Total votes : 128

Band: Beck

Postby admin on Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:04 am

Beck
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dylan on Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:16 am

Why does no one see this charlatan for what he is? The guy rips off every thing he does and claims it as new. He has a few good tunes, but for the most part, it's a pastiche.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby stephensolo on Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:02 pm

beck sucks
stephensolo
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Re: Band: Beck

Postby Lobster Magnet on Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:10 pm

Not crap.
Last edited by Lobster Magnet on Wed May 23, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lobster Magnet
les miserables
les miserables

Postby cal on Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:51 pm

Beck = Dreck
cal
laney
laney

Beck?

Postby Mayfair on Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:08 am

See, I don't think his is honest music. It has always been self-referential, overly self-aware, sarcastic and ironic. I think this new 'stripped down' thing he is doing is a put-on. He seems like an actor playing a part. He makes me itch... in the bad way, I mean.
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby spoot on Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:59 am

Beck is a bummer because when I hear his music in a public setting I usually like what I hear - sometimes I'm even excited by it. But when I've brought it home with me (only Odelay so far, so not much depth here) I've listened to it once and had no interest at all in listening to it again. To me this means that the music has no more than a veneer of substance, and is crap.

I should bring home his new one though, maybe it'll stick.
spoot
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

beck

Postby n.c. on Tue May 04, 2004 4:45 pm

NOT CRAP.

Seriously, he is an amazing fingerstyle guitar player, and if you actually knew anything about him - he's constantly doing new weird shit. Did anyone see him on Austin City Limits?

Sea Change is also an amazing SOUNDING record. "Nobody's Fault But My Own" off Mutations (and please do not say anything about the title being almost exactly like the Led Zeppelin song) could cement his place in NOT CRAP forever.

I'll say it again NOT CRAP

-n
n.c.
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby fargokamikaze on Tue May 04, 2004 7:07 pm

I would think that it would be OBVIOUS that Beck borrows music from other people, it's not like he's trying to cover up the fact that he uses other people's tunes. and to whoever said that he claims otherwise should learn a little about Beck. If you ever read or see an interview with him, he is, without fail, asked the same question "how does it feel to be criticized for ripping off other music?" and he NEVER claims anything to be his own that is not.

Furthermore, what is so wrong with Beck using other people's music. How about the 50,000,000,000,000,000 hip-hop, 50-cent, thug wannabes who do nothing but use other people's music? And poorly, too. Fuck that shit. Beck is a genius. He does it infinitely better than anyone else that I've ever heard. How anyone could see otherwise is a mystery to me.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, we fucked up."
fargokamikaze
cardinal
cardinal

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue May 04, 2004 8:06 pm

fargokamikaze wrote:Beck is a genius. He does it infinitely better than anyone else that I've ever heard. How anyone could see otherwise is a mystery to me.

Then please allow me the honor of providing a neverending source of mystery to you.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby STF on Tue May 04, 2004 9:05 pm

NOT CRAP, with a qualification. I don't listen to Beck, but I approve of Beck for being something of a major-label auteur. He's on a major label and has managed to develop a career, which is increasingly rare these days. And I'm fairly sure he does more or less what he wants to do.

I have no problem with Beck; I like what I've heard, but I'm not interested in buying. I'd put himself in the same category as Bjork. I don't know his work well enough to give a definitive C/NC vote, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby maloney on Tue May 04, 2004 9:59 pm

Beck is a genius because of his lyrics. I agree that he is a pretty good guitar player, but his genius does not rest on that alone. He is able to capture an intricate mood or evoke a scene with a few well chosen words, often delicately balancing very discerning and serious reflection with a wry and absurd sense of humour.

Anyone who wants to get to know Beck should go out and buy ‘One Foot in the Grave,’ ‘Harvest Field by Moonlight,’ or, even better, ‘Stereopathetic Soul Manure.’ These early efforts are stripped bare of production but rich with diversity; every song is delivered with the epic grandeur of a bard’s lyricism. Speaking of bards, ‘One Foot in the Grave’ should remind music lovers of another legendary freewheelin’ minstrel: Bob Dylan. If I remember correctly, hasn’t Dylan also been dogged his entire career by accusations of plagiarism and uninventiveness?

This important influence on Beck’s musical style can be found throughout his albums, but it is very evident in his latest work, ‘Sea Change.’ This is not a put-on. This is a very honest and sincere simplicity. It may be the most intimate and depressing release since Gin Blossoms’ ‘New Miserable Experience.’ Beck’s personal sea change before recording – splitting up with Miss W. Ryder, for those who haven’t heard the poop – was the catalyst for him to return to a more personal form of musical expression.

To pick my favourite Beck album, I’d have to say ‘Mutations.’ The cd cover art is worth the purchase in itself. (Something which, by the way, reveals Beck’s longstanding interest in the visual arts.) But the album’s lyrics are the real prize. Portrayed in the liner notes atop a boundless mass of intestines, the printed lyrics depict their thematic content: the feeling of putrid rotting decay seeping out of every crack in our civilisation. Yes, I know the music is simple. One song is just a waltz. But even a waltz can be great music. There's a shoulder where Death comes to cry. There's a tree where the doves go to die. The night birds will cackle, rotting like apples on trees, sending their dead melodies... to me.

Sorry for dumping this massive post on everyone, but I signed up at this site just to be able to reply to your comments. I had to get that off my chest. Thanks for your patience.

Take it back to ’89!!!!
maloney

Postby JBR on Tue May 04, 2004 10:32 pm

kinda tricky. Sea Change is quite an amazing record. Sounds amazing, awesome songs. But that can't make up for "Sex Laws", one of the most irritating songs ever.

CRAP
JBR
duke
duke

Postby tmidgett on Tue May 04, 2004 10:47 pm

i like his voice sometimes

the song he did w/jon brion in _eternal sunshine of the spotless mind_ fit the movie pretty well

i guess he must be a talented entertainer

but i have heard a lot of his music, and, whilst i am engaged by it enough to type some on a message board, i am not engaged to the degree that i would even bother to click on a vote button, much to actually vote 'not crap'

i feel queerly unmoved by his music. i have no interest in his music.

It may be the most intimate and depressing release since Gin Blossoms’ ‘New Miserable Experience.’

ok! NOW i'm interested!!!
tmidgett
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Wed May 05, 2004 10:18 am

maloney wrote:It may be the most intimate and depressing release since Gin Blossoms’ ‘New Miserable Experience.’

Holy smokes! This quote made my day!

Wtf?
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby Dylan on Wed May 05, 2004 11:01 am

tmidgett wrote:the song he did w/jon brion in _eternal sunshine of the spotless mind_ fit the movie pretty well

"Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime" I think.
It's actually a cover, in case you or anyone didn't know, by The Korgis. I found a 7" of the original and it's actually better. Oh that b-side, though - yuck.

I still don't like Beck. Everything I hear anything by him, I am reminded of several artists who do it better.
Dylan

Postby Noah on Wed May 05, 2004 12:22 pm

beck sucks shit

-noah
your an idiot
Noah
"amarillo slim" preston
"amarillo slim" preston

Postby tmidgett on Wed May 05, 2004 2:45 pm

Everything I hear anything by him, I am reminded of several artists who do it better.

si, si
tmidgett

Postby Sticky on Wed May 05, 2004 11:30 pm

Self is great. In theory they're (he's) coming out with a new album soon. But Matt's too good for us losers in Murfreesboro these days. :-) Spending all his time around LA... :-( I remember thinking, "oh this is great, if I go to school in M'boro, I'll surely get to see a self show or two...." Nope.

Beck is ok. My girlfriend is a big fan, so I'm pretty exposed to his stuff... it's ok.
busher
busher

Postby Mr. Chimp on Fri May 07, 2004 5:27 pm

Beck?

Bleech.

Ok, only mostly.
I like Mutations. Not a fan of the poppy stuff.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap