World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby the Classical on Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:33 am

couple good songs, buit basically crap
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:48 am

I can't find a single redeeming quality in this band.

For the people who do like them, what gives? I'm legitimately interested in hearing what you have to say because I'm totally baffled that anyone gives a single shit about these guys.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Justin Foley on Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:05 pm

Bradley -

Well, I don't have too much of an opinion about these guys, but here are a few observations -

1. On a fluke, I saw them play at a small club in NYC (Unannounced show! Wow!) about a year ago. It was filled with people who were very excited to see them play and who immediately began going nuts as soon as the first note was played. The band fed off the energy immediately, and it was a really fun show. This show was not the same as seeing the Jesus Lizard play Lounge Ax in 1992, which was another example of hometown faves playing the hometown at the peak of their grace. Still, had you been in the room, I guess that you might reconsider your "there's no appeal to this band". Context.

2. Speaking of which, they are really the poster child band if someone who wants to easily describe a scene in NYC that's been around for the past 5 or so years. Of course, anyone could take apart that last sentence and nitpick it, but my response would be - "you know what I'm talking about". As a music 'scene' tends to be about personal relationships, presentation (graphics, maybe fashion), a musical sound, publications, personalities and venues, the YYY's have been near a lot of each of these in NYC. It's not my thing personally, but if the NYC Electroclash/Disco-Punk/retro-whatever world had to send one band to the 2004 International Battle of the Scenes, it would probably be these guys.

3. As a final defense, they're better than the Strokes.

4. Take this for what it's worth. I seem to like typing today, but I could give or take the YYY's and the world they came from.

= Justin
Justin Foley
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Justin Foley on Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:19 pm

Give or take? I meant 'take or leave'.

= Justin

Huh?
Justin Foley

Postby mattw on Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:48 pm

Last edited by mattw on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattw

Postby mattw on Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:54 pm

mattw

Re: Band: Yeah Yeah Yeah's

Postby Lobster Magnet on Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:19 pm

I like them alot. They were really, really good live. Nick has alot of interesting guitar sounds, Brian's drumming is really good, and Karen has a cool style, looks and sounds. :]

Not crap.
Lobster Magnet
les miserables
les miserables

Postby tthomas on Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:07 am

I can't agree with any of these comments about them being a good live band. I saw them play with The Locust last year and was completely bored out of my mind. I thought the music was limp and the performance was phoned in at best. The crowd seemed to be really into it though, singing along, dancing, etc., so there wasn't a lack of energy from the crowd. The band just didn't seem to be returning any of it. I kept hoping they would get better but they never did. I didn't stick around for the encore.

Total Crap
tthomas
busher
busher

Postby gcbv on Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:14 am

I get nervous when I see videos.
But I digress. Please continue with the squirrel circuit semantic debate.
gcbv
ed o'neill
ed o'neill

Postby sixteenrev on Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:19 pm

Justin from Queens wrote:2. Speaking of which, they are really the poster child band if someone who wants to easily describe a scene in NYC that's been around for the past 5 or so years. Of course, anyone could take apart that last sentence and nitpick it, but my response would be - "you know what I'm talking about".

This doesn't make it not crap.
unfortunately
sixteenrev
pod
pod

Postby Severance Package on Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:47 pm

Back when they were still on Touch and Go, I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs open for the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. I was really unimpressed, not just with the music but with how they presented themselves. Especially with how the guitarist played with his back to the audience the whole time.

Annoyingly, they came back for an encore. That's the only time I've ever seen an opening band do that.

A lot of people say that the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are one of those bands that sound better live than on record. Having heard both, I'd say they're both equally crap.
Severance Package
ward boss
ward boss

Postby kerble on Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:34 am

"Maps" is lovely. If only the rest of their output came even close. The rest of their catalogue is C to the R to the A to the P.

Nice single, fucko.

Faiz
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby horsewhip on Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:31 am

Crap crap crap.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Postby Stef on Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:24 pm

CRAPOLA. So what if the singer is sexy. What's with all this MTV/Rolling stone pseudo-art rock anyhow?
Stef
fan
fan

Postby Tom on Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:01 pm

My girlfriend bought their album and I made fun of her for it. Then she got sad and I had to say"Oh they're not that bad...now that I'm listening to the album."

Well, I lied. They are that bad.
Last edited by Tom on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby revrantMeat on Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:25 pm

first album has a couple of good tracks. drums sound good.

everything else i've heard was pretty bad.
Last edited by revrantMeat on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
revrantMeat
ben franklin
ben franklin

Postby stephensolo on Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:01 pm

i saw them play a small club in orlando about a year and a half ago - i was impressed. the guitarist works hard to create alot of space and ambience on stage, which i expected not to get with the live show. if you think of them as garage rock band, it comes as a surprise, the depth of tones he gets. and the drummer, he is very good. plus he plays his kit jazz style, which usually means sucky rock drumming, but it lends to a fresh set of beats. those two guys can play. karen o was a little annoying. she should take some singing lessons. not crap.
stephensolo
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Postby Angry_Dragon on Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:47 pm

I'm gonna say CRAP but not always. Maps and a couple other songs are good because she isn't doing that Kathleen Hanna cheerleader bullshit that was kinda cool in the early 90s but is totally so early 90s and we are in the 00s now. Maybe I'm saying this because I never dated a cheerleader, but more than likely it's due to the fact that it's a shitty method of singing. My friend Chris did the dubesque parts that are tacked onto the end of a couple songs. Sadly, most people I know who really like these guys don't like these moments because they only like crap music like the YYYs.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby jim primate on Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:14 am

to steal from david spade again: "i liked them better the first time around when they were concrete blonde."

and also, that guitar player looks so much like a young nick cave it freaks me out.

and at least concrete blonde had more than one good song. probably like 7.
that damned fly wrote:i love you. now shut up.
jim primate
lardner
lardner

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap