Band: The Decemberists

crap
84%
not crap
16%

Total votes : 79

Band: Decemberists

Postby Andrew L. on Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:20 am

What am I missing here? What do those of you who like this band hear that I don’t? Isn’t there some Celtic folk-rock group like this playing in any given $7/pint, faux-Irish, nouveau-yuppie, downtown pub most days of the working week?

Whenever I hear them I imagine them shooting a video on the pirate ship in West Edmonton Mall, just like the terrible Edmonton bands that sounded like this used to.

Does someone in the band write for Pitchfork or something?

What the hell.

There is a rather good political blog done by a former Democratic speechwriter entitled The Decembrist that is not crap, but this band is parrot crap.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Noah on Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:35 am

they're a total shitfest. i listened to one of their albums once. they'd be kind of cool if they just took a lot of pictures of themselves,

but they record also.

-noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby mattw on Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:49 pm

Arrrrrr matey! I'll take Flogging Molly instead...

crap
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby slowriot on Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:20 pm

when i first heard them i thought they wrote really effective pop songs, but the more i listen to their albums now i have this image of a guy huddled up writing lyrics that are trying too hard to be smart and ironic/funny. but they come off sounding a triffle banal. like when he's really emoting and singing the line, "my mother was a chinese trapeze artist?" i don't know- maybe it's supposed to be tongue in cheek- but mostly it's just pretentious indie nerds like pitchfork that take pleasure in it.
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby tallchris on Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:42 pm

The success of this band is a complete mystery to me. When their first record came out critics were claiming it was the return of Jeff Magnum, but it turned out to history class They Might Be Giants folk rock.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby segerandpriest on Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:35 pm

it's very satisfying to hear you peeps say these things, as i've been totally surrounded by this band's many worshippers for too long. i don't think there has been a time in the history of "indie rock" where the bands most frequently identified as "indie pop" have been so vapid. the decembrists, the shins, the frames, etc., have a way of making even versus or, shit, teenage fanclub seem immediate/vital/whatever. compared to vintage guided by voices or pavement...well, enough....
segerandpriest
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby Angry_Dragon on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:31 pm

I give them a NOT CRAP. His voice is very annoying but the music is pleasant enough to warrant their existence.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby slowriot on Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:50 pm

Angry_Dragon wrote:I give them a NOT CRAP. His voice is very annoying but the music is pleasant enough to warrant their existence.

well, it's not really HIS voice, seeing as how he's biting of jeff mangum... but jeff did it way better and the music/lyrical depth was about as good as can be.
slowriot
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby tallchris on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:18 am

segerandpriest wrote: i don't think there has been a time in the history of "indie rock" where the bands most frequently identified as "indie pop" have been so vapid. the decembrists, the shins, the frames, etc., have a way of making even versus or, shit, teenage fanclub seem immediate/vital/whatever. compared to vintage guided by voices or pavement...well, enough....

I completely agree with you. I can't think of a time when I've felt more out of touch with "popular" "indie rock/pop" in the ten or so years I've been listening to the genre.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris

Postby shagboy on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:32 am

Angry_Dragon wrote:I give them a NOT CRAP. His voice is very annoying but the music is pleasant enough to warrant their existence.

i don't know if it's fair to keep a tally, but... the decembrists not crap the homosexuals crap? honestly.
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby mooliachi on Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:29 am

Noah wrote:they're a total shitfest. i listened to one of their albums once. they'd be kind of cool if they just took a lot of pictures of themselves, but they record also.
-noah

I think there should be modeling groups, that don't make music, just take pictures of themsleves, and at shows in between bands, they can do runway posing for those of us less fashionably inclined. I vote yes to pillow biters with frilly hats. That latino pirate look is long overdue for a comeback. honestly.

Wasn't there a Janitor Joe record with a fake black eyed member on it?
mooliachi
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby Angry_Dragon on Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:23 pm

slowriot wrote:when i first heard them i thought they wrote really effective pop songs, but the more i listen to their albums now i have this image of a guy huddled up writing lyrics that are trying too hard to be smart and ironic/funny. but they come off sounding a triffle banal. like when he's really emoting and singing the line, "my mother was a chinese trapeze artist?" i don't know- maybe it's supposed to be tongue in cheek- but mostly it's just pretentious indie nerds like pitchfork that take pleasure in it.

I think the tongue in cheek thing is more apt especially when talking about that line you quoted. Oddly enough, it's mainly pretentious indie nerds who don't like them that I run into. There are also a few who can't get past that voice which i can totally see.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby ing curtis on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:12 pm

ooh fucking fuck this band. the nmh comparisons warrant death. the opening track on the lp is so fucking pretentious with no substance, i actually will go out of my way to give this band an anti-plug. fuck em.

CRAP.
ing curtis
laney
laney

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:28 pm

well...i haven't HEARD them actually...but some things you can just tell...(oh yeah, and CRAP)...
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby tipcat on Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:13 am

I agree with the They Might Be Giants comparison. Colin Meloy sounds like John Linnell, and the choices of chord progressions are strikingly similar. That doesn't make it crap. Linnell is a gifted songwriter in the way that Adam Schleshiger from Fountains of Wayne and Ivy is gifted. Colin Meloy is in that tradition. NOT CRAP.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Champion Rabbit on Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:36 am

Meh.

Not crap.

:WF: 8

Pleasant, if not essential.
Going down the only road I've ever known.
Champion Rabbit
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Surfrider on Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:08 pm

Not heard them so no vote.

But what an absolutely terrible name for a band. Really awful. Tsk.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby bumble on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:14 am

http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=101152&highlight=decemberists#101152

I disliked them so much this weekend. So very, very much it was actually sort of a joy - I can't remember another time when I stared at happy people around me, knocked back another beer and wondered aloud (and, um, a little too loudly), "What the fuck?! These guys are fucking terrible! GAH!"

Whee.

Thanks for the good hatin', The Decemberists!

CRAP! (yay!)
bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby stevenstillborn on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:29 am

I heard "July July" and I thought, "well, here's a band to fill the NMH void," but then I bought that album, Castaways and Cutouts. Holy CRAP (wf: 2). Just too pretentious for its own good, and I like some pretentious stuff. Luckily, most of the people I know have no connection to indie rock and are still hung up on Dave Matthews, so I'm spared the Decemberists-worship. :roll:
stevenstillborn
pete maravich
pete maravich

Postby kerble on Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:32 am

My God.

CRAP.

No Waffles.

Like a less fey, sixth-rate Belle and Sebatian band replete with "Strings for the Sake of Strings," cloying arrangements, nary a memorable melody. Totally unexciting and not in the least bit captivating.

Dreck.

Faiz
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap