Postby shagboy on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:52 pm

CRAP!
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Re: band: slint

Postby geiginni on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:55 pm

shagboy wrote:CRAP!

Looks like shagboy is feeling quite masochistic!

Get out your wire brush and mitts.....looks like there'll be some fine flames for grillin' tonight!
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Re: band: slint

Postby capnreverb on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:03 pm

shagboy wrote:CRAP!

Thats the sound of a sacred cow being forcibly tipped over.
capnreverb
bum runner
bum runner

Postby Rotten Tanx on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:07 pm

In other news Leonardo Da Vinci was overrated, Dickens was a hack and Die Hard isn't the best film ever made.
Rotten Tanx
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:25 pm

You know what? I could see voting CRAP for Slint. This CRAP vote would be under one condition -- you had only heard "Spiderland" one time.

The first time that I heard this record, I thought that it was about as forced and embarrassing as a record could get. It sounded simultaneously timid and full of shit, which I thought to be quite a feat, but not in any good way.

And I HATED "Don, Aman". That song made me angry.

Then I listened to "Spiderland" again. And again. And again and again and again. Upon each listen, more layers of mystery and power revealed themselves to me. There was beauty, precision and terror like I'd never heard before on a record. The recording was brilliant as well.

And those lyrics...

"Spiderland" was so good and so alien that my brain didn't have a reference point for it. Unable to make ready sense of the record, my brain initially rejected it. I actually had to learn to think about rock in a new way.

And "Tweez" is no slouch.

Slint is a great band. That's about the most incontrovertible rock statment that I can make.

So, yes, shagboy, if you've only heard "Spiderland" one time, then your Slint CRAP vote is completely legitimate.

Otherwise, if you cannot find something of value in Slint, then consider whether or not you should bother listening to rock music at all.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Noah on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:41 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Otherwise, if you cannot find something of value in Slint, then consider whether or not you should bother listening to rock music at all.

Ugh

-Noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:51 pm

So which is it?

Noah wrote:Ugh
or
Before editing his post to write \"[u]gh\", Noah wrote:[Slint is] not that good. No one is that good.

Didn't really think that comment was "ugh"-worthy, frankly.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Noah on Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:05 pm

I thought "Ugh" was the best thing to say, after all. Why say someone shouldn't listen to rock because they don't like this band? Is any band good enough to warrant such a comment? Would you say the same thing for people who voted crap for Low? How about people who voted crap for the Beatles? What makes Slint so special that they define who gets to listen to rock music? Come on.

-Noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby Surfrider on Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:26 pm

Slint the band = Not Crap

People soiling themselves over slint in a fashion not too dissimilar to beatlemania (albeit with bearded, unwashed, middle aged men a stronger factor than female teenage hotties, AND alot less people) = Crap

Yes, a very good band. But i still think alot of nappies need changing at the moment.

Tuppence worth thrown in? Check.

Edit - just wanting to point out that i am in no way insinuating that Bradley has pooed himself. Or that he hasn't washed or changed his draws for a week. And i don't have the slightest idea of his age either. Sorry if there was any confusion there.

:wink:
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Brett Eugene Ralph on Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:45 pm

Slint = "Punk Floyd" but still NOT CRAP.
Brett Eugene Ralph
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby aaron on Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

it is easy for me to see why someone would not like this band. and low. and the beatles, for that matter (i don't like them!)

the same probably applies to most genuinely great rock bands.

i also think emile "the real deal" zola plays spiderland to dickens' tweez.
aaron
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby Jeremy on Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:41 pm

the same probably applies to most genuinely great rock bands.

except ACDC.
Jeremy
retail therapist
retail therapist

Postby aaron on Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:47 pm

you could also say "and the stooges, and the ramones, etc"

but it is also easy for me to see why people would not like those bands!

i hated ac/dc for most of my life, so wtf
aaron
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby Jeremy on Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:00 am

you could also say "and the stooges, and the ramones, etc"

no i can't. just ACDC.
Jeremy
retail therapist
retail therapist

Postby TheMilford on Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:48 am

Yeah,

AC/DC...

No self-respecting man doesn't like AD/DC.

suckers, I say.

I will go out on a limb and say that AC/DC is the best Rock & Roll band ever.

...Slint, also a very good band. Not Rock & Roll per se. but among the most influential outfits of the last 20 years.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Listening vs. Hearing

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:25 pm

Noah wrote:I thought "Ugh" was the best thing to say, after all. Why say someone shouldn't listen to rock because they don't like this band?

That wasn't my comment. I don't care whether someone likes Slint or not, and it's not important to my point. The point was that I expect people with a reasonable grasp of Rock to be able to recognize the merits of Slint, particularly "Spiderland", even if such recognition is limited to acknowledging its emotional or intellectual power, the fact that that record was incredibly recorded, or the absurd fact that this priceless record came from a band from Kentucky.

Or the fact that it just rocks.

Completely discounting Slint makes me question the Rockometer of anyone who would do so. By extension, if your Rockometer is that miscalibrated, why bother? Lock yourself in your room with your Unicorns records, log on to Pitchfork, and let's be done with it.

Slint offers so much at so many emotional or intellectual levels that I am baffled why this band would not coax a positive response from Rock fans, particularly the bright and engaging members of this forum.

Would I expect my sister to find something meaningful in Slint? No.

Would I expect the members of this forum to find something meaningful in Slint? Without question.

Noah wrote:Is any band good enough to warrant such a comment?

Again, I believe that you have oversimplified my point. You seem to be saying that I said, "If you don't like Slint, then you shouldn't listen to Rock". This is not true. What I said was if you cannot find something to take away from Slint after listening to them, even as a purely "I don't care for it but I can recognize its greatness" response, then I question why you bother.

I mean, I don't like all forms of architecture, but I can tell when a house is well-built.

Noah wrote:Would you say the same thing for people who voted crap for Low?

A great band. If someone couldn't find something worthy in Low, I'd have some questions about that person.

Noah wrote:How about people who voted crap for the Beatles?

Another great band, albeit with some sizeable holes. The Beatles created enough widely disseminated CRAP, and they're so ubiquitous, that I could see a reasonable person getting pissed off by them. Plus, neither "Sgt. Pepper's" nor The White Album can touch "Spiderland". "Revolver" (British edition)? Maybe.

In either case, if someone cast a wide CRAP net over these two radically dissimilar bands, I'd be inclined to give that person the skunk eye and wonder why they were playing.

Noah wrote:What makes Slint so special that they define who gets to listen to rock music?

Again, you have unnecessarily and unfairly oversimplified my point.

My point: if someone cannot recognize the merits of Slint, whether at an emotional or intellectual level, then I'm not sure what that person hopes to find in Rock. Again, if you see NOTHING in Slint, I'm not sure why you'd bother with Rock.

Because "Spiderland" is about as good as it gets.

I don't believe that I'm being unfair or rude about this. If anything, I'm trying to coax a reluctant listener into giving Slint, and particularly "Spiderland", another opportunity to impress him.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby l_o_c on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:40 pm

Unless this is a trick question, Slint aren't crap.
l_o_c
secretary of state
secretary of state

Re: Listening vs. Hearing

Postby motherfucker on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:52 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:...or the absurd fact that this priceless record came from a band from Kentucky.

Ever heard of Rodan, Squirrel Bait, Bastro, Crain, Evergreen, Rachels, Shipping News? Granted, not every member of every band is from here, but the point is that it's not so absurd. In fact, I would just about argue that it requires growing up somewhere like Louisville for a Slint to be born.
motherfucker
fan
fan

Postby geiginni on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:56 pm

Oh, BTW, NOT CRAP - bigtime.....

(...ringing endorsement from a guy who's about as cynical toward rock music as one could get...)
geiginni

Postby tmidgett on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:59 pm

A great band. If someone couldn't find something worthy in Low, I'd have some questions about that person.

mmmm, i sorta see what you're getting at, brad. i mean, i don't really like low's music, in that i don't listen to it. but i understand why people like it, and i admire the band for their dedication, their vision, and their fine execution.

the fact that it is not my cup of tea is relevant only to me

this is not always true. sometimes you are seeing the emperor with no clothes on, as opposed to just not being tuned into something. it's not always easy to figure out the location of the disconnect, and it's always a matter of understanding your prejudices and not overweighing them, while still being confident that you are in tune with the broad category of stuff you are critiquing.

slint, they are similar, in that i think they are a good, not-crap band that is wildly influential and quite important in the recent history of rock music.

i don't sit around and listen to slint records, and i didn't even think about going to see them play. but i think it is self-evident that they knew what they were doing and did it well. and that what they were doing was worth doing in the first place.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap