home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

BAND: The New Year

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

New Year?

Crap
9
8%
Not Crap
110
92%
 
Total votes : 119

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby rappard on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:50 am

From http://facebook.com/thenewyearband/:
To celebrate the 15 year anniversary of the release of THE NEW YEAR's first album "NEWNESS ENDS" on Feb 20th, all LP and CD copies are 20% off at http://www.thenewyear.net/tnystore.html from now until Sunday night. Stop by and get your copy if you don't already have it. That's an incredible deal on the LP...
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
User avatar
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Dutchland

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:23 pm

They sold out of Newness Ends. Damnit.
Verbs & Nouns
first class
first class
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby rappard on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:56 am

Verbs & Nouns wrote:They sold out of Newness Ends. Damnit.

http://discogs.com/sell/list?sort=price ... rmat=Vinyl
Weird though, only EU sellers. FWIW, Deutsche Post / Hermes has a cheap worldwide shipping option - 7 euros or so, last time I checked.

Edit (after a quick Google Search):
http://amazon.com/Newness-Ends-New-Year/dp/B0002JC3HW/ looks like your best bet.
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
User avatar
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Dutchland

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:36 pm

Pasting the link wont work for me, but thy posted a video teaser for "Snow" on their Facebook a few hours ago.
Verbs & Nouns
first class
first class
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Mr Egg on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Pasting the link wont work for me, but thy posted a video teaser for "Snow" on their Facebook a few hours ago.


phpBB [media]
User avatar
Mr Egg
marshall
marshall
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Brum

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Hosoi on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Is there only one guitar in 35 seconds?

It also sounds like someone is sitting down besides the drummer??

Is this for "marketing"???

Is this a counter to see how many records to press????

Are we supposed to start saving up?????

Does music mean anything to anyone anymore??????

(Just kidding about that last part, probably.)
Hosoi
kofi annan
kofi annan
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:31 am

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:18 am

It doesn't matter, it's The New Year.
Verbs & Nouns
first class
first class
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Tree on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:32 am

Hosoi wrote:Is there only one guitar in 35 seconds?

It also sounds like someone is sitting down besides the drummer??

Is this for "marketing"???

Is this a counter to see how many records to press????

Are we supposed to start saving up?????

Does music mean anything to anyone anymore??????

(Just kidding about that last part, probably.)

Alright, alright, it'll be fine. I can help you with a little bit of this.

https://undertowstore.com/collections/t ... 8350127815
Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
User avatar
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3194
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby aaronk on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:04 pm

aaronk
ensign
ensign
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:04 pm
Location: Long Island

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:31 pm

$60 shipped to Australia for the new LP.

USPS is the worst.
Verbs & Nouns
first class
first class
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Australia, South

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:18 pm

That new single is so great. Matt sounds like the singer of The Strokes. Julius Ceasar or whatever. Yet it's perfect!
User avatar
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:21 am
Location: Hungry Head, Australia

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Hosoi on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Hey, thanks, Tree!

But, Verbs & Nouns, "pre-ordering" is for chumps. Don't do it if you can make a store get it for you.

Guitars in the first part are great. Brokaw is a really good drummer. Imagine all the terrible things he could be playing, and he's not doing it!

Who really cares about lyrics, but I guess this song is saying there is a way to explain the world (it's always the same), but everyone hates it the minute you try to apply it to a specific, present thing. Like, later this won't mean anything, or based on what happened before, this obviously was going to happen again, which is true, but not helpful. Recent history and history feel really different, but they are the same. This band still sounds the same, Bubba is still a fox, etc.
Hosoi
kofi annan
kofi annan
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:31 am

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Andrew. on Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:47 pm

I adore this band and I'm stoked about the new album. This said, sometimes I think of what they do as "propulsive moping." There's an undercurrent of resignation that I don't identify with.
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6230
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Mama Clortho on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Undercurrent?

I completely get what you mean, though. I love them. Love. Though, they are only for when I am feeling a very particular mopey-man pensiveness.

"Oh god, not now Matt Kadane! The bats are dying in the trees -- That's how fucking hot it is."

If I were to put them on when I had a lady around, I would absolutely expect her to cringe/laugh at me/run.
User avatar
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed
 
Posts: 1622
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:21 am
Location: Hungry Head, Australia

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Hosoi on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Andrew. wrote:I adore this band and I'm stoked about the new album. This said, sometimes I think of what they do as "propulsive moping." There's an undercurrent of resignation that I don't identify with.

Possibly, Andrew., you are referring to the lyrics, or maybe the sound of the voices? Like I said before, who cares about lyrics. Lyrics might have some insight or something, but they are not going to make music any better. Making music is activism and freedom, which maybe you don't know if you don't do it.

Also, this band is loud.

Mama Clortho wrote:If I were to put them on when I had a lady around, I would absolutely expect her to cringe/laugh at me/run.

Why should you be ashamed of this beautiful band that you love? It would be cruel for someone to do those things, especially if you said you loved it. Sorry, Mama Clortho.

I guess I can only say that here and not if it were the fucking Soundgarden thread.
Hosoi
kofi annan
kofi annan
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:31 am

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Andrew. on Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Hosoi wrote:
Andrew. wrote:I adore this band and I'm stoked about the new album. This said, sometimes I think of what they do as "propulsive moping." There's an undercurrent of resignation that I don't identify with.

Possibly, Andrew., you are referring to the lyrics, or maybe the sound of the voices? Like I said before, who cares about lyrics. Lyrics might have some insight or something, but they are not going to make music any better. Making music is activism and freedom, which maybe you don't know if you don't do it.

Also, this band is loud.


Yeah, I don't find the music mopey for the most part. It's glorious and vibrant and I listen to their albums loud. Same with Bedhead.
User avatar
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6230
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 11:02 pm

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Defender on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 pm

I think lyrics undoubtedly can make the experience of the music better or more complete, for myself anyway. Especially with a band like the New Year. I know THEY care about the lyrics. Maybe not with a band like the Jesus Lizard. But then I like their lyrics too, for way different reasons though... well anyway it sounds like the new album is going to be great. Very exciting
"a little red wine, vintage record, some Ambien ... and magic!"
- elon musk
User avatar
Defender
first class
first class
 
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:54 pm
Location: Green Bay

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Hosoi on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:47 pm

Defender!

You're right. I'm treating these guitar animals like hot pieces of illiterate meat!

Sorry!
Hosoi
kofi annan
kofi annan
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:31 am

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby Tree on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Mama Clortho wrote:If I were to put them on when I had a lady around, I would absolutely expect her to cringe/laugh at me/run.

I think "Seven Days And Seven Nights" sounds downright romantic.
Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
User avatar
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
 
Posts: 3194
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Northern Colorado

Re: BAND: The New Year

Postby jtyler on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Not crap, far from it. A logical and appropriate successor to the magnificent Bedhead.
jtyler
pod
pod
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 am

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MJongo, Pasta, Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests