Postby revrantMeat on Sun May 23, 2010 12:19 pm

love 'em.
NC.
revrantMeat
ben franklin
ben franklin

Re: Band: Husker Du

Postby SkinFailure on Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 am

Love 'em, with waffles due to the fact that much of their albums contain some crappy filler. The good tunes are almost too good though.
steve wrote: Fuck foodie and the mani-pedi it rode in on.
SkinFailure
franklin from peanuts
franklin from peanuts

Postby Amin on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:25 am

that wall of guitar in celeberated summer "living end album" is just crazy. have you heard anthrax cover. they coverd this live version with all nananana, aaaah.
Amin

Postby Amin on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:47 am

Amin

Postby AnthonyCinder on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:21 pm

Not Crap. Only wish their best albums were recorded better. But still, not crap.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:47 pm

I can't vote crap on them, but they're nowhere near my favorite band. I like everything up to Zen Arcade pretty well, and about half the songs on New Day Rising are good, then they started sounding like the fucking Lemonheads or something.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby RBoyer on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 am

"Everything Falls Apart," "Metal Circus," "Flip Your Wig," and "New Day Rising" are excellent.

The rest, meh.

That whole "Dude, "Zen Arcade" is one of the greatest double LPs ever" argument? Barfff. Way too much filler.

Still, Husker Du are very far from crap.
RBoyer
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:41 am

RBoyer wrote:That whole "Dude, "Zen Arcade" is one of the greatest double LPs ever" argument? Barfff. Way too much filler.

Exactly.
Last edited by jimmy two hands on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby Tommy on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:50 am

RBoyer wrote:"Everything Falls Apart," "Metal Circus," "Flip Your Wig," and "New Day Rising" are excellent.

That whole "Dude, "Zen Arcade" is one of the greatest double LPs ever" argument? Barfff. Way too much filler.

Totally diasgree. I love New Day Rising but there is way more filler (second half of side two) than there is on Zen Arcade.
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:57 am

Tommy wrote:
RBoyer wrote:"Everything Falls Apart," "Metal Circus," "Flip Your Wig," and "New Day Rising" are excellent.

Totally diasgree. I love New Day Rising but there is way more filler (second half of side two) than there is on Zen Arcade.

I'm in agreement here as well, though Zen Arcade still has too much filler to be considered one of the greatest albums of all time.

jimmy two hands

Postby Bill Swansea on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Filler can't be considered filler if it's enjoyable to listen to though.

Plus there's not THAT much filler, really.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby whoisalhedges on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 pm

I don't think there's a moment of filler on New Day Rising -- one of my favorite records ever.

I do think Zen Arcade could've been cut in half, though.

Obviously, Candy Apple Grey and Warehouse: Songs and Stories are the weak links, but I can't even bring myself to dislike them.

No crappo.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby Tommy on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:12 pm

whoisalhedges wrote:I don't think there's a moment of filler on New Day Rising -- one of my favorite records ever.

Wow. I feel exactly opposite. I don't really think any of ZA is filler. "How to Skin a Cat", "Whatcha Drinkin'" and Plans I Make" are total throwaways.
Tommy

Postby whoisalhedges on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Tommy wrote:
whoisalhedges wrote:I don't think there's a moment of filler on New Day Rising -- one of my favorite records ever.

Wow. I feel exactly opposite. I don't really think any of ZA is filler. "How to Skin a Cat", "Whatcha Drinkin'" and Plans I Make" are total throwaways.

MAYBE the first two, if I'm in a short attention span mood... but I fucking adore "Plans I Make."

About 2 years ago, I sat down with my guitar and played out a nice chord progression. Made up some nonsense lyrics to sing along, to be replaced by real lyrics later. I was really excited, because I thought I'd just come up with a killer melody.

Listening to my iPod in the car on the way to work the next day, I came to the realization I'd just written "Celebrated Summer." Shit.
"Country music must go on!" -- Austin J. Hall, September 11, 2001
whoisalhedges

Location: Where they put chili on spaghetti, BBQ sauce on kielbasa, and men on the moon.

Postby Ptommydski on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:30 pm

I go back to them occasionally and it surprises me how much I like songs across their whole discography. Starting to come around to Warehouse at last. Admittedly a bloated album but still has some excellent songs on there. 'Could You Be The One?', 'You Look Like You Just Got Back From Somewhere', 'Friend, You've Got Too Fall', 'Charity, Chastity, Prudence, and Hope', 'These Important Years' etc.

Love this early single, simple but effective -

Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:Filler can't be considered filler if it's enjoyable to listen to though.

Plus there's not THAT much filler, really.

Yeah, filller is probably not the word I want to use, since each song in Zen Arcade is part of a larger narrative, and even those piano interludes and the backwardsy bit of Reoccurring Dreams earlier in the album while not contributing to the narrative contribute to the overall structure of the album as a whole. Mostly I don't enjoy listening to those parts. Then there are the songs that are just plain terrible, like "Somewhere" and "Turn On The News". Musically they're decent, slightly pedestrian rock songs but they have cringe-inducingly bad lyrics.

jimmy two hands

Postby Ptommydski on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:00 pm

'Somewhere' is a pretty good song, though most of Hart's lyrics were dodgy if the truth be told (rare example of a song written by Hart being sung by Mould).
Ptommydski

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Ptommydski wrote:'Somewhere' is a pretty good song, though most of Hart's lyrics were dodgy if the truth be told (rare example of a song written by Hart being sung by Mould).

That chorus is jsut awful though, it's the type of shit I would write in my notebooks when I was in middle school and then get embarrassed and throw out before trying to set to music, much less put to tape and press into vinyl and release to the public and play in front of a live audience numerous times.

jimmy two hands

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:42 pm

I actually really like Candy Apple Grey, but I couldn't ever get into Warehouse. Completely appropriate title, though, because the tunes have more of a "singer/songwriter" vibe, which usually doesn't work for me.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby Tommy on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:47 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:
Ptommydski wrote:'Somewhere' is a pretty good song, though most of Hart's lyrics were dodgy if the truth be told (rare example of a song written by Hart being sung by Mould).

That chorus is jsut awful though, it's the type of shit I would write in my notebooks when I was in middle school and then get embarrassed and throw out before trying to set to music, much less put to tape and press into vinyl and release to the public and play in front of a live audience numerous times.

Hart could be a pretty terrible lyricist. Truthfully, Somewhere's aren't his worst. As a freshmen in high school I plagarized Charity Chastity Prudence and Hope for a poetry writing assignment that I either forgot or didn't want to do. I chose it because it was bad enough to be believable.

I'm guilty of often not really caring about lyrics (probably why I'm usually in instrumental bands). I typically pay more attention to melody and meter.
Tommy

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap