Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Sonic Youth?

CRAP
15%
NOT CRAP
85%

Total votes : 294

Postby Mark Lansing on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:14 pm

I'm amazed six people have actually voted "Crap." Sonic Youth's best records are fucking monumental -- I'd say the Evol to Sister to Daydream Nation hat trick is as good as anyone managed since Dylan did Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde in 18 months -- and even the bad albums (I could not get into either Experimental Jet Set or NYC Ghosts and Flowers) are at least interesting an ambitious ... they're not lazy, they're honest creative failures. The last time I saw 'em live (opening for the Stooges in Detroit) they rocked like nobody's business, and I give 'em big props for still doing their own stuff their own way after all this time. 100% Not Crap.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby tommydski on Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:36 pm

i don't really undertstand the big deal about 'daydream nation'. it's overly long and quite of a few of the songs on it are pretty disposable. the good bits are the begining and the end. the rest in the middle sags.

great artwork though, i saw a richter exhibition last year and it was exceptional.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Rotten Tanx on Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:18 pm

Reading this thread it just occurred to me that I see/hear their pre-Geffen albums in monochrome and everything since in colour.

I don't know why that is.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby tommydski on Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:44 pm

because of the difference in production?

works for me....
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Rotten Tanx on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:25 pm

Hmm, I think you might be right. With Goo being black and white with hints of colour, a la the Kool Thing video.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:45 pm

One thing I noticed about the first EP reissue (which I just bought) is that aside from it being really great and $9.99 for 63 minutes of awesome music, if you take off the black CD holder case, it has a concealed second back cover underneath that's the same as the regular back cover, but without the ugly RIAA warning that takes up tons of space and is gonna look embarrassingly outdated in less than 5 years.

I think that's really cool, just didn't want to post a new thread about it.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Peripatetic on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:00 pm

AAAAAAAARGH wrote:anyone have the reissues?

I picked up the first EP on vinyl yesterday. It's pretty. The bonus stuff is worth the price of admission.

They didn't have Psychic Hearts or The Whitey Album at the store, but I need to get them.

EDIT: After further research I discovered that the vinyl versions of those two won't be out for another month or so...
rysie wrote:The original dumb shit was so very nearly compressed
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby punch_the_lion on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:18 pm

My absolute favorite band, five years ago. I collected all of the studio albums up to Murray Street. For some reason, the Jim O' Rourke collaborative albums didn't "click" for me but everything else is pretty consistent. I'm listening to Confusion is Sex right now and it holds up quite well. Kim's vocals on " I Wanna Be Your Dog"....nice. I think I'll continue to listen to them in order through-out the week just to re-acquaint myself.

How is Sonic Nurse? Never bothered to get it. I should, just to be the completest.
punch_the_lion
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby chet on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:38 pm

punch_the_lion wrote:My absolute favorite band, five years ago. I collected all of the studio albums up to Murray Street. For some reason, the Jim O' Rourke collaborative albums didn't "click" for me but everything else is pretty consistent. I'm listening to Confusion is Sex right now and it holds up quite well. Kim's vocals on " I Wanna Be Your Dog"....nice. I think I'll continue to listen to them in order through-out the week just to re-acquaint myself.

How is Sonic Nurse? Never bothered to get it. I should, just to be the completest.

I liked Sonic Nurse a lot, but it is very similar to Murray Street. Some of my friends (whose opinions I value a lot) said that they like Sonic Nurse better than Murray Street.

I would pick up Murray Street again though, and listen to it (minus that Plastic Sun song). Its really pretty good. How can you like, say, Dirty or Washing Machine more than Murray Street? Its pretty solid from front to back, which I dont think you can say with some of their DGC records.

Give it some time, and I think you will be rewarded.

- Chet
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:27 pm

punch_the_lion wrote:How is Sonic Nurse? Never bothered to get it. I should, just to be the completest.

Sonic Nurse is like Murray Street but prettier.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Peripatetic on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:25 pm

punch_the_lion wrote:

Get it. It was my favorite record of 2004. Not that that matters, but it's really fucking good either way.
Peripatetic

Postby Peripatetic on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:38 am

I saw SY rule the Minnesota State Fair last night.

I had troubled figuring out what the hell Ibold was doing on the stage.

They played 10 songs: 7 off the new record, Teenage Riot, Eric's Trip and Tom Violence.

I thought the reason for bringing him on tour was to take over the "I'm handling bass duties so Kim can play more guitar" role that O'Rourke had filled on the road. Of the 10 songs they played, Kim played guitar on a total of zero songs. On two of the songs from the new record she sang without an instrument. Obviously, it was hot to watch her dance around like a slut, but it wasn't 100% necessary. On every other song she and Ibold played bass in unison. So what was the point of even having him there?

The best we could come up with was that he's been without a job since the Terror Twilight tour and they felt sorry for him.

Thoughts?
Peripatetic

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:42 am

Peripatetic wrote:I saw SY rule the Minnesota State Fair last night.

They played 10 songs: 7 off the new record, Teenage Riot, Eric's Trip and Tom Violence.

I thought the reason for bringing him on tour was to take over the "I'm handling bass duties so Kim can play more guitar" role that O'Rourke had filled on the road. Of the 10 songs they played, Kim played guitar on a total of zero songs. On two of the songs from the new record she sang without an instrument. Obviously, it was hot to watch her dance around like a slut, but it wasn't 100% necessary. On every other song she and Ibold played bass in unison. So what was the point of even having him there?

The best we could come up with was that he's been without a job since the Terror Twilight tour and they felt sorry for him.

Thoughts?

I hear Ibold is an excellent cook. I'm sure that comes in handy on the road.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby gio on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:47 am

i love SY.

I just found out about a SY side project called "college girls gone wild"

i need to find myself a document of that.
George
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby gio on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:49 am

oh, wait, here you go: college girls gone wild.
George
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby tallchris on Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:24 pm

Peripatetic wrote:I saw SY rule the Minnesota State Fair last night.

Thoughts?

I saw them in Seattle, and I didn't really get it either.

Really, I just wish Kim would play while she sang. Are the parts that hard?

The only old songs they played were "Mote", "Catholic Block", "Shaking Hell", and "Expressway To Yr Skull". Considering this was the first time I'd ever gotten the chance to see Sonic Youth, after liking them since 1994, it was a little disapointing. As much as I like Rather Ripped, I couldn't help but be disapointed that I didn't get to hear "Dirty Boots" or "Teenage Riot" or "Schizophrenia" or "Hey Joni" or. . .
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby chet on Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:04 pm

tallchris wrote:I saw them in Seattle, and I didn't really get it either.

Really, I just wish Kim would play while she sang. Are the parts that hard?

Yeah, its pretty taxing to play a G for >120 measures...

Im equally as puzzled about Ibold. Maybe he plays something different than kim? I just dont know anymore.

- Chet
chet
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby AAAAAAAARGH on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:15 pm

I thought Murray Street and Sonic Nurse sucked except like 1 song each. I'm glad I like Rather Ripped (terrible album title) so much, though!

Hope they play close to here, and not in some festival shit either.
AAAAAAAARGH
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby Mazec on Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:52 pm

The Youth still hold up: they have sucked a considerable amount less than they have been awesome, or at least good.

One listen to Nurse should uphold my standpoint.
Mazec
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby mackro on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:24 pm

It wasn't the best SY show ever, but I saw that same recent show in Seattle, and thought it was great.. then again, I think the new album is their best since Goo, and they pretty much played the entirety of it.

Not Crap :WF: 0.0001

Dirty is really the only album I'd call Crap, and even that one has a few good decent songs on it. All the other albums are great.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap