Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

This Heat?

CRAP
5%
NOT CRAP
95%

Total votes : 165

Postby connor on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:02 am

Just found a bootleg from 1982 with a song called "Greenfingers" on it. This isn't on the boxset. Good stuff.

Anyone have a decent recording of it?
deep.BTUz wrote:I'm into girls, physical fitness and real estate.

Ya'know actual accomplishments.
connor
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby etch on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:02 am

Thanks for bringing these guys up, never heard of them, now I have a new band to collect!

I third the Scritti Politti comments, early stuff is great. I heard the latest thing is good, have not heard it though.
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby stewie on Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:10 am

connor wrote:Just found a bootleg from 1982 with a song called "Greenfingers" on it. This isn't on the boxset. Good stuff.

Anyone have a decent recording of it?

"Greenfingers" was a song on the EP of the same name by Camberwell Now, a great band who also featured Charles Hayward.

But looking here I see that This Heat played "Greenfingers" in 1982 on that bootleg, so perhaps it was a This Heat song first.

http://www.squidco.com/rer/Hayward.Charles.html

Goddamn it I love both of those bands.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby CJMcG on Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:03 am

Up there with Can as far as influences goes.
CJMcG
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby hip priest on Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:43 pm

An anthology of everything Camberwell Now released is out very soon on RER. Well worth getting.

http://www.rermegacorp.com/Merchant2/me ... ry_Code=CU
daniel robert chapman wrote:The biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased cunts.
hip priest
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby BadComrade on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:00 pm

I kinda know the dude that mastered the first version of "Made Available". His wife was in a band with some of the dudes from this heat, and she's trying to put their recorded works out. He works for CBS / Sony records in the UK. He pretty much just sits in a room all day listening to master tapes and using lots of equipment and his ear to learn info about the recordings (if they're true stereo, that fake stereo bullshit, mono, etc etc etc). His name's Dave.
I played a drum in Tijuana Hercules.
Boombats wrote:I can't expect someone who plays an aluminum 12-string bass to have a sense of restraint.
BadComrade
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby leland_yee on Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:40 am

punishing shit, i love it and wish i could afford that fucking box set. an emphatic NC.
leland_yee
novitiate
novitiate

Postby Mr Egg on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:00 pm

A small treat for us Brummies tomorrow night (as if SuperSonic wasn't enough!)

19th July 2007 @ Hare & Hounds, Kings Heath

The Curate's Egg Present Charles Hayward (This Heat), The Courtesy Group, Bee Stung Lips And DJ Set From Broadcast

Twenty second sample of what Charles Hayward does live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UppqkgvjUbU
Mr Egg
marshall
marshall

Postby tarandfeathers on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Dylan wrote:And I would probably guess Shellac were inspired by more direct influences for 1000 Hurts.

You mean the first few volumes of the Grateful Dead's "Dick's Picks" series, right?

N/C WF=0
tarandfeathers
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:17 pm

I haven't heard this band, but I want to. I'd never even heard of them before Steve mentioned them on the Brit punk vs. hardcore thread a while back.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Sweet Movie on Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:32 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:I haven't heard this band

Maybe you could hear them first, and then post on the poll devoted to them.
Sweet Movie
busher
busher

Postby SecondEdition on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:41 pm

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:I haven't heard this band, but I want to. I'd never even heard of them before Steve mentioned them on the Brit punk vs. hardcore thread a while back.

I could volunteer to send you a copy of Deceit, but I would warn you away from that, as I am a notoriously awful package sender.

Maybe I should send you two or three songs from that album through email and see how you dig it? Basically: Steve's Shellac guitar tone sounds like a combination of Andy Gill and Charles Bullen, who was This Heat's guitar player. This Heat is difficult. There's a lot of tape manipulation and splicing, and two of the three members originally came from progressive rock backgrounds. The third member, Gareth Williams, was a self-described "non-musician" who played a ton of different things and, most importantly, was an engineer (I think) who loved using/abusing tape for bizarro effects. Williams later became a quite solid bassist, which contributes to the strong ensemble playing on Deceit very much. They are one of the greatest postpunk bands ever, and Deceit, which is the only album of theirs I have, is a masterpiece. Bleak, occasionally terrifying, often obscure and tough to follow, and also catchy with tons of influences you never even see coming. Charles Hayward's vocals have often been compared to Robert Wyatt's - another singing British prog-rock drummer - though Hayward can be extraordinarily intense and scary, whereas Wyatt usually doesn't go near that kind of expression, I think.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that Deceit appears to be a thematic song/piece cycle about nuclear war.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby tarandfeathers on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:14 am

SecondEdition wrote:Edit: I also forgot to mention that Deceit appears to be a thematic song/piece cycle about nuclear war.

I don't think the whole album is about that, but certainly the last song/two songs. There's a good story in the book about the original plan for the cover of the album, which was to have the 'punk' band playing in a grotty basement/whatever and then on the rear of the sleeve show the plugs from all their equipment running back through the grid to a nuclear power plant.
tarandfeathers

Postby A Landing Craft on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:20 pm

Definitely NOT CRAP.

Complex and involving without ever being self-indulgent, and could be sometimes be very unsettling - for example, "Graphic/Varispeed" sounds very hypnotic and relaxing regardless of what version it is, while "Music Like Escaping Gas" and "Hi/Baku/Shyo" could only work as This Heat tracks. If you put them in the hands of other performers from around the time, they wouldn't have had the same effect.

After a show back in October, I talked to Charles Hayward afterwards, and he mentioned that there'll be more TH stuff planned for release by ReR in the future. Don't take my word for it, though.
A Landing Craft
marmoset
marmoset

Postby sack of smashed assholes on Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:33 pm

this is a new one for me, but wow, not crap.
sack of smashed assholes

Postby sphincter on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:39 pm

Not Crap. Jesus, does anything qualify for Crap/Not Crap? Because this is up there with oxygen and God.
coffin or new guy
sphincter
ben affleck
ben affleck

Postby SecondEdition on Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:39 pm

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby sphincter on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:20 am

SecondEdition wrote:...

Ouch, calm down, I was just sayin'...
coffin or new guy
sphincter
ben affleck
ben affleck

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:21 pm

sphincter wrote:
SecondEdition wrote:...

Ouch, calm down, I was just sayin'...

no, no, you're getting me wrong - I had something written there but it was ultimately meaningless (read: even more stupid than some of the bullshit I spew here), so I got rid of it.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby gse on Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:45 am

someone had burnt me some This Heat a while ago but i never got round to listening to it untill recently and im well impressed. a big NC
gse
gallagher
gallagher

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap