Band: Bedhead

CRAP
3%
NOT CRAP
97%

Total votes : 117

Re: Band: Bedhead

Postby Major on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 am

jtyler wrote:I bought that Numero box set and didn't have issues with any of the records. Kind of concerning to hear that they may not be up to snuff with their QA, though. Has anyone here bought any of their Unwound sets? I was thinking of trying to pick up No Energy at some point in the near future.

My buddy bought the first 2 and had to send them both back because of pressing flaws.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby askii on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:45 pm

Major wrote:
jtyler wrote:I bought that Numero box set and didn't have issues with any of the records. Kind of concerning to hear that they may not be up to snuff with their QA, though. Has anyone here bought any of their Unwound sets? I was thinking of trying to pick up No Energy at some point in the near future.

My buddy bought the first 2 and had to send them both back because of pressing flaws.

One more data point here. I bought the Bedhead box, and both WFLW and Beheaded had serious issues with either warp or non-fill/other surface defects. Been a while since I checked, but I think the "extras" discs were a little dodgy too. Transaction was fine, but then my original was fairly minty. I gave the first two another shot by buying the separate LPs that were released later -- ridic, I know, but an indication of how stoked I'd been at the prospect of finally having copies where the surface noise wasn't as loud as all the quiet parts of the music. With WFLW, second time was the charm, but Beheaded was just as bad as the first copy and I ended up keeping my original and selling the surplus.

Same story, if not worse, with the Codeine box. And I took the bait there too with the multiple-copies foolishness. In that case, it seemed like the problem was the light pressing weights and the way they were tacoed to squeeze into those dumb outer sleeves.

Happily, I can report that I own all the Unwound sets (and the Giant Henry LP), and they are all flawless. Dead quiet, perfectly flat pressings, and mastering-wise I think they sound better than the originals I had to compare. Those are the most recent Numero releases I've bought, so perhaps their QA/QC is getting better? One can hope.

That is my Steve Hoffman-approved consumer report. It's frustrating that they put such obviously loving effort into the research, mastering, design and packaging phases of these projects, only to press the actual music onto a triscuit. I suppose telling Numero all this would do more good than bitching on the PRF, but I'm sure they lurk here as much as I have over the last dozen years.

Oh, and Bedhead is obviously NOT CRAP. They're the musical translation of the insomniac inner dialogue of someone who's got some academia damage, and as such, some of the most eerily "dude, get out of my head!" music I've ever heard.
askii
cannon fodder
cannon fodder

Postby mookie1010 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:29 am

No issues with either of the 2 sets mentioned here. What Fun Life Was and Leaves Turn Inside you sound weird because they were recorded weird.
mookie1010
strongbad
strongbad

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap