Queens of the Stone Age?

CRAP
22%
NOT CRAP
78%

Total votes : 165

Re: Band: Queens of the Stone Age

Postby Mr. Chimp on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 am

dabrasha wrote:Their s/t debut is something else. Been listening to it a lot this summer.

Alfredo Hernandez has a sledgehammer version of the motorik that leads songs around by the nose.

Does anyone know when this is going to be reissued? Mine went the way of mystery a number of years back.

It is the best album. Although I really like the one with Grohl on it, more than I expected.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

I bass Century Rocket Building & Small Awesome

I drum Light Coma & Bully Pulpit & BooKoos
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby givemenoughrope on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:13 am

s/t and sftd are the best. used to listen to them often. some tunes on rated r are tops as well. the kyuss split is cool too. this could have been a great band.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby japmn on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:03 pm

I don't really know anything about this band but they have always struck me a a bunch of kind of fratty types that actually put a pretty good band together despite their friends demands that they cover a bunch of Pearl Jam songs.

NC
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Nina on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:36 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:
Nina wrote:If you are a fan of Yow, QOTSA or EODM, please buy a poster. All proceeds go to Brian's medical fund. Thanks.

More info

Hm. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the gallery will send them. I will inquire tomorrow. If they won't, pm me and I'll pick them up and send them out if you want one.

This is going to sound like party-pooing but I don't care.

I know the guy who used to drum in this band (EODM and QOTSA). Even though the group has sold a ton of albums and had songs placed everywhere short of the moon he still had to move work a lousy day job between long, money-making tours of the free world. Normally, day job for rock musicians, sure. This band, c'mon. He eventually quit when he realized that the band was a sweatshop.

The fact that these dude don't get health insurance through the band or something is insane. And now there's a benefit for what the owners of the band don't pay for to begin with. I would never run a "band" like this.

Get well soon cool, tall bass dude.

Thank you for being an asshole, asshole.
Great art is horseshit. Buy tacos. - Bukowski
Nina
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Evanc521 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:15 am

Everything before Songs for the Deaf is pretty cool, SFTD has a few gems but is kind of ehhh for me.
Evanc521
jasper johns
jasper johns

Postby cneutron on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:14 pm

Holy uncle of fuck, I started this C/NC 7 years ago.
Wow!

Yeah, not much to say... they are one of the only mainstream bands I truly dig.
The one complaint I will say is that every record after SFTD has had UG-LEAH artwork.

I think Oliveri's magical presence in the band is completely overstated, but if he had something to do with artwork being more like this:

instead of like this:

well... maybe that was a loss.
As far as the music, I still love it.
And yes, count me as one of those that were never that impressed with Kyuss either.

I think Them Crooked Vultures is much better than this forum gives it credit for. That said, I am eager to hear the next QOTSA record, big time. It's interesting to me that they are making big rock music, but not in a way that is overly referential to a particular time period or over fetishized genre (see White Stripes), or overly referential to the genre that bore them out. It's a fine line, but I think they've done a pretty good job of it and I'm glad they are.
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Mark Lansing on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 pm

squarewave wrote:
bleh. wrote:
Into the Void wrote:I can't remember where I read it but supposedly Oliveri and Homme have reconciled their differences and Oliveri will be on the next QOTSA album.

that would be sweet.

I am not one to tell a guy how to live, but I hope he has a handle on his shit.

I would love to see that lineup.

Nick's handle on his shit seems to have gone south:
http://www.spinner.com/2011/07/13/queen ... -standoff/

I think Josh Homme cut Nick loose at about the right time.
"Everything should be kept. I regret everything I’ve ever thrown away." -- Richard Hell
Mark Lansing
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby crustandcrumb on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:14 pm

their good stuff is pretty good. i like their more rocking numbers, like sick sick sick. dave's drumming on songs for the deaf is great, and there are some good tunes on that record, too.

the front man seems like a shitbag, but i like his guitar tone, and his vocals are alright, too.

at the end of the day, i'm gonna listen to something nosier every time. but if they happen to come on somewhere where I am at, cool.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby cneutron on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Mark Lansing wrote:
squarewave wrote:
bleh. wrote:
Into the Void wrote:I can't remember where I read it but supposedly Oliveri and Homme have reconciled their differences and Oliveri will be on the next QOTSA album.

that would be sweet.

I am not one to tell a guy how to live, but I hope he has a handle on his shit.

I would love to see that lineup.

Nick's handle on his shit seems to have gone south:
http://www.spinner.com/2011/07/13/queen ... -standoff/

I think Josh Homme cut Nick loose at about the right time.

Totally, to say dude is a loose cannon is putting it mildly.

Also you have to love how this article, not only uses a 7 year old press photo with him back in Queens of the Stone Age, but has a misleading title that would make you think he was still in that band too. Way to go fact checking!

They had to be called out in the facebook comments before making a half assed correction.
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
cneutron

Postby prowler on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 am

grohl, oliveri, trent reznor involved in the new album.

http://www.antiquiet.com/studio-reports ... cache=1234

could be great, could be their st anger.
i wonder if they've been filming
prowler
took picture of naked guy

Postby Dovey on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:49 am

d'you know what? fuck those dudes for letting oliveri back in the fold. if anyone ever deserved an ostracism it's that asshole
Mason wrote:What 2014 needs less of is branding.
Dovey

Postby Ptommydski on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:30 am

On the one hand I agree with you but on the other, you can also see loosely see this as being akin to giving a convict a job when they are fresh out of prison. I doubt most people here consider people who have broken the law or done something genuinely despicable to be inhuman and thus, there comes a point whereby you have to work out what their place in society is post-offence. Presumably permanently ostracising somebody would have a dehumanising effect and may well contribute to repeat offending.

I don't particularly like bald beardy dude but he's a professional musician and Homme has given him work as a musician. I'm not sure that's as disgraceful as it might immediately appear.
Ptommydski

Postby givemenoughrope on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:53 am

Nina wrote:Thank you for being an asshole, asshole.

you're welcome.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby cneutron on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Ptommydski wrote:On the one hand I agree with you but on the other, you can also see loosely see this as being akin to giving a convict a job when they are fresh out of prison. I doubt most people here consider people who have broken the law or done something genuinely despicable to be inhuman and thus, there comes a point whereby you have to work out what their place in society is post-offence. Presumably permanently ostracising somebody would have a dehumanising effect and may well contribute to repeat offending.

I don't particularly like bald beardy dude but he's a professional musician and Homme has given him work as a musician. I'm not sure that's as disgraceful as it might immediately appear.

At first I was going to quote Dovey's post and be like: "YEAH! Exactly." then I decided to quote Ptommydski's post and be like: "YEAH! Exactly"

YEAH! Exactly.
cneutron

Postby Evin Relocation on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 am

Can't wait to hear this band, that was admittedly pretty damned good ten years ago, bore me to fucking tears with yet even more mid-tempo "STOMPIN' RAWK!" action.

Slowly dismantling your reason to exist + jock assholism + "whoa edgy drug abuse!" = Me jumping off your ship.

Edit: Anybody else feel that for a band that seems so into "good times!" imagery and the like that they're about as "fun" as watching a toddler's autopsy?
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby prowler on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:35 am

Dovey wrote:d'you know what? fuck those dudes for letting oliveri back in the fold. if anyone ever deserved an ostracism it's that asshole

apparently grohl and oliveri won't be permanent members, they're just contributing to the record :?
prowler

Postby Antero on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:31 am

Ptommydski wrote:On the one hand I agree with you but on the other, you can also see loosely see this as being akin to giving a convict a job when they are fresh out of prison. I doubt most people here consider people who have broken the law or done something genuinely despicable to be inhuman and thus, there comes a point whereby you have to work out what their place in society is post-offence. Presumably permanently ostracising somebody would have a dehumanising effect and may well contribute to repeat offending.

This is the right answer, nah? I imagine, given that he's not a "permanent" member but is "contributing," that he's on band-probation.

People fuck up in life. I'm sure a lot of us here have friends who have taken too many of the wrong drugs and had to claw their way back to functionality. I'm certainly not going to hate on Homme for letting the guy come back.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:12 am

First two records were totally NC and I lost interest after those.

This rocks.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby Bill Swansea on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:50 am

emmanuelle cunt wrote:First two records were totally NC and I lost interest after those.

This rocks.

Yes, also:

The first three albums are brilliant, like. Thing is, while I found it easy to say "Nick Oliveri" had the spirit of the band considering how bland everything went after he left, he didn't even play on the first album and that's the most badass of all! I think Homme is to blame. The guy can still write great riffs (see "3's & 7's" on the last album), but fuck knows if he can still write a whole album of them.
big_dave wrote:Hark at this boy and his "we".

He was Welsh yesterday.
Bill Swansea
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Bernardo on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:53 am

I thought Lullabies, though too long (like all of their records), had a lot of great tracks in it, my favourite being:

I don't get the "good times" vibe from this band at all, though. That always seemed ironic to me.
Bernardo

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap