Black Panther

Crap
29%
Not Crap
71%

Total votes : 17

Re: Marvel Film: Black Panther

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:06 pm

eliya wrote:Also, I don't think people are calling that one scene badass. People think that a movie about a powerful nation of black africans is badass. People think that a movie where the cast is almost uniformly black is badass.

Yes, what great representation, a movie with black people who are from a fictional land of separatist tech-utopians, just like the real black experience in America. I am glad people get piece of mind from this, but it doesn't make this movie not boring to me. It's also weird that the only person in the film that is actually talking about how I see this world is the villain, who is arbitrarily made an asshole because... reasons. I was still rooting for him, and the only part where I was amped was when he won against BP and became the new ruler. Then he dies because the elite, invincible True King kills him. Yay.

eliya wrote:It's just so funny that people choose to nitpick to death a movie that means so much to so many people.

Uh huh, quite hilarious people are able to articulate what they don't like about something.
I was essentially dragged into the theater, in a forced group outing, and when it ended up being, for me, another dumb boring superhero movie, I was like "this sucks". Then I have to answer for the good it does the world, or something. I mean sorry, but you're doing it too. We're talking about a clearly uninspired scene in the film, and you immediately switch tracks to the politics you are making fun of people for noticing.

I loved when it opens up in Oakland and I'm like woah Black Panther is going to come from the inner city, and I guess we'll watch his rise to oh wait no a goofy Star Trek man came from nowhere and revealed everyone was a videogame, and then they fly off in a spaceship.
Oh, Black Panther is already super strong and powerful and everyone loves him, and now he's the king. What an arc. Zzz.
Last edited by Twilight Sparkle on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby eliya on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:26 pm

Dude, this was one example of ridiculous "science" or "physics". It seems to me that all current superhero movies (except for Deadpool) are aimed for adults just as much as they're aimed for children. And all these movies have ridiculous physics or science. Even movies that are supposed to be more realistic have unbelievable displays of physics and science. Just ask Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Anyway, the point is that this movie is not about the CGI or that one fight scene. It's about other things entirely.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:40 pm

It's about the superiority of the world's Strongest Punchers, like every other superhero movie. The story certainly hit on beats I think are compelling, just not well.

And personally my argument is not about science or physics, but I think blackmarket is just talking about his lack of suspension of disbelief, which I think he understands, since he is the one experiencing it. I agree in the sense that the CGI stuff makes me feel like things are not actually happening, I do not get a charge from it, nor the live action hyper-kinetic closeup fighting, which I have not enjoyed for years.

I'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy this film, but I definitely understand why I do not.
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:17 pm

eliya wrote:It makes a lot of sense, physics wise, when Superman reverses the rotation of Earth and by doing it reverses time as well.

He flies around the Earth at faster-than-light speed, causing himself to go back in time. The Earth's rotation doesn't reverse, it just appears to be going backwards because Superman is going back in time.

That's still physically impossible since his mass would increase to infinity as he approached the speed of light. But how does Superman fly anyway? Super-farts?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby enframed on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:54 pm

I thought is sucked, I fell asleep during it, my wife tells me, and I never do that, but then I drink a lot and am aging. It's a CGI-ed super-hero film. If you like those, you probably liked this. Whatever the politics were, aside, it was mostly a boring Marvel film like most of the other boring Marvel films. Acting was fine, loved the female roles, Jordan was great, just overall a boring super-hero film. Did I say it was boring?

Crap.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby blackmarket on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:13 am

eliya wrote:It seems to me that all current superhero movies (except for Deadpool) are aimed for adults just as much as they're aimed for children.

Children and infantilized adults, yes. 1978 was a different time.

If you're gonna watch stretch Armstrong cartoon characters bounce off walls, save your money, fire up the PBS Kids app, and watch PJ Masks from the comfort of home. There is an equal amount of portrayed character risk in each.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby El Protoolio on Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:02 pm

I liked it. It was fun.

NOT CRAP
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby RikSmits on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:37 pm

It had bad Neo-Liberal politics, a cool soundtrack, some cool fights and tons of hot people. It was exactly as I expected and that is fine.

I'd lump it in with Winter Soldier and Civil War as my favorites of the Marvel super hero shit.

CIA guy = super irritating and an egregious error in judgment.
Killmonger = super hot and cool and I wish he won.

I liked it.
Unless they change their infrastructure, they're not ready for a punk show.
RikSmits
phil niekro
phil niekro

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap