than a x-man movie (although the high speed slow mo shots in x-men are top quality).

I for one would like to see a Ice Tee directed Star Wars movie straight out of planet compton with the Fridays crew and Lando and his son Snoop Dogg, get some deep groves and rapping going maybe some rapping robots and Bootsey as the space king . Shit would be the bomb, with A list special effects.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby blackmarket on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Big John wrote:
blackmarket wrote:

I don't see why not there are a number of super hero movies a year for the last decade or so and the plots of those are set up build to the big battle. People love those they make big bank evey time so why not Star Wars too and the pixel counts number of 3d models together in one scene is higher in star wars than a x-man movie (although the high speed slow mo shots in x-men are top quality).

Cancer exists in celluloid form, how about trying on some AIDS?

Is that a serious question?
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Big John on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:29 pm

blackmarket wrote:
Big John wrote:
blackmarket wrote:

You are obviously a Pirates of the Caribbean or Harry Potter fan.

I love reading all the faux religion of star wars posted on line (not this forum) on star wars where people are all off on what is doctrine or not. Like Star Wars is not just some kind of stupid juvenile bullshit just like the Hulk or Star Trek the fact anyone could take it seriously is beyond me. It is just stupid fun.

I just pay my $15 bucks and get a couple hours of escapist special effects with popcorn and a jumbo icee. I think comparing these movies to cancer or AIDS is a bit much but if you are going to die either way it might as well be with highest possible HD 3D texture maps.

Hey I liked Valerian (it even had great design and a sensible story if you want that) and saw that a couple of times and did not have to fight for a good seat. Wish Disney would make some sequels to that. Man some good ultra matting of live action to effects on that one.
Big John

Postby blackmarket on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Big John wrote:
blackmarket wrote:
Big John wrote:
blackmarket wrote:

You are obviously a Pirates of the Caribbean or Harry Potter fan.

I don't see a huge difference between adult Harry Potter fans and adult Star Wars fans.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Big John on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:42 pm

I don't see a huge difference between adult Harry Potter fans and adult Star Wars fans.

That's easy;

Harry Potter fans believe in "Magic Wands"

Star Wars fans believe in using "The Force" to light their "Light Sabers"
Big John

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:41 pm

blackmarket wrote:

I never imagined I'd be interested in another Star Wars film after Phantom Menace was released, except out of some morbid curiosity, but then these last 3 came out and I thoroughly enjoyed them with a few reservations. Maybe I'll grow bored with the new spin-offs and endless series of trilogies to come over the following decades and you can continue to feel morally superior to me for liking such commercial trash, maybe I'll grow disinterested in them and voice that opinion here and you can feel morally superior to me in predicting that outcome. All I know for sure is that Disney will continue to make Star Wars movies and you will continue to feel morally superior and be all tedious about that shit online.

Post that Star Wars/They Live "consume" mashup picture again, why don't you? You seemed awfully proud about it last time we talked about Star Wars around here.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:49 pm

I'm happy people enjoy things, but a new Star Wars movie is ubiquitous and there's all of these dialogues and critiques and it's an endless headfuck over a half-baked kids flick.

I was in elementary school when the Phantom Menace dropped and we "had" to see it, so forgive me if I think the entire series is a hype machine without content.

I feel exactly the same about Marvel and DC films, too.

Fuck a franchise, a character is only as interesting as the creator behind it. It's like going to a foreign country and ordering a Big Mac to see if it tastes the same.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm

I love Star Wars and Empire because they came out when I was 4 and 7 and it was my fantasy world until I stopped play pretending or whatever it is children do. Han Solo was my hero. I still enjoy the current comic books and television shows as well as the new movies. I’m never growing tired of it because it’s what I’ve wanted since Jedi came out when I was 10. I’ll like some more than others but I’m enjoying this golden age of Star Wars fandom.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby ImDADA on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 am

This one had so much wrong with it but at least it took a few risks and did it's own thing at times. Still, soulless as fuck now isn't it? Impossible to revive in any meaningful way probably.
Blue.
ImDADA
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Gramsci on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 pm

ImDADA wrote:This one had so much wrong with it but at least it took a few risks and did it's own thing at times. Still, soulless as fuck now isn't it? Impossible to revive in any meaningful way probably.

Yup.

The Red Letter Media guys review is mostly spot on. Too many sub plots that went nowhere. Nothing really happened. None of the new main characters went on "a journey", plot holes so big I couldn't suspend my disbelief. Some hammy acting.

What the fuck was Maz Katana doing in there?

Comedy Yoda.

Why did Laura Dern have to pilot the ship. If she was planning to die then why not just do the suicide ram straight away.

Snoke was no one...

Either was Rey

Daisy Ridley, despite being fairly terrible at delivering most of her lines was about the only thing keeping me hooked because I'm a shallow man and I'd watch her read the phone book.

Adam Driver was great, although his plot line was obvious and silly.

But I still liked it.

Neither NC or C, just "whaaaat?"
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby geiginni on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:33 pm

I found it pretty easy to overlook the plot holes, dead-end subplots, awkward humor, etc...simply because the physical absurdity of the whole thing overshadows the story.

YOU HAVE SPACECRAFT FLYING AROUND IN SPACE LIKE AIRPLANES!

Seriously now. Not even getting into relativistic stuff; These spacecraft, in space, have their engines on the whole time they're flying around. Yet, they have closing speeds upon each other and the mother ships, that made two 737s approaching each other on a common air-route look blindingly fast at only 1600 km/h.

Any time a spacecraft changes direction, it's a bank and pitch like they're flying though air. No hint that a 90 degree turn involves a delta-v equal to the energy put into the original vector. The whole time the fleets are in chase, they're accelerating toward a planet that doesn't seem more than a million km away and when they get to that planet, they just magically slow down and sit still over it. No need to turn around halfway there and start running the engines at the same power and duration, or use gravitational braking to arrive at a stable orbit!

So somehow this civilization that's mastered superluminal travel and the ability to magically bend gravity to their will are still involved in petty conflicts over territory and citizens - mere chattel in the scope of a whole galaxy, and not out there converting neutron stars or gas giants into Dyson spheres and building interdimensional portals and mastering matter-energy equivalency?!! No, they're busy fighting, with swords and guns, in pitched battles-of-the-line in orbits around Earth-like planets. We don't get to visit any nebulae, witness dwarf stars or neutron stars. No view of a black hole or clusters or supernovae. Just planet to planet - like an airplane. "We realize you have a choice in galactic powers when travelling, and appreciate you choosing to fly with Alliance Space". They managed to take the banality of terrestrial mechanics into space, and play it out there.

Yet Yoda cracking a joke is what ruined the movie for you.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Gramsci on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:00 am

Because if I want hard science fiction I’ll watch The Expanse.

But I do understand your pain.

I loved Star Wars as a kid. As an adult it’s not particularly satisfying. That said I enjoyed Rouge One the most out of these new films.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Star Wars was all the genre movies George Lucas watched as a kid, done in space. That's kind of everything that's good about it and everything that's stupid about it altogether.

It's Flash Gordon style sci-fi which was retro even back then. And "back then" is 40 years ago.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:31 am

Ouch. Best looking Star Wars to date, I enjoyed the fuck out of the visuals and how it was filmed, some clever things like space-iron being filmed like it''s a spaceship was great, so was the red thing in bad guy's room just turning out to be a flammable wallpaper and the amount of real (as in non-CG) fire in general, the cast was really good and cool to look at but the film overall was complete bullshit. It felt like the script was written for was e12s07 of something - absolutely nothing relevant happened throughout the film and lots of things were really annoying to me, like:

- the least exciting space chase in film's history, with about 8 identical shots of the big bad ship firing lasers at the small good ship to remind us that this is still going, but for some reason the bad ship was unable to use it's big guns because the good small ship was faster and lighter so it continued to be out of range, however the distance between the ships didn't seem to change at all.
- the entire codemaster filler subplot
- I was completely lost at to why the codemaster was rewarded with the space gold by the bad guys. He was working for them for the entire time? It is said "he told us the truth", like about the plan to evacuate the good small ship? But I don't think he or the guys he was with knew about the plan at that moment. I probably missed something.
- said plan was that the big ship is somehow going to miss all the tiny ship flying out from the ship that was being chased because reasons. I know it's Star Wars but that just seemed fucking dumb. Also, when the tiny ships were eventually noticed, they were fired at with like one shot per minute rate? What happened with the guns rapidly spitting out lasers at a high rate, those from every Star Wars film ever, including this one at the beginning
- everybody was firing at everybody else the entire time, but whenever the film needed a moment between the characters, the shooting stopped for however long it was required for the characters to talk.
- Mark Hammil was really good but his fate seemed like last minute addition and a waste.
- one room full of and people with good guys in the middle explodes to pieces, next shot is everybody lying dead with our characters being alive and well.
- the heart of the film was Rey-Skywalker-Ren relationship and that WAS good and interesting, but that was 25% of the film - 75% of it was nothing but filler.
- all of the sudden it turns out there's a unused but perfectly functional rebel base so good guys fly to it, so does the bad guys, they fight for it and good guys secretly fly away. So the entire point of it all was...? Maybe to ask same the same question about everything else about the film. At this point I was showing middle fingers to the screen waiting for it to end.

edit:

Big John wrote:

That's easy;

Harry Potter fans believe in "Magic Wands"

Star Wars fans believe in using "The Force" to light their "Light Sabers"

I was thinking that the general who Snoke mops the floor with looks and acts very much like on the Harry Potter class mates in that school of magic.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby hayate on Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:I never imagined I'd be interested in another Star Wars film after Phantom Menace was released, except out of some morbid curiosity, but then these last 3 came out and I thoroughly enjoyed them with a few reservations.

Laughed at this... Pretty much it, in a nutshell.

There is something that Lucas's last three films had that the most recent are severely lacking, though. I don't know what else to call it than 'presence'.

There are a lot of really good ideas, but none really developed enough to instill depth. The story-telling is sloppy... muddled... haphazardly thrown together. And the level of detail in the costumes/sets seemed 'stuck' in artificial limbo also.

Where Lucas pulled off chronologic subtleties and sophisticated cinematography .. Walt Disney trades in for brevity and an artful, human mundanity. Which is an effective middle ground for all ages and which they have every reason to shoot for.

They really pushed the "force" to it's breaking point here.. which is cheating.. but only just so.
Neofascism will be the ultimate expression of libertarian social liberalism, of the unit which starts in May 68. Its specificity holds in this formula: All is allowed, but nothing is possible. -M.C.
hayate
phil ivey
phil ivey

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Because of the Han Solo thing coming out soon, the first three Star Wars films have been on TV the last three weeks. There's probably a thread for the original films around somewhere, but ah, this will do.

My 4 year old is finding them pretty exciting - she was hooked as soon as a princess was mentioned, and finds the monsters just scary enough to be thrilling. Lots of oogly monsters in Star Wars to excite a 4 year old. My 14 year old who has never seen them before thought it was all pretty lame.

The films have aged really badly in a lot of ways - they look SO OLD - but the Ralph McQuarrie spaceships, the Phil Tippett stop motion, and Frank Oz's puppetry hold up great. They would be a fantastic time capsule of early 80s effects if it wasn't for the fact that, naturally, these are the special editions. Man, I never saw those before. Horrible CGI which has aged even more badly - you're watching a film which is quite obviously from 1979, and then suddenly a character that looks like it stepped out of an early PS3 game strolls across the screen. Fucking terrible. Just a mess.

There is one scene in particular inserted into Return of the Jedi that is so fuck you, so out of place, so hatefully crap - if you've seen it you'll know - that you wish somebody could have just taken George Lucas aside and said look, George, you didn't even direct this movie originally. What you are doing is horrible, and misguided, and wrong, and so fucking badly done besides. Please stop, I hate you. No more Star Wars.

Return of the Jedi would have been a perfectly fine and appropriate place to wrap up the whole Star Wars business forever.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Boombats on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 am

Best line of the film:
Luke Skywalker wrote:That was a cheap move.

Second best is of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

Worst line of the film:
Finn wrote:Let's go, chrome dome!

Second-worst line (and worst overdub):
Admiral Holdo wrote:I've dealt with plenty of trigger-happy flyboys like you.

It's funny how everything is a Nine Inch Nails video in the Kylo scenes.

I'm not offended that the lead is a woman, but I am offended by her accent.

The Yoda puppeteering is really bad! Are there no good puppeteers in this age of CGI? It's really bad. Like "Thumb Wars" bad.

Benicio Del Toro... His stutter was fuckin' shameful. Plenty of people stutter without turning to a life of crime. I don't usually say he does not need to be in a film, but he did not need to be in this film. I think he could be in a good Star Wars movie; so could Laura Dern, Mark Hamill, and the prone form of Carrie Fisher. The series needs charismatic, seasoned actors throughout. But these old folks don't fit in with the new cast or the dessicated script. It would sell less tickets and merch but I think these sequels should only have aging characters like the Shatner-based Star Trek movies.

Way too many intentional "feels." Criminal underuse of Chewbacca.

How come nobody uses the Force? Most of the time it's only that Snopes guy or whatever. These kids are supposed to be so full of raw power and whatnot. And the fight choreography is pretty weak.

Overall there is just too much shit going on in this film. The convoluted plot makes it feel like a cable TV show. It borders on Robotech level soap opera, and I'm surprised that nobody sang. When the kid with the broom showed up at the end, it got dangerously close to Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo. As the story plods along, the action completely loses focus and all we know is that there is something that has to be protected or blown up or protected from being blown up. The bigger the intended spectacle gets, the smaller it all feels.

Crap, Waffle Factor: 1
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 pm

Is Yoda a puppet again? CGI Yoda was so crap, it's understandable.

Frank Oz's work in The Empire Strikes Back should have won the Academy Award for best supporting performance by a chunk of latex. Amazing.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap