98%

Total votes : 211

Re: Band: Wipers

Postby DregsInTheCrowd on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Agreed, The Circle is good. This is one of my favorite Wipers songs:
phpBB [media]

Silver Sail's got a great one as well:
phpBB [media]
My name is Mike, and I play music in Stripper Deville.
DregsInTheCrowd
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Brinkman on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:38 pm

tallchris wrote:If anything, I think the Wipers have become a default influence for a generation of bands who got into them via the 3xCD boxset.

I think you're essentially correct. Even if the box set never quantifiably sold well in comparison to similar artists (and for a band that isn't touring, physical media won't), it's been subsequently loaned, burned, uploaded and shared enough to get the music out, which was the point anyway.
Brinkman
first class
first class

Postby A Landing Craft on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:03 am

God, I love Wipers! Those first four albums rock my world, but it's hard to pick a favourite, because they all have their own sound and something unique and über catchy about them. If I had to choose, it'd be a toss up between Is This Real? (great drumming on this one too) and Youth Of America.
A Landing Craft
airliner
airliner

Postby jtyler on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Such a great band. Those first three records are bulletproof. If I absolutely had to choose, I'd probably call Over the Edge my favorite of the trilogy.
jtyler
pod
pod

Postby andyman on Wed May 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Aw man, not crap. I was having a bad evening, so I went for a walk and threw on Over the Edge.
Hell of a way to remember that instead of getting depressed it's better to get pissed off!

The constant attack of the vocals on that title track is second to none.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby jbar on Wed May 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Greg is a seriously dangerous guitar player. Was listening to OtE the other day and just kept hearing a bunch of stuff that made me go "dafug?"
jbar
walter mondale
walter mondale

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu May 31, 2018 9:55 am

cneutron wrote:What i'd really like is to get Greg Sage on PR. I think that is achievable.

There really isn’t enough in the public record about this dude. I’ve obly been able to find a handful of interviews.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Pasta on Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
cneutron wrote:What i'd really like is to get Greg Sage on PR. I think that is achievable.

There really isn’t enough in the public record about this dude. I’ve obly been able to find a handful of interviews.

Exactly how he seems to want it.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby A Landing Craft on Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:54 am

phpBB [media]

I'm currently in love with this song. I want to listen to this over and over.
A Landing Craft
airliner
airliner

Postby J. Burns on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:20 am

jbar wrote:Greg is a seriously dangerous guitar player. Was listening to OtE the other day and just kept hearing a bunch of stuff that made me go "dafug?"

Oh shit, those divebombs in “Up Front.”
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:58 am

I've been listening to their "Best Of..." album quite a bit lately as I've just come back from holidaying in the Pacific North West (including five days in Portland) and wanted to see if any of the city's atmosphere seeped into their music.

All I can say is, I wish I'd stumbled across this thread before downloading it. It was a complete false economy as I will almost certainly be buying the boxed set now. Wish they'd toured / been promoted more in the UK as I'd have discovered them a long time ago if they had.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
pod
pod

Postby askii on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:17 pm

J. Burns wrote:
jbar wrote:Greg is a seriously dangerous guitar player. Was listening to OtE the other day and just kept hearing a bunch of stuff that made me go "dafug?"

Oh shit, those divebombs in “Up Front.”

That Record Store Day NYE 1982 show is incredible. Even better than the "official" live album, I think. All the playing is shit-hot, but a large percentage of the guitar stuff is fucking unreal. Way more unhinged than on the records, just barely in control, and Sage's (decidedly non-lawyer) tone sounds huge on the recording. Super underrated vocalist, too. He's downright feral on some of this, somehow managing to snarl with ace timing and melody. I wish they'd have played 'YOA', but even the songs that aren't my faves are pretty compelling. There are a few I'd never heard and one of them, 'Heart on Fire', is top-shelf. And 'D-7', 'Potential Suicide', 'Pushing the Extreme'...holy balls. I don't think the Wipers are the best band of all time, but the thought involuntarily enters my mind while listening to this.
askii
viscount
viscount

Postby jbar on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:38 pm

I listened to that live record a bunch over the past couple weeks. Greg Sage! Nasty boy! Nasty, dangerous guitar boy!
jbar
walter mondale
walter mondale

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap