88%
Not Crap
12%

Total votes : 76

Re: Alt-right darling: Jordan Peterson

Postby Mason on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Five Not Crap votes to date for Professor Bravesmart here:

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/stat ... 9555210240
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:00 pm

The first 8 seconds of that is so perfect, hilarious.

Many people just find women's bodies, sans any tactical redness or arched heels, attractive. Maybe if there were some sort of... piece of clothing, that could maybe just, hm, hide a woman's entire body? Then truly this hypocrisy can end.
Twilight Sparkle
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Good grief, what a fucking spanner.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:17 pm

I don't know where people are getting Kermit the Frog from. To me he seems more of an Earl of Lemongrab kinda guy.

And the females, why do they paint their faces, hmm? Is this not a clear sexual invitation to all? I find this hypocrisy unacceptable!
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bishopdante on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:23 pm

blackmarket wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Also, pretty sure a guy like JP, who's spent his whole life in liberal academia, has a pretty good handle on what postmodernism and neo-marxism is.

Peterson's repeated use of the phrase Cultural Marxism instantly discredits him. It shows that he does not understand the words he is using.

It's a fairly loaded term, with some history: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism

(Be warned, that page is deadly grim).

So if you need to lighten up your mood afterwards, perhaps have a peruse of https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Chemtrails
Last edited by bishopdante on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby famousjunkie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Mason wrote:Five Not Crap votes to date for Professor Bravesmart here:

God damn, that's dumb.

I thought his whole thing was that men have to take responsibility and face the hardships of life in order to grow. But these same responsible, stoic men can't control themselves around a little rouge and red lipstick in the office?
famousjunkie
ollie
ollie

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 am

It's SO dumb.

And the way he smugly pulls out his little Desmond Morris factoid like he's holding this trump card of superior knowledge, as if it proves his whole dipshitted argument even though it plainly doesn't.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 am

bishopdante wrote:
blackmarket wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Also, pretty sure a guy like JP, who's spent his whole life in liberal academia, has a pretty good handle on what postmodernism and neo-marxism is.

Peterson's repeated use of the phrase Cultural Marxism instantly discredits him. It shows that he does not understand the words he is using.

It's a fairly loaded term, with some history: https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism

(Be warned, that page is deadly grim)

This site, wow https://tabublog.com/2016/02/03/theodor ... ng-school/

Also, as a woman, peterson in that video gave me the shivers. Got the tom noonan from manhunter vibe there, yeesh.
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
dr. j
dr. j

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:48 am

Knew it knew it knew it. His whole persona and all of these videos are really just an incredibly long viral marketing campaign for a new season of The Kids in the Hall.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby GrantMcNeilly on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:11 am

givemenoughrope wrote:Knew it knew it knew it. His whole persona and all of these videos are really just an incredibly long viral marketing campaign for a new season of The Kids in the Hall.

Which might actually be happening btw!!

OMG so excited
TheMilford wrote: We're talking about TV here, not a Slint record or Albert Camus....
GrantMcNeilly
dr. j
dr. j

Postby givemenoughrope on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 am

^yesssssssssss
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby Mason on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:43 am

"I've spent hours watching him on YouTube" - more than zero people
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby 154 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:36 am

That recent clip looks like a Dennis outtake from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, down to the gauntness/creepiness.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby blackmarket on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:42 am

bishopdante wrote:
blackmarket wrote:

(Be warned, that page is deadly grim).

So if you need to lighten up your mood afterwards, perhaps have a peruse of https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Chemtrails

Yeah, I know the history. Peoples' repeated use of a phrase does not make it any more possible.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 pm

bishopdante wrote:So if you need to lighten up your mood afterwards, perhaps have a peruse of https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Chemtrails

I have family members who are into that shit. It's seriously not funny.

Their interest in the mysterious and elusive creature known to some as the Yeti is, however.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby bassdriver on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 pm

jesus, what an effing prick!!!!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Clyde on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:46 pm

"Cultural Marxism" is just shorthand for a dumbass conspiracy theory about the Frankfurt School. The Frankfurt school and its adherents have been famously suspicious of post-modernism. Anyone who would conflate the two has never read anything from either position. Jordan Peterson is a loon.

The folks at The Baffler are the latest people to dunk all over Prof. Jungmystic Logicgenius. https://thebaffler.com/latest/peterson-ganz-klein

The real fun, though, is in the comments to the article on the Facebook page from JP's I-use-reason-not-emotion fans. Are they all dudes with goatees? You'd better believe it.
A small sampling follows.

The irony in this review is just stunning. If you actually reviewed his content online and had a moderate grasp on his thesis you would realize how silly and sad this article is. And given that the authors were a propagandist leftist and a literal academic postmodernist I cannot believe they are this lacking in self awareness so my only conclusion is that is a DEEPLY dishonest hit piece.

I would encourage people to actually review his content instead of listening to these silly New Yorkers. They are almost cartoons.

Have attempted to highlight some points of contention that I had with the article. It would be very hard to give a full analysis's with out taking a lot of time that I don't really wanna spend on this.

Poorly-written hatchet job suffused with deluded ideologue self-righteousness. They are exactly and precisely wrong in their title; he’s no “Serious Man” but rather an obscure academic and author who found himself suddenly popular on social media.

They proceed to translate, for the benefit of the poor unlettered reader, Peterson’s theses into ideologically infantile babble which is then scornfully debunked. If they could crawl from beneath the crush of their own asinine arrogance, they might have made a valid point or two, but I must admit I didn’t stick around past the fourth or fifth paragraph to see. I rather resent the time I wasted plowing through it as far as I did.

I am a fan of his and I don’t give a rat’s ass about this article other than its arrogant, ideologically hysterical tone. It’s not outrage, it’s just snarky irritation with these two assholes who are obviously loyal social justice warriors who devalue honest criticism.

I actually enjoy criticism of him when he has a chance to rebut it.

I don’t have silly primate dominance conversations with internet intellectuals such as yourself.

Here’s an arrogant, smarmy, snotty, rhetorical critique of Peterson. It’s like the writers are licking themselves. But, I am not a Peterson partisan. I do think Peterson has gained a lot from classical writers like Thucydides and that writer’s profound understanding of human nature as a subtext of historical events, but I need to read more of Peterson to demonstrate that.

I love how all these hit pieces on JBP are coming out almost in unison after the Left has gone into panic mode when it realized that he's no two-bit YouTube academic. If there were more clinical psychologists like him, then I would gladly go to a therapist.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby seanurban on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:55 pm

Mason wrote:"I've spent hours watching him on YouTube" - more than zero people

Looks like 5.
seanurban
King High

Postby bishopdante on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Mason wrote:"I've spent hours watching him on YouTube" - more than zero people

YouTube's recommendations algorithm is definitely concerning.

Lately it's been spamming me with links for this prize nightmare of a human being:

phpBB [media]

Turns out he was the guy who bought all the UK's government-owned North Sea oil off margaret thatcher (having a private company extract the oil sharing not once cent of the proceeds *still costs* the UK taxpayer money... that's right... we *pay* them... whereas in Norway the government *gets paid billions* to have a private company extract offshore oil.)

I've now spent a good few hours investigating this Dan Pena guy, *and* his bent-copper father manuel "manny" pena who used to beat him up as a kid, whose claim to fame was heading up the inveatigation into the assassination of Robert Kennedy.

He's in my opinion the living definition of a shady 1980s corporate psychopath executive. The '80s have got a lot to answer for in the genesis of the '00s and post-credit-crunch, for sure.

Be warned, if you search for this ***hole's name and watch a few videos, YouTube will spam you with those for months.

Here is a sample of his channel, which shows his private educational executive training program (expensive) which he operates out of a castle, and currently has approximately 31k subscribers (considerably more than either the lahour party or conservative party YouTube channels, but a small number by YouTube channel standards.)

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

He has various slides such as "how to get the fucking money", and basically yells at people about what a bigshot he is on loop, with more expletives than a fictional mafia boss on a bad day.

YouTube will happily spam you with his mighty excerpts.

The same is true of Jordan Peterson. These unpublished "recommend" algorithms have a tendency to make some sorts of content metastatic, rather than viral.

'Fiction is outperforming reality': how YouTube's algorithm distorts truth
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... orts-truth

An ex-YouTube employee has run a few automated investigations into what sort of content the secret algorithms seem to favour:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... me-chaslot
Last edited by bishopdante on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby blackmarket on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:18 pm

bishopdante wrote:
phpBB [media]

blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap