home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

You likey?

Ripper:
38
95%
No thanks, mate:
2
5%
 
Total votes : 40

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby cneutron on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:50 pm

Alright, I waited for 6 or 7 replies of the "This is what I wanted Nick Cave" to sound like before chiming in.

I really don't hear it.

I *AM* a fan of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, although there are just as many records that I wouldn't change a note of and play constantly, as there are ones that I could use as a cure for insomnia.

The press has used the Bad Seeds reference too. I assumed it is because they are both from down under. Most bands that evoke Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds references are dangerless lite-goth chamber pop.

I don't hear it, not at all.
I mean sure, everybody hears what they hear. I suppose with the noisier Blixa bits maybe...
I think the band it reminds me of the most is probably the Paperchase, but most importantly they sound like themselves.
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
User avatar
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4206
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:33 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:01 pm

I don't hear it either. Really enjoy this record.
once deceased
User avatar
A_Man_Who_Tries
sweetbreads
sweetbreads
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby Tommy on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:27 pm

cneutron wrote:Alright, I waited for 6 or 7 replies of the "This is what I wanted Nick Cave" to sound like before chiming in.

I really don't hear it.


To be fair, two of us (probably both not NC fans) stated that it sounds like what we WANT Nick Cave to sound like.

But if you want to know where I'm coming from, Rubber Bullies is a perfect example if you completely ignore the guitar. The vocal delivery definitely has a Nick Cave thing going on, and the bass playing is sorta reminiscent of Birthday Party/early Bad Seeds. If you don't hear it, I am astounded. Fuck, this song could almost be an up-tempo version of Red Right Hand.
User avatar
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet
 
Posts: 5604
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Logan Square, Chicago, IL

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby askii on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:20 pm

I have not yet formed an opinion on the resemblance or lack thereof between The Drones / TFS and Nick Cave, either as he is or as he might have been. But I thought I heard some Rowland S. Howard in Liddiard's guitar, and maybe even in his colorful pessimism. I wasn't sure if it was just the geographic connection, or the fact that RSH is by far my favorite ex-member of The Birthday Party, but then I saw these:





Gotta say, The Drones' version of 'Crowned' might actually improve on the original! Course, it does take them two pairs of hands to do what Rowland did with one.
User avatar
askii
cannon fodder
cannon fodder
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:53 pm
Location: Amazonia

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby Dave N. on Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:33 pm

FM Steve, in the Drones C/NC-

steve wrote:Just saw them at Primavera Sound, and they were real good. It's weird about Australian bands though, it seems like even the ones that don't sound like them sound a little like the Birthday Party and the Saints. I mean, the Drones don't sound like either of those bands, but then they sounded like them both a little bit.
User avatar
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3472
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 am
Location: Austin

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby Mama Clortho on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:23 pm

The Drones always sounded like a cross between NY + Crazy Horse and Fugazi to me. I understand what people are hearing when they reference Nick Cave, though. Both sound explicitly Australian + gritty literary bushman poet laureate thing.

I get panicky thinking about people loving TFS that aren’t intimately familiar with Wait Long By The River, I See Seaweed and Gala Mill. Those are the best rock records of the 00’s. TFS are a fun band.
User avatar
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:21 am
Location: Hungry Head, Australia

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby cneutron on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:41 am

Mama Clortho wrote:The Drones always sounded like a cross between NY + Crazy Horse and Fugazi to me. I understand what people are hearing when they reference Nick Cave, though. Both sound explicitly Australian + gritty literary bushman poet laureate thing.

I get panicky thinking about people loving TFS that aren’t intimately familiar with Wait Long By The River, I See Seaweed and Gala Mill. Those are the best rock records of the 00’s. TFS are a fun band.


I mean, it's never too late to get into good music, right?
I always kind of envy folks that take a journey that leads them to some of my favorite records.
They are in for a treat.
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
User avatar
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4206
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:33 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby askii on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:I get panicky thinking about people loving TFS that aren’t intimately familiar with Wait Long By The River, I See Seaweed and Gala Mill. Those are the best rock records of the 00’s. TFS are a fun band.

Haha! I am one of these people, but I understand this feeling! Is maybe like how I feel about people who know Carrie Brownstein as “that Portlandia chick”!

In my defense, this is assuredly a temporary condition. Like I said earlier, one of the best things about TFS is that their family tree is a goldmine, and I’m (maybe stupidly) amazed to discover there’s a songwriter as up my street as Liddiard who has this huge back catalog. If The Drones’ classic albums are as rewarding of obsessive scrutiny as A Laughing Death in Meatspace is, and if “Crazy Horse meets Fugazi” (which reminds me of the Constantines, my favorite rock band of the ‘00s) is accurate, then I’m in no hurry to rush the journey.

But also, I confess there’s some small part of me that worries Liddiard’s back catalog couldn’t possibly live up to this first impression. For me, TFS are not a “fun” band (in the implied pejorative sense) at all. As someone said upthread, they’re hitting me on a Fugazi level. I mean, they are fun, but in an absurdist Restaurant-at-the-End-of-the-Universe way that just heightens the contradictions and sharpens the critique.

I’ve been feeling pretty damn apocalyptic these last couple years -- like, significantly more so than ever before, and feeling apocalyptic is an occupational hazard for an environmental scientist. Especially from the US vantage point, it really seems like society has reached a precipice where we’re either gonna somehow radically change course and dismantle the 40-year neoliberal project, as unlikely as that appears, or else we’re truly and irreversibly fucked. Socialism or barbarism, as they say, and the current state of affairs does not inspire much hope about our choice. The kind of constant background dread and anxiety that attend this situation feel qualitatively different from the old kinds. I don’t think I’m alone in feeling this way, either.

TFS is the first band I’ve heard that comprehensively captures this feeling on a musical, lyrical, and aesthetic level, and they do so in such an ingenious and artful way that it seems both perfectly of these times and timeless. It’s the kind of art that actually helps you to recognize an inchoate, subliminal experience you’re having, or something you knew intellectually but didn’t have an emotional language to articulate. That’s about the highest praise I can give to a rock band.

I feel pretty much the same way about Modern Convenience, too, which makes me think the non-Drones in TFS may be bringing something important to the mix even if Liddiard remains the primary songwriter. Pardon the armchair sociology, but it strikes me that Erica Dunn, in particular, is young -- barely in her 30s, I believe, though she’s clearly an old soul. And there’s something about Mod Con that seems like it could only have come from members of the first generation to be truly forced to reckon with this whole fuckin’ mess. In fact, I’m a little surprised that this is the first time I’m encountering something that might be construed as a musical answer to “cli-fi”. Lest the PRF Millennials take umbrage, I hasten to say there are loads of young bands that I love, but still: Mod Con (and by association TFS, notwithstanding their firmly ‘90s roots) sound like “Millennial indie rock” if it sounded like I imagine wanting it to sound, rather than how most of it actually sounds.

OK, I’ll pipe down now and go order some Drones records. Should’ve gone back to lurking before my status went from “troll” to “jock”.
User avatar
askii
cannon fodder
cannon fodder
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:53 pm
Location: Amazonia

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby cneutron on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:26 pm

This band is VERY much a band of it's time.
That's a nice thing to be, and it doesn't always happen to the bands that you think it will.

I can back that 100%
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
User avatar
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4206
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:33 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby Mama Clortho on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:23 pm

cneutron wrote:
Mama Clortho wrote:The Drones always sounded like a cross between NY + Crazy Horse and Fugazi to me. I understand what people are hearing when they reference Nick Cave, though. Both sound explicitly Australian + gritty literary bushman poet laureate thing.

I get panicky thinking about people loving TFS that aren’t intimately familiar with Wait Long By The River, I See Seaweed and Gala Mill. Those are the best rock records of the 00’s. TFS are a fun band.


I mean, it's never too late to get into good music, right?
I always kind of envy folks that take a journey that leads them to some of my favorite records.
They are in for a treat.


Not being snooty — just my attempt to ensure people take that journey.
User avatar
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed
 
Posts: 1632
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:21 am
Location: Hungry Head, Australia

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 am

askii wrote:Socialism or barbarism


Say it louder for the people in the back.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
User avatar
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12135
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: athens, ga

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby dontfeartheringo on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:49 pm

Listening to "Wait Long By The River" now and oh, no. I'm about to become one of those guys who abjectly worships an Australian band and won't shut up about it.

I'm sorry, friends and lovers.

You're going to have to listen to a lot of The Drones in my car for a while.
Anthony Flack wrote:The sax would be a cool instrument if people would only stop making it go burrrrrBLEEEEEE.
User avatar
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus
 
Posts: 12135
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: athens, ga

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby Dave N. on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:17 pm

dontfeartheringo wrote:You're going to have to listen to a lot of The Drones in my car for a while.


Shotgun! It's great, isn't it? Like striking paydirt.

Man, MOD CON got me through the East Austin Traffic Blues this afternoon. They deserve their own C/NC.
User avatar
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3472
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 am
Location: Austin

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby askii on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Dave N. wrote:Man, MOD CON got me through the East Austin Traffic Blues this afternoon. They deserve their own C/NC.

Would vote in this C/NC.
User avatar
askii
cannon fodder
cannon fodder
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:53 pm
Location: Amazonia

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby n.c. on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:02 pm

i like this band!
User avatar
n.c.
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2300
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:22 pm
Location: dresden, maine

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby Carl on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 pm

American tour this fall:
Tropical Fuck Storm – 2018 Tour Dates (all with Modest Mouse unless noted)
October 2 Syracuse, NY Crouse Hinds Theatre
October 4 Portland, ME State Theatre
October 5 Worcester, MA Palladium
October 6 New London, CT Foxwoods Casino Grand Theatre
October 7 Atlantic City, NJ Borgata Spa and Resort
October 8 Brooklyn, NY Elsewhere Zone 1 #
October 9 Brooklyn, NY King’s Theatre
October 10 Montclair, NJ The Wellmont Theatre
October 12 Asbury, NJ Stone Pony Summerstage
October 13 Bethlehem, PA Sands Bethlehem Event Center
October 14 Albany, NY Palace Theatre
October 15 Los Angeles, CA The Echo ##
# – Tropical F*** Storm headlines
## – w/Amyl and The Sniffers
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
User avatar
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
 
Posts: 2431
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:05 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby askii on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Carl wrote:American tour this fall:
Tropical Fuck Storm – 2018 Tour Dates (all with Modest Mouse unless noted)
October 2 Syracuse, NY Crouse Hinds Theatre
October 4 Portland, ME State Theatre
October 5 Worcester, MA Palladium
October 6 New London, CT Foxwoods Casino Grand Theatre
October 7 Atlantic City, NJ Borgata Spa and Resort
October 8 Brooklyn, NY Elsewhere Zone 1 #
October 9 Brooklyn, NY King’s Theatre
October 10 Montclair, NJ The Wellmont Theatre
October 12 Asbury, NJ Stone Pony Summerstage
October 13 Bethlehem, PA Sands Bethlehem Event Center
October 14 Albany, NY Palace Theatre
October 15 Los Angeles, CA The Echo ##
# – Tropical F*** Storm headlines
## – w/Amyl and The Sniffers

Beat me to it; came here to post this. You lucky, lucky, non-Pacific Northwesterners! I'm almost seriously considering flying to one or more of these shows and leaving before the headliner. There's a first time for everything, I guess?
User avatar
askii
cannon fodder
cannon fodder
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:53 pm
Location: Amazonia

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby Clyde on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 am

askii wrote:
Carl wrote:American tour this fall:
Tropical Fuck Storm – 2018 Tour Dates (all with Modest Mouse unless noted)
October 2 Syracuse, NY Crouse Hinds Theatre
October 4 Portland, ME State Theatre
October 5 Worcester, MA Palladium
October 6 New London, CT Foxwoods Casino Grand Theatre
October 7 Atlantic City, NJ Borgata Spa and Resort
October 8 Brooklyn, NY Elsewhere Zone 1 #
October 9 Brooklyn, NY King’s Theatre
October 10 Montclair, NJ The Wellmont Theatre
October 12 Asbury, NJ Stone Pony Summerstage
October 13 Bethlehem, PA Sands Bethlehem Event Center
October 14 Albany, NY Palace Theatre
October 15 Los Angeles, CA The Echo ##
# – Tropical F*** Storm headlines
## – w/Amyl and The Sniffers

Beat me to it; came here to post this. You lucky, lucky, non-Pacific Northwesterners! I'm almost seriously considering flying to one or more of these shows and leaving before the headliner. There's a first time for everything, I guess?


I was honestly considering the same thing when they were opening for King Gizzard on the west coast last year.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2013
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:12 pm
Location: Life

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby Johnny C on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Tropical Fuck Storm come to Canada sweeties. Show feet
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
User avatar
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: The Great White North

Re: Band: Tropical Fuck Storm

Postby hylje on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Tropical Fark Storm, for fark's sake.
User avatar
hylje
hank williams
hank williams
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 am

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests