Sublime?

Crap
91%
Not Crap
9%

Total votes : 78

Band: Sublime

Postby mattw on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:33 am

How this escaped the evil hands of the EA board is a mystery. Their SoCal brand of reggae/rapfolk is a true crap wonder to behold. WF: that one song. Whenever I think of this band, it brings to mind a bunch of suburban trust fund kids chillin' out in a Jeep and drinking tons of Mountain Dew. I don't know why that is.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Major on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:39 am

If I'm really drunk at a bar with an outdoor patio during the summertime and Sublime comes on, I don't mind one bit. It's better than Jimmy Buffett.

It's CRAP, but it could be worse...
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby gio on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:41 am

frat boy CRAP. But yes, there is much, much worse frat boy crap music. But, but... that doesn't make this band any less crap.

Though their influences are not crap (they sample a couple seconds of Double Nickels on the Dime in that one part of the album... "punk rock changed our lives").
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby tommydski on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:43 am

this band sullies the good name of crap.

absolutely mind boggling.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby a. james on Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:07 pm

when i was younger and the singer OD'd like the fat fucking loser he was, my brother was given a copy of the cd. i warned him if he left it in my CD player i'd destroy it.

destroy it i did.

it was as pleasing as whipping "the downward spiral" out the window of a moving car off a bridge into the river. it was nice.

nothing more satisfying that destroying albums of shitty music.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby BClark on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:01 pm

stop hating on sublime. they were a good band. they had a good sense of reggae, good timing as a cohesive band, good bass and good drums, tasteful guitar, and i liked the vocals as well. they also seriously hustled their music independently for a while which is more than most of us can say.
Last edited by BClark on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BClark
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby soup alex on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 pm

I am making music with my teeth, it is a bad habit of mine which I won't go into any further.

I would contest the idea that anyone could make sweeter music than I and my teeth.
soup alex
twain
twain

Postby glynnisjohns on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:19 pm

BClark wrote:stop hating on sublime. they were a good band. they had a good sense of reggae, good timing as a cohesive band, good bass and good drums, tasteful guitar, and i liked the vocals as well. they also seriously hustled their music independently for a while which is more than most of us can say.

The highlighted part is very true. I respect this band for this.

I sold many copies of "robbin the hood" before i heard or hated this band so.

The rest of your statement (in my opinion) is false. Or at least exactly the opposite of everything you said.

Sublime can fuck right off into the sunset for all i care.
So can their Quite large legion of followers.

Suck shit sublime.
glynnisjohns

Postby seanurban on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:37 pm

that damned fly wrote:it was as pleasing as whipping "the downward spiral" out the window of a moving car

you're not the first person i know who has done this.
i think my friend heard ghosts or demons and got scared though.
seanurban
King High

Postby tipcat on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:43 am

BClark wrote:a good sense of reggae

priceless, this one is.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:20 am

1. the downward spiral is not a great album, by any means. and trent reznor is probably the most overrated musical artist of the 90's. but i did lots of shrooms and acid to that album in college so i have a soft spot in my psyche for it.

2. sublime is not a great band. but there are few things lamer than dismissing a band based solely on their audience. that would be like dismissing shellac, big black and rapeman just because their core audience are a bunch of white thritysomethings that are desperately clinging to some twisted sense of coolness they felt in high school. instead, these people should be dismissing all of the above bands solely because they suck musically.
Uncle Ovipositor wrote:In Tokyo, the Japanese can pee in the streets...
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby sparky on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:24 am

Give us a kiss, cervix.
sparky
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Hardly Sublime.

Postby ReubenRemus on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:42 pm

Sublime: frat boy crap.

Shellac: intelligent college rock that is not crap.

Jeez, why would my tastes be like this? We are on the Electrical Audio board, after all. :)

Sorry to offend fans, but Sublime need to be cut down any chance they get. They are disgustingly overrated and someone needs to tell the truth.

Frat boys put Sublime on a worship pedestal the way drugged-out hippies put the Grateful Dead on a worship pedestal. It's just that simple.

Bradley Noel is given a Kurt Cobain level of worship by some. Sorry, but he really was not all that talented. People just like the "style," that's all. Anybody can like a band for a "style" and then ignore bland, generic songwriting that sounds better under the influence, I'm sure.

It was Sublime vs. Shellac in my dorm. Guess who was playing what? :)
ReubenRemus
seminarian
seminarian

Re: Hardly Sublime.

Postby chozo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:29 pm

ReubenRemus wrote:Sublime: frat boy crap.

[...]

Bradley Noel is given a Kurt Cobain level of worship by some. Sorry, but he really was not all that talented. People just like the "style," that's all. Anybody can like a band for a "style" and then ignore bland, generic songwriting that sounds better under the influence, I'm sure.

I guess seeing people like them for the 'style' allows you to hate them for the 'style' too? Blindly trouncing is even worse than arrogantly trumpeting.

The drums and bass were kitschy at times, but they were precisely so. And certainly as an instrumentalist the drummer never lacked in talent. The band set up a perfect backdrop for the singer's vocals, which made the song. Every song. His songs never had a hint of pretention to me, which is way more than I can say about almost any other band I listen to or have seen discussed on this forum. This singer was just a natural talent and his songs showed very little premeditation, just strumming and singing. The band was rough because of this, but it also made for a more immediate listening experience. Bland, generic songwriting? Hardly. Check your melody.
chozo
vice president
vice president

Postby tommydski on Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:35 pm

chozo wrote:Check your melody

run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Germ War on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:39 pm

I would sadly anticipate that if I were to hear anything other than the radio hits, I would enjoy some kind of teenage nostalgia from when I used to listen to this band. I once owned all three studio albums.

Now, however, I vote crap, with that nostalgic waffle factor (I really wouldn't feel bad about hearing "I Got Red" again).
Germ War
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby HOUSTON_M on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:37 pm

Like Tommy Stinson's (post-Replacements) band called "Perfect", this band "Sublime" didn't really live up to their name.
HOUSTON_M

Postby Antero on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:43 pm

I don't mind Sublime. They were decent, and probably could have gotten even better if the singer hadn't OD'ed... part of their appeal to me, of course, is that I'm a Los Angeles kid, and they really did sound pretty much exactly like Los Angeles during the time when they were active. A bit of this, a bit of that.

So, not crap.

But.

Sublime fans?

Some of the most hideous, obnoxious people on earth.

I know a lot of people who hate Sublime because of their fans; hell, I almost do. Who wants to cop to liking 'em if you have to stand next to a bunch of smelly potheads and idiot frattards?
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby a. james on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:26 pm

um, sublime lifted the vocal melody for "what i got" from the vocal melody for "lady madonna" by the beatles.

that's crap.

the fact they didn't get called on it, is more crap.

the fact the +90% of their fans don't know is crap.

sublime is crap. regardless of "reggae sense," talent, style, whatever, it's still swill. watery, boring, annoying crap.

and the singer od'd before anyone could make any money off it. leaving behind a child. being a parent and a junkie is crap.

"there's more to music than just letting it hit your ears," i've been told.

even at face value, letting the music hit my ears is something i'd rather not do. to dissect all the circumstances and situations behind this shitty, shitty band only emphasizes the point that this band is emphatically crap.

you can argue about the style, about the talent, whatever, if we were doing that then almost no band would be crap. there'd be something redeeming in destiny's child, or britney spears. but there isn't.

the cover art's bad, the music's bad, the playing while not bad, playing isn't what makes music good. nor is it style or talent, it's a combination of things, and within this combination i find nothing of note of this band sublime.

let's forget them.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby eephour on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:32 pm

crappy high school rock. But its not just the band itself that gets my crap vote, but for all the shitty bands that were in the vien of sublime. Like Pepper, Slightly Stoopid, Short Bus, No Doubt. Thats alot of crap to be chalked up to one band. Also, their "breakthough" album was almost half covers.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap