Queens of the Stone Age?

CRAP
22%
NOT CRAP
78%

Total votes : 165

Postby Angry_Dragon on Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:36 pm

The new one comes out March 22.
It's already leaked for those want a preview.
I hate the internets.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby Into the Void on Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:53 pm

Not Crap. Great hooks, interesting song structures. A bit too "wanky" at times but whatever. The waffle factor is high enough to change my vote, depending on the new album, which I heard is pretty bad and more like the Eagles of Death Metal.
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby 154 on Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:58 pm

just streamed some of the new songs from their site. it sounds like the foo fighters. this can't be good..

their first 2 are still great though
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby MorphineCharley on Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:17 pm

Crappy crap for jocks
MorphineCharley
carrot top
carrot top

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:26 pm

154 wrote:just streamed some of the new songs from their site. it sounds like the foo fighters.

this would make sense, based on something i heard a while back. that grohl had recorded an album for the foo fighters, and then he was brought in to play the drums on the QOTSA record (songs for the deaf) and went "WTF?!?!" and realized how much cooler the foo fighters could be... and he then totally reworked the FF stuff because being involved in that QOTSA record kinda woke him up as to how much better music he should be making.

so it would make sense that QOTSA would sound like FF, since FF was retooled to sound like QOTSA a few years back.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby unarmedman on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:00 am

this would make sense, based on something i heard a while back. that grohl had recorded an album for the foo fighters, and then he was brought in to play the drums on the QOTSA record (songs for the deaf) and went "WTF?!?!" and realized how much cooler the foo fighters could be... and he then totally reworked the FF stuff because being involved in that QOTSA record kinda woke him up as to how much better music he should be making.

that's really interesting, because i remember listening to the new foo fighters cd and thinking how much dave grohl had borrowed from QOTSA. especially songs like "low". i really like QOTSA though, R is much better of an album to me though.
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill
unarmedman
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby 154 on Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:01 am

so it would make sense that QOTSA would sound like FF, since FF was retooled to sound like QOTSA a few years back

this is probably true, but the bits i heard sounded like FF circa 8 years ago or something (especially the albums 'single'). oh, and there was a bit that strongly resembled the buzzcocks' "everybody's happy nowdays". odd.

Postby revrantMeat on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:47 pm

dave grohl.
NOT CRAP
revrantMeat
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby woo on Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:29 pm

dave grohl great drummer
Queens of the stone age shit,shit,shit.
woo
adjutant
adjutant

Postby tmidgett on Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:22 pm

the foof lighters are terrible

queens of the stone age are not bad. i liked that 'no one knows' song a lot. the rest of that record was decent. not over the top. sounded kind of bad, esp the drums.

i vote not crap on queens of the stone age, based on the one record
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby mattw on Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:39 am

The drums were recorded horribly on that QOTSA record

You get a great drummer like Dave Grohl, at least make him sound good- WTF??!!
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby 154 on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:22 am

i wouldn't blame the engineer or whoever on the queens record for grohl's drums sounding 'like shit'. his drums have always sounded like nerf balls in my opinion, it's just more obvious when there isn't any ambience to cover it up.

Postby alpha80 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:16 pm

Searched... Found. 8)

They're far from great.

But, they are one of the few big new bands...

...that are NOT CRAP.
alpha80
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby elmofreech on Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:27 pm

a good band. lots of interesting stuff in those songs, but i don't always like the more jokey things.

the drums sound so quiet to me on Songs for the Deaf. lame.

not crap.

as far as the foo fighters go, i've always enjoyed "everlong" and every single fucking time i've seen them play on a tv show they fucking kill it. But i'd never listen to an album.
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby Ty Webb on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:08 pm

A long time QOTSA fan, I've actually been disappointed with the last two releases, though not terribly so. There are still damn good songs on both. But the first two, and especially the debut, (not counting the split with Kyuss) are superior.

Accessible and heavy rarely go together for me, but that first QOTSA album managed it.

NOT CRAP with slight WF for recent tepidness
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Sebastian J. on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:18 pm

Grohl looked like a nice dude back then. now he's crap.
Love "QOTSA" and "Rated R" ....
the last one really sucked ...
Nick out of the band ...
CRAP !
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Ty Webb on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:23 pm

The only good thing about Nick being out of the band is no more QOTSA songs with Nick "singing."
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby .eater on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:33 pm

Ty Webb wrote:The only good thing about Nick being out of the band is no more QOTSA songs with Nick "singing."

So I take it you're not a cocaine rodeo fan then...me neither. The sad thing is, there's a song on one of the desert sessions that he sings on and it sounds pretty cool until the (sigh) chorus: Pollyyyyy wants a crack-rock!

Utterly shameful...Glad to see this thread again.

-Jon
.eater
grover
grover

Postby kenoki on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:37 pm

i think they are GREAT! i had this cd for a long long long time, years, that i listened to a LOT without ever knowing who the band was or the album, only the year and the label. i'd just go around singing about dirty hippies. by the way,if you have a band, please put your name on the cd... anyway, i ended up figuring out it was kyuss. this pretty much inflamed my like for qotsa to what it is today. i think they are very entertaining.
kenoki
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Ty Webb on Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:42 pm

kenoki wrote:i think they are GREAT! i had this cd for a long long long time, years, that i listened to a LOT without ever knowing who the band was or the album, only the year and the label. i'd just go around singing about dirty hippies. by the way,if you have a band, please put your name on the cd... anyway, i ended up figuring out it was kyuss. this pretty much inflamed my like for qotsa to what it is today. i think they are very entertaining.

Are you talking about Welcome To Sky Valley? Quite possibly my favorite rock album of all time. Kyuss seared my soul.

And eater, you're right, never could stomach Cocaine Rodeo. Okay, Nick, we get it. Enough already.
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap