Artist: David Bowie

Postby mattw on Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:22 pm

Bowie.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Dylan on Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:32 pm

How did we miss this one?

I came late to the Bowie party, and I have a lot of catching up to do, but I love just about everything he's done. Except "China Girl". That sucks. I appreciate his forays into different milieus (bonds, drum-n-bass) because he could have just stayed in one place and become a nostalgia act. Instead, he has followed his restless spirit and created some nice moments. Great voice, too. NOT CRAP
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby kerble on Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:33 pm

Oh christ I love bowie.

One of my earliest childhood memories is begging my parents to let me stay up to watch a bowie concert on TV. And yes, he has written some utter shite (as he'd be the first to point out about the large amount of filler that decorates his discs). I had a heartbreaking musical epiphany to Space Oddity while doing food prep in the back of this Greek restaurant once and I named my cat after the big straight homo, bless 'em.

Thrilled was I the day I found a first pressing of Ziggy Stardust (what a solid masterpiece) for seven bones in this old book store. He's the only real "rock star" that I can think of that has maintained his "cool" and ppushed himself as an artist who isn't just cranking out best of's (although most of his best ofs/station to stations/ singles collections are stellar) and rehashing the same old swill (rolling stones, anyone?)

The forays into electronic music, while not necessarily my bag are fine cause he's unafraid to make mistakes (Dance Magic Dance from labyrinth is poo) and flop, yet still seems like he's ahead of his time. He keeps an ear to the ground for modern music and constantly champions new artists.

Oh shit, the Bowie DVD set is brilliant (such shit videos with poor production values for such gloriously homoerotic songs), Bowie at the Beeb is great.....

I better stop. I think I just convinced myself that Bowie is my favorite artist ever in music. Neat!

NNNNNOOOOOTTTTTCCRAAAAPPPPP.

P.S. You can blame 50% of China Girl on Iggy Pop and that's kinda fun.

Faiz
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mayfair on Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:48 pm

Not crap in any way. What pipes! The Live at the Beeb CD set also shows how advanced he was even at 20 years old.

China Girl and Blue Jean are just tiny blips on the radar compared to his A+ material. I think he is like 97% great, 3% not as great. Even a throw away song like that one about Bob Dylan has it's charms.

Scary Monsters is new every time I hear it!
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby placeholder on Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:27 am

very much NOT CRAP.

though he's given too much credit as an innovator (he isn't one), i think too many people write him off because the things he borrows from are often really obvious. the man could almost do no wrong between 1969-1980, and has made many, many more great records than bad ones. his best, in chronological order: stationtostation, low, "heroes", lodger, scary monsters.

i saw him live with nine inch nails and prick in 1995 (at some huge arena in st. louis), and a bunch of mall-goth douchebags left after nine inch nails finished their laughable set. i saw him live again in 1997 (at the around-1,000-capacity international ballroom in atlanta), and was right up front. these were two of the best shows i've ever been to.
Last edited by placeholder on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Mr. Chimp on Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:42 am

kerble wrote:.... the big straight homo....

Now that is some funny shit.

I personally favor the Eno collaborations - the only records I've had copies of, and I also really enjoyed the Outside album.

However, his recent cover of "Cactus" has been scientifically proven to cause giant brain tumors.

Still, The Thin White Duke shall forever be not crap.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby the Classical on Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:47 pm

allow me to be the lone dissenting opinion,
I like some Bowie tunes, I have a some Bowie records, I really like a couple of Bowie records in fact, but I stilled voted crap. Because, even tho there is music he has made that I enjoy, everything he does, to me, feels phony. It all feels like a sham, all the "innovations" and style changes and what not, there is a layer of distantance that feels impenetrable.

also, there is the quality drop of epic proportions, the constant "retiring", the constant "new record that's actually really good, oh wait, no it sucks"...he just comes across as so smugly please w/ himself, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Lodger is a great record...

still crap
the Classical
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby tmidgett on Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:05 pm

not crap, but not by a lot

i have a tendency to give people byes in crap/n.c. when they have done two or three very very good or great things of some length

i think _low_ and _stationtostation_ are great records, with _"heroes"_ half a notch below

his glam stuff, he wrote some good songs, but most of it is about 1/4 as good as high t. rex

and there is much bilge thereafter

but not crap for those middle recs

also, he has cool eyes and teeth, and a lot of style in general
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby gcbv on Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:48 pm

While I was watching the Pixies documentary, I suddenly came to the realization: "why the fuck is David Bowie such a Pixies authority?"

I think it has to do with a musical Midas aura he exhudes. Like whatever this guy likes, must be cool/good/valid/etc. Aural shit to gold.

So in that sense, he's CRAP, no pun intended.

I do dig the Bowie/Eno stuff, though.

so that is NOT CRAP.

hmm.
But I digress. Please continue with the squirrel circuit semantic debate.
gcbv
ed o'neill
ed o'neill

Postby Noah on Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:50 pm

i've never heard anything i liked by this guy

so, crap

-noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby Jeff on Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:09 pm

Bowie = steaming pile of sacred cow crap.

Since when did getting a new haircut count as reinventing rock?
Jeff
ward boss
ward boss

Postby Into the Void on Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:49 am

Jeff wrote:

Who ever said he reinvented rock??? And if you think all he's done is change haircuts a few times you haven't really paid attention or listened to his albums.

NOT CRAP (but yes, there has been a lot of crap)
Into the Void
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby kerble on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:04 pm

wes9 wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Who ever said he reinvented rock??? And if you think all he's done is change haircuts a few times you haven't really paid attention or listened to his albums.

NOT CRAP (but yes, there has been a lot of crap)

Gya!
Aside from using really diverse musical palettes and being constantly in the company of killer musicians (Frippery on Heroes is fresh and Ronson is a sick guitarist) to make his well crafted and lyrically crafty songs that much stronger, he's made the transition from "dirty hippie" to "aryan fairy" to "Linda McCartney" seem effortless.

Faiz
kerble

Ground control to Major CRAP.

Postby Christopher on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:52 pm

Maybe if he spent as much time writing interesting music as he seems to spend on developing "quirky" stage personas, i'd be interested.

Until then, this is a no-brainer CRAP vote.
Christopher
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby John W. on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:12 am

Just picked up 'Station to Station' as well as 'Man Who Sold the World' -- I love them both for different reasons.. 'Station' has that cold, alien production, while the other is pure Rock. The drumming on that record is so much fun! Here's a link about the drummer:

http://www.nndb.com/people/503/000091230/
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby glynnisjohns on Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:25 pm

kerble wrote:

Gya!
Aside from using really diverse musical palettes and being constantly in the company of killer musicians (Frippery on Heroes is fresh and Ronson is a sick guitarist) to make his well crafted and lyrically crafty songs that much stronger, he's made the transition from "dirty hippie" to "aryan fairy" to "Linda McCartney" seem effortless.

Faiz

Kerbles, you Cracks me ups!

Not Crap.

Take a record like Lets Dance, i used to despise that record. I gave it another listen a couple months ago and it was fookin amazing.

Scary Monsters, Eno Trilogy,Station to Station And........Heathen. Ha!
glynnisjohns
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby endofanera on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:01 pm

kerble wrote:Oh christ I love bowie.

One of my earliest childhood memories is begging my parents to let me stay up to watch a bowie concert on TV. And yes, he has written some utter shite (as he'd be the first to point out about the large amount of filler that decorates his discs). I had a heartbreaking musical epiphany to Space Oddity while doing food prep in the back of this Greek restaurant once and I named my cat after the big straight homo, bless 'em.

Thrilled was I the day I found a first pressing of Ziggy Stardust (what a solid masterpiece) for seven bones in this old book store. He's the only real "rock star" that I can think of that has maintained his "cool" and ppushed himself as an artist who isn't just cranking out best of's (although most of his best ofs/station to stations/ singles collections are stellar) and rehashing the same old swill (rolling stones, anyone?)

The forays into electronic music, while not necessarily my bag are fine cause he's unafraid to make mistakes (Dance Magic Dance from labyrinth is poo) and flop, yet still seems like he's ahead of his time. He keeps an ear to the ground for modern music and constantly champions new artists.

Oh shit, the Bowie DVD set is brilliant (such shit videos with poor production values for such gloriously homoerotic songs), Bowie at the Beeb is great.....

I better stop. I think I just convinced myself that Bowie is my favorite artist ever in music. Neat!

NNNNNOOOOOTTTTTCCRAAAAPPPPP.

P.S. You can blame 50% of China Girl on Iggy Pop and that's kinda fun.

Faiz

Faiz! Everything that you say about why you love Bowie are things that I've been saying to people about why I love Madonna. Everything! Straight homo = Bowie = Madonna! Salut!

If only for writing and performing one of my favorite rock songs of all time, "Panic in Detroit," Bowie is NOT CRAP.

"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Sverige on Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:10 pm

hunky dory is great. ziggy stardust is great

though i heard not too long ago that he once affiliated himself with neo nazi's at one point, and has since apologized for such behavior

can anyone prove or dispell this rumor? because it makes me feel wierd
soul_rancher wrote:"As she go up, she go down," like-a signor Pollardo and his Guided Della Voce sing
Sverige
ambulance chaser
ambulance chaser

Postby kerble on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:45 am

glynnisjohns wrote:
kerble wrote:

Gya!

Faiz

Kerbles, you Cracks me ups!

it's funny and true.

ImageImage
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby ironyengine on Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:26 pm

tmidgett wrote:also, he has cool eyes

You too can have eyes as cool as Bowie's.

Christopher_Dragon! I want you to give TheMadChaosopher David Bowie eyes!
I never thought I'd recover from the trouble that Youtube put me through...
ironyengine
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap