Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Low?

CRAP
6%
NOT CRAP
94%

Total votes : 202

Postby tommydski on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:54 pm

I think that John Lennon was British and that Neil Young is Canadian.

James Brown, Bob Dylan and Don Van Vliet are definitely up there with the best. So is Sparhawk.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:56 pm

tommydski wrote:I think that John Lennon was British and that Neil Young is Canadian.

James Brown, Bob Dylan and Don Van Vliet are definitely up there with the best. So is Sparhawk.

You never said the songwriters had to be American.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby tommydski on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:56 pm

tommydski wrote:The dude is entitled to a bit of madness, he has to be one of the best songwriters the US has ever produced.
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:03 pm

tommydski wrote:
tommydski wrote:The dude is entitled to a bit of madness, he has to be one of the best songwriters the US has ever produced.

Fine, whatever.

James Brown, Captain Beefheart, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis... at any rate, I've proved my point - that I could name at least a couple songwriters off the top of my head that have written at least one hundred really incredible songs.

I don't think Alan Sparhawk has written a song anywhere close to that level of excellence in his life. That's fine, because almost no one gets to that level. It doesn't mean Sparhawk is bad. He's fine. I like him well enough. Maybe I need to get some more Low albums and hear some of these songs for myself - otherwise you're never going to convince me that he is one of the great American songwriters.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby Gulley Jimson on Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:33 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
tommydski wrote:

Fine, whatever.

James Brown, Captain Beefheart, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Miles Davis.

+1 +: Lou Reed, John Fogerty, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Hank Williams Sr., Bill Monroe, Johnny Cash, Steve Cropper, Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd, Issac Hayes & David Porter, Sly Stone, Dan Penn, Chips Moman, Spooner Oldham, Allen Tousaint Alex Chilton, Smokey Robinson, Kris Kristofferson, Duke Ellington, Henry Mancini, Norman Whitfield, Barrett Strong, Robert Johnson, Emmit Rhodes, Rick Nielsen, Brian Wilson, Townes Van Zandt, Cole Porter, Rogers & Hart, The Mississippi Sheiks, Curt Kirkwood, Greg Sage, D. Boon, Bob Mould, Judee Sill, plus almost literally countless others alongside whom Sparhawk doesn't deserve to be mentioned ...

...Plus guy's a dick for throwing his guitar at people.
"The four scowling men sat in the dingey and surpassed records in the invention of epithets."
-Stephen Crane
Gulley Jimson
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby eephour on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:12 am

haha, nice.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby tommydski on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:05 am

The issue here seems to be one of comprehension. The statement is and always has been -

Give every word in the sentence its due because they are all there for a reason.

Alan Sparhawk is definitely one of the best songwriters the US has ever produced. Out of the billions of people who have been born in America, he's an example of the absolute top one percent. So is Matt Kadane, so is Tim Midgett, so is Will Oldham.

I'm not going to budge on this because I think I'm right.
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby dr. benway on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:15 am

I agree with tommy here, even disregarding the US-centric aspect. I'd much rather listen to a Sparhawk song than a Lennon one.
Dr. Venkman wrote:The trick is in the way you have to "walk it in" from 20 feet outside the bathroom door to the bowl. The boner whiz is an uncontrollable beast; a bitch-goddess. She giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other.
dr. benway
piece of shit
piece of shit

Postby Gulley Jimson on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:22 am

tommydski wrote:The issue here seems to be one of comprehension. The statement is and always has been -

Give every word in the sentence its due because they are all there for a reason.

Alan Sparhawk is definitely one of the best songwriters the US has ever produced. Out of the billions of people who have been born in America, he's an example of the absolute top one percent. So is Matt Kadane, so is Tim Midgett, so is Will Oldham.

I'm not going to budge on this because I think I'm right.

No, I comprehend you perfectly well: you think that Alan Sparhawk is one of the best songwriters the US has ever produced. I, on the other hand, do not. We simply have different opinions on the matter. That is all. (And that is fine.)
"The four scowling men sat in the dingey and surpassed records in the invention of epithets."
-Stephen Crane
Gulley Jimson
prosecutor
prosecutor

Postby Rimbaud III on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:32 am

I fucking *love* Low, but I'll tell you this much - had he sent a guitar flying in my direction, and had said airborne guitar hit me, I would have jumped up on that stage and choked him with my testicles.
Rimbaud III
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Isabelle Gall on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:46 pm

tommydski wrote:The dude is entitled to a bit of madness, he has to be one of the best songwriters the US has ever produced. Nobody tours as much as Low either. Can't imagine how much of a pain in the ass constant touring must be.

Why do it then, why tour at all if you don't want to play any shows? Low are far from a fledgling band seeking to spread their wings and sign the contract at any cost. Why agree to play shows if you're going to act like a prick about it?

I don't think a songwriter, irrespective of their worth, should be entitled to any more madness than anyone else. If someone on the checkout till threw a melon at your head for no reason i'm not sure how forgiving you could be under those circumstances.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tommydski on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:52 pm

Their reasons for touring are presumably the same as they are for anyone else.

Touring creates this strange cabin fever though. After a while you can really start to consider doing things which are completely irrational. The situation seems to breed outbursts like this.

All I'm saying is don't write the dude off as a prick for life just because of one incident where he lost his rag and did something stupid. Judge him for the other hundred million shows he's played where nothing bad happened and people had the time of their lives.
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby ssakmule on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Hmmm, lots of Low talk. I have never listened to a single song by them.
tommydski wrote:He's written probably around one hundred really incredible songs

considering only the studio albums, 8 (bracket & 8 turns it into a sleazy icon), you have 101 songs to choose from.
Lonesome Bulldog wrote:As long as elites are in the minority, minorities will stay in the majority of the poor.
sunlore wrote:Germany equals Rocco Siffredi football: if you have a hole, they will exploit it.
ssakmule
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby tommydski on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:46 pm

Not to mention this incredible B-Sides compilation and half a dozen EPs.
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Allan Sims on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Isabelle Gall wrote:Why do it then, why tour at all if you don't want to play any shows?

I don't think anyone was claiming that Low "don't want to play any shows."

But besides that, I'm sure a big reason why Low tours is because touring is the only way to make any money if you are a band as small (in the relative scheme of things) as Low.
Allan Sims
spoon bender
spoon bender

Postby Rodabod on Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:08 pm

I love Low, but I wasn't very impressed with them recently at ATP which was the first time I've seen them. In fact, I wish I'd gone to see another band at the time instead.

Still, not crap.
Rodabod
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm

tommydski wrote:All I'm saying is don't write the dude off as a prick for life just because of one incident where he lost his rag and did something stupid.

Ok. Fair enough.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby MrWarandieBoy on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:39 pm

i don't think alan sparhawk is exactly the most stable of people, at least not over the last few years. hell, watch the 'you may need a murderer' dvd for evidence of that. the dude is obviously still recovering from some heavy shit. sounds like he had a pretty horrendous day and kind of snapped. i just hope he can get past this stuff which is obviously bothering him.

the two times i've seen low have been amazing, and the show i saw at the start of this year was one of the best i've seen.
MrWarandieBoy
"nick the greek" dandolos
"nick the greek" dandolos

Postby Rimbaud III on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:07 am

This is nice.

As is this.

I've listened to very little else this week.
Rimbaud III

Postby johnnyshape on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:13 am

I don't half like California.
johnnyshape
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap