Half casual half formal look for men

crap
100%
not crap
No votes

Total votes : 7

The Centaur look

Postby El Protoolio on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm

So I recently declared on Facebook that I am not a fan of a certain look. I’ve thought a lot about this a lot and I think I’m correct - If you’re going to wear a jacket with a button down shirt and a pair of jeans don’t wear a tie. It just doesn’t look right. Dress pants and a tie is fine. Dress pants without a tie is fine. But jeans and a tie disrupts the dressy/casual mix you’re going for. It just pushes it too far in one direction.

FM James Damed Fly dubbed the look “The Centaur”. Perfect.

What do you think about the jacket, tie, and jeans look aka The Centaur? Crap or Crap Not?
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Re: The Centaur look

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Jeans and a tie? No, that makes no sense.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Zorg on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:26 am

Not sure if I get the Centaur reference.
Jeans and dress shirts are already yuck.
I also think Unbuttoned dress shirts is a bad trend. The collars on those look wrong unbuttoned. You need to be wearing a shirt meant for an open collar.

However, jean tie can be done by an elite few. 80s Police Investigator look featuring a dark or patterned shirt with a straight tie that doesnt contrast with shirt and with dark jeans works.
Also jeans with v neck sweater and tie works in some kind of Joy Division look.
Be safe out there.
Zorg
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Facundo on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 am

I've been wearing jean pants or chino cloth trousers since high school years, and $3 to $5 dollars one colour, no text neither logotypes or any other information not about myself. This is the style three years ago some fashionists and fashion magazines started to promote... the luck was that it did not last long, because I understand that rich people as well as enjoy comfort seek distinction. Having this style before, now and then I know can make some people treat you like a stupid tard fool freak poor, but not all of these things are true. If wear a backbag in the city with your normcore look out a normal student bag, people can think you are the poorest man in that bar an somecone can be insultated if you drink the same beer he drinks. All the good slowcore bands in the 90s had the normcore look, from Seam to Codeine, Pedro the Lion, etc.

So with the off-topic ended the Centaur is a good and clear style for people is happy with their body.

From the perspective I'm a fat man and I have to hide always some parameters of my body like the tits and the paunch that style can only be criticised by fat people, so It can't be criticised. We are resigned ny default about being unable to wear most of clothes in the market. We are and will be not united around our lack of aesthetics or health. We will only make the revolution for food and comfortable things, or for things for free.
Facundo
doris day
doris day

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:03 am

I personally find ties to be silly things that serve no purpose beyond aesthetics and there's no way I'm going to wear one that doesn't involve wearing a full-on suit & dress shirt.

Is there an analogous "reverse-centaur" look, like faded pit-stained thrash band shirt with dress pants?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby 154 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:13 am

Sounds like some Silicon Valley 'entrepreneurial' bullshit. Even a sport coat and jeans is pushing it there, Jerry Seinfelds.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby djimbe on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:16 am

I'll cop to sporting The Centaur when I was in high school, but in my defence I was 17 and it was 1981. There was a lot of weird fashion ideas as the '80's took hold and music video culture started taking off.
djimbe
cool kid
cool kid

Postby motorbike guy on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm

this could be OK as long as the tie is one of the following:

1. Bolo tie with amber-encased spider clasp;
2. Skinny black ska tie; or
3. One of those goofy square-bottomed knit ties.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Tommy on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Centaur? Not sure I get it. No, it should be called the Bagboy®.

I rocked this look when I worked at a grocery story when I was in high school. HATED IT. I hate wearing ties. Which comedian said wearing a tie feels like a midget is softly strangling you to death?
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 pm

Tommy wrote:Centaur? Not sure I get it. No, it should be called the Bagboy®.

I rocked this look when I worked at a grocery story when I was in high school. HATED IT. I hate wearing ties. Which comedian said wearing a tie feels like a midget is softly strangling you to death?

Not sure who that was, but Mitch Hedberg said a similar thing regarding wearing a turtleneck while carrying a backpack.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:50 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:
Tommy wrote:Which comedian said wearing a tie feels like a midget is softly strangling you to death?

Not sure who that was, but Mitch Hedberg said a similar thing regarding wearing a turtleneck while carrying a backpack.

Dammit. I have my jokes crossed. Definitely Mitch Hedberg.
Tommy

Postby Boombats on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Porky Piggin' > The Centaur
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:40 pm

Whatever, I can make that shit look fly
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Anthony Flack on Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:44 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:I personally find ties to be silly things that serve no purpose beyond aesthetics and there's no way I'm going to wear one that doesn't involve wearing a full-on suit & dress shirt.

Right. The only reason to wear a tie is if you need to dress formal. Which is ruined by the jeans. So why would you still wear the tie?

Zorg wrote:Also jeans with v neck sweater and tie works in some kind of Joy Division look.

The classic Joy Division look is what Ian is wearing; dress shirt, dress pants, no tie no belt. It's a good look for Ian because it helps him to resist hanging himself. Practical.

Bernard is modelling the "I just came straight to band practice from school" look.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Parbuckle on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:45 am

Anthony Flack wrote:The classic Joy Division look is what Ian is wearing; dress shirt, dress pants, no tie no belt. It's a good look for Ian because it helps him to resist hanging himself. Practical.

From the look on his face I'd say Ian has his eye on the nearest washing line.
bishopdante wrote:It's a lobster push lobster world out there.
Parbuckle
tj cloutier
tj cloutier

Postby Janeway on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:08 am

the centaur look is wrong in a way that doesn’t make sense, same as shirt ballin. when a guy has on pants but no socks or shoes or shirt it’s somehow okay, but the opposite, shirt ballin, a guy standing around in a tee shirt and maybe even a button up overneath and nothing else, maybe socks and even shoes but just free ballin, it’s just wrong seeming in a hilarious way

id rather have a guy pick me up for a date shirt ballin than as a centaur, just have him lose the jeans and we’re good here

but if the shirt is a tuxedo it’s like trying to be a centaur dressed fancy on top and free ballin on the bottom, that’s a no go

and long shirts that hide the balls? that doesn’t count, might as well borrow some of my tights and at least look like peter pan or luke skywalker

shirt ballin has the unique charm of being able to walk into stores with “no shoes no shirt no service “ signs and fill in up a slushie and saying “service me” before the cops get there to give you a dicket for disturbing the peace with your public shirt ballin, but i imagine the fine is higher for guys trying to centaur

shoot, show up dressed like an actual centaur for that matter. we can both hide inside the horse legs part and play trojan war and steer the horse mechanically around town with a trojan condom on the outer dick. the inside dick will be shirt ballin, obvi
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:35 am

Boombats wrote:Porky Piggin' > The Centaur

The Porky Pig is a brave look.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby milkmeat on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 pm

This reminds me of a look that I just now invented called Two Thirds of a Holiday in Hell.

It's a dress shirt buttoned with tie, jacket and vest, paired with tactical shorts.
milkmeat
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Return to Crap / Not Crap