Band: The Killers

CRAP?
89%
NOT CRAP?
11%

Total votes : 152

Band: The Killers

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:30 pm

In a previous e-mail message to a member of this forum, Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Apparently I know one of the members of The Killers. That is what I am told. I do not know who that person might be, but I am enormously embarrassed for him and ashamed of his work. The Killers are a dreadful band that is part of this dreadful sub-genre of faux-new wave bands that currently pollutes our world.

When I first heard The Killers "hit" songs (i.e., "Smile Like You Mean It" and "Somebody Told Me"), I said to myself, "Fahgina Christo! Must Franz Ferdinand release a new single EVERY WEEK? I hate this rip-off Franz Ferdinand band, who rips off ideas that should not to have been ideas in first place!"

Then I find out is not Franz Ferdinand. Is The Killers!

But I "check out" this Killers record. For is maybe record of friend.

Is TERRIBLE record. Is called "Hot Fuss"! I cannot make up this joke. Is called "Hot Fuss"!

Why must I have to hate so many bands? I love to love bands, not to hate bands.

But hate I must!

Then I watch Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago -- and it's this band The Killers again in my life. They play this "Somebody Told Me" "hit" song. Was terrible enough in its recorded form, but seeing it performed live made me dislike the band intensely. The band seemed arrogant AND cowardly at the same time. And the song was bad bad bad. Just try to find something good in that chorus. UIghgHGghghgds.

Also, I am generally unconcerned about band fashion, but they looked stupid, too, in that stupid 1980's new wave throwback nonsense way. As obvious as a Von Dutch hat.

On another note, their bio contains the phrase "inspired by seeing Oasis play".

On a scale from 1 to 10, I gave them an honest 2. Who gets a 1? Hole? The Eagles? White Zombie? Sting?

So, yes, a 2 for you, The Killers. And Interpol. And Franz Ferdinand. Everyone of you bands.

I hate you all.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Re: Band: The Killers

Postby placeholder on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:36 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:So, yes, a 2 for you, The Killers. And Interpol. And Franz Ferdinand. Everyone of you bands.

I hate you all.

What you said there. The Killers are another soon-to-be-forgotten faux postpunk act, and they are loathsome. Plus, they did a horrible cover of a beautiful Morrissey song, as I mentioned before.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby run joe, run on Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:52 pm

The Killers are so bad, I feel like crying when they come on the TV. I'm not joking. Everything about them just makes my whole body slump. They make me want to give up. Their existence, and success (however short lived it may turn out to be), and sheer life-sapping shitness makes me feel so empty and sad that I can't even muster the energy to hate them.

When I hear their name, or see an advert for their shameless album on the television, or hear one of their insipid tunes, I hang my head.

There is nothing, nothing at all, of any human or artistic worth in this band. They aren't even a band. If someone would be kind enough to remind me, in a year or so, when - hopefully - this shameless, shameless band of tired fake young men have disappeared from public conciousness, that they once existed but are gone from the world, I will buy that person drinks all night. We'll drink to The Killers' demise.

This is a really horrible thing to say, but I don't think I'd care if every member of this band died. I'm sorry for saying this, but that's how I feel.

I feel the same way about Kasabian, as it happens.

I am not going to even dignify these people with a vote. The Killers make me depressed.
Back off man, I'm a scientist.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby hip priest on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:02 pm

A silly, silly band. Have you heard "Glamorous Indie Rock'n'Roll"? It is by far the most ridiculous song i've heard for many a moon. It's almost worth finding a copy of the album for. Again, ridiculous.

However, I also refuse to dignify them with a vote.
daniel robert chapman wrote:The biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased, biased cunts.
hip priest
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Lobster Magnet on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:05 pm

Another NME band.

Crap.
Lobster Magnet
les miserables
les miserables

Postby Noah on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:35 pm

I just heard them for the first time. I am giving them a hard-earned crap vote. They deserve it after all that hard work they put into being crap-py.

-Noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby marco on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:55 pm

CRAP in its purest form. I would almost have to say that this band is worse than Hitler. This whole new "genre" of Strokes, Hives, Vines, White Stripes, Killers, Franz Ferdinand needs to die NOW! I'm at this moment going to listen to Goat just to cleanse myself from typing all those names.
marco
bishop
bishop

Postby Angry_Dragon on Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:59 pm

marco wrote:CRAP in its purest form. I would almost have to say that this band is worse than Hitler. This whole new "genre" of Strokes, Hives, Vines, White Stripes, Killers, Franz Ferdinand needs to die NOW! I'm at this moment going to listen to Goat just to cleanse myself from typing all those names.

I don't remember any of these bands invading and/or bombing Europe not to mention killing millions of people. Therefore, they can't be worse than Hitler.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby run joe, run on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:03 pm

marco wrote:I would almost have to say that this band is worse than Hitler.

A Killers thread just got Hitlered. I didn't think I'd be writing that when I woke up this morning.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Re: Band: The Killers

Postby kerble on Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:16 pm

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
In a previous e-mail message to a member of this forum, Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Why must I have to hate so many bands? I love to love bands, not to hate bands.

But hate I must!

That sums up how I feel rather nicely.

I have not heard this "Killers" band from the Los Veginas, but I believe you in that they are of the bad.

please stop "Hitlering" the discussion, folks. They're not that evil.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Andrew L. on Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:44 am

I have noticed something about people who like a lot of good music but also like these Franz Ferdinands and Killers, etc, and it is that without exception these people have never written any good music themselves and/or are unlikely to be musicians at all.

I am not saying that you must be a musician in order to distinguish the good from the crap (so you may save your indignation for another another day), but a band like the Killers provides a very particular kind of litmus test. And in my experience, if someone genuinely recognizes that a band like the Killers is crap, he or she will also speak with intelligence, experience, and humor on any number of non-music related topics.

E.g. http://www.electricalaudio.com

Thank you Brad, thank you all, I am less alone in the world b/c of you.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:57 am

Angry_Dragon wrote:I don't remember any of these bands invading and/or bombing Europe not to mention killing millions of people.

Well, what are you learning in school these days?

Hey, does anyone watch The OC? They feature some crap band every week, and everyone in the show goes to see the crap band and talk during their set. It seems like it's always one of these Killers/Franz Ferdinand/Interpol type bands... Strokes Offspring. I'm sure the Killers were on one week. The only one I'm not sure about is Modest Mouse. I was on the fence with them, and then I finally decided they were Not Crap, and then they show up on The OC. So I'm back on the fence.
Linus Van Pelt
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby mattw on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:19 am

I heard that Killers song on the radio the other day and couldn't believe my bleedin' ears. Franz Ferdinand, they're a horrible band, but they have a song that is sorta-kinda-not really-but-barely-tolerable-in-a-faux-dance way, something about 'the matinee, dark of the matinee'. This song, she is sorta ok. But they also have a song saying 'come and dance with me Michael'. So gae! Auch! So much dancing, the Franz Ferdinand! Please dance your way to the offices of NME, strip for them!

The Killers, they are four polls worthy of crap.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby tmidgett on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:49 am

i'm sure you are right about the killers

but you guys don't think that 'take me out' song is any good? i think it's pretty good. for a pseudo-gang-of-four homosexual disco anthem, it's pretty good. isn't it?

i can't get a bead on interpol. their music occasionally pushes a particular postpunk button with me, but all in all it seems meaningless and not particularly forceful.
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby The Tyke on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:56 am

I think that "Take Me Out" song is great. I downloaded the rest of the album to check it out and I thought it was poo.
The Tyke
carlin
carlin

Postby run joe, run on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:07 am

tmidgett wrote:but you guys don't think that 'take me out' song is any good? i think it's pretty good. for a pseudo-gang-of-four homosexual disco anthem, it's pretty good. isn't it?

I like it. I don't find Frank Fernando to be in the same league of fraudulent shit as The Killers and Kasabian. I can listen to some FF songs, no problem. Their extra-curricular activities irritate me greatly (they always seem to be guest-editing some newspaper or doing lectures...WTF?), their ubiquity and apparent universal worship baffles me and makes me shake my head, and I become annoyed if I look at them (they look to me like they should have reasonably paid jobs as hairdressers). But some of the music I can listen to; I think 'Take Me Out' is a good song.

All of these bands are in the bottom leagues, for sure, but different leagues, still.

Interpol, The Killers - I think a 2/10 is generous. Frankie Fernando - I think 2/10 is slightly harsh. Slightly.
run joe, run
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby horsewhip on Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:46 pm

I had to listen to an entire Killers album while waiting for Call Me Lightning. to take the stage and play for five of my friends and like 30 jocks playing pool in the back of the venue in Bellingham.

The Killers are gae crap. Joel Myrene, who books the Factory and occasionally does sound, is a good guy but he seriously likes the gae-est crap ever. He owns TWO Strokes t-shirts! I think their crapness made it slightly better when Call Me Lightning started playing.

Franz Ferdinand set off my bullshit detector when they claimed to not be influenced by Gang Of Four. Excuse me? Fuck you! "No we hadn't even heard of them until we had already started gigging... I think Orange Juice and Josef K are our biggest influences."

Go to hell.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby gio on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:05 pm

i have never heard of this The Killers. I have heard of this Franz Ferdy, but have never heard the music. From what you all say, I feel glad that my finger is not upon the "pulse" of the indie rock sphincter, as it were.

I heard many things about the Interpol when the emerged a couple of years ago, with that album that was black and red. I got the album and I did not dislike it. I even went to see them, but it was too late. The crowds were too large, the conversations too silly, the hair too plastered and the black outfits too deliberately black.

Never again worth a deliberate listen. There is too much good music that I have not yet heard.
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby andteater on Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:16 pm

i am not at all ashamed to say that i really like the song "take me out" and as a matter of fact, i have the FF album and i enjoy it...

more so, i really like interpol. i REALLY enjoyed their first album and their newer one is pretty decent...

however...i kept hearing about these "killers" from suspicious people that i know and then i heard one of the songs...wow...they fucking blow...

i love tim midgett too.

andyk

tmidgett wrote:i'm sure you are right about the killers

but you guys don't think that 'take me out' song is any good? i think it's pretty good. for a pseudo-gang-of-four homosexual disco anthem, it's pretty good. isn't it?

i can't get a bead on interpol. their music occasionally pushes a particular postpunk button with me, but all in all it seems meaningless and not particularly forceful.
andteater
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Jeremy B on Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:03 pm

I heard that Killers song for the first time, when I was getting my haircut. It was preceded by some Lindsey Lohan song, which seemed oddly perfect. And why the fuck isn't Blur suing the Killers? That song is a blatant ripoff of Blur's "Boys and Girls."

but yeah the Killers fucking suck big time, they suck almost as bad as Mike Matheny.

-jeremy
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap