Band: Pixies, The

Postby admin on Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:13 am

Pixies, The
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pixies

Postby Mayfair on Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:20 pm

The Pixies...so good. I once saw Black Francis play solo (while he was still in the Pixies before he was Frank Black...my guess it was '88, '89) and he did Pixie songs with just his singing and his guitar 'parts'. It was way out. You really got to see just how obtuse and bizarre and fragmented his playing was at that point. A very inspiring night.

Not crap.
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby stephensolo on Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:56 pm

all those who would vote crap here, i call on you - come forth and make your case! and i will proceed to run you through good sirs, one and all!
stephensolo
rodeo clown
rodeo clown

Postby Chris Hardings on Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:31 pm

I vote crap.
While on the one hand, they influenced a lot of bands and all that jazz.
On the other, they're drummer has tempo problems and is non-creative (or he just can't do anything else). Surfer Rosa really exposed their lack of dynamic, and creativity.
Chris Hardings
howard shore
howard shore

Postby spoot on Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:31 am

drummer has tempo problems and is non-creative

I never noticed tempo problems, but that may just be me. One of the things I found most creative about The Pixies was the drumming - not so much in his inventiveness, but in his interesting choices for what to steal. Which I suppose could just as well be called inventiveness.

Anyway, something that impressed me about this band was those funky drummer beats he'd play. I remember hearing their music, these grindy indie-rock guitars and freakish singing w/the drummer playing these cool little dance grooves, and I thought, "damn, that's new."

I used to like them alot. I don't like them so much anymore, but they were an exciting new thing and an inspiration back in the day, so not crap.
spoot
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

start of "Indie Rock" ?

Postby O H Lee on Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:59 pm

The Pixies got a long way with their association with 4AD. They never did anything for me. Black Francis annoyed me which probably had something to do with it. There was a good article in MOJO magazine about the Pixies a few years which makes him out to be quite the prima donna. His solo records have also told me my first impression was right.
O H Lee
junkballer
junkballer

Postby thepcs on Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:46 am

not crap.

although the first time i heard trompe le monde it gave me a very bad headache.
surfer rosa has one of my favorite recording sounds ever.

drummer has tempo problems...

what do you mean problems? what's wrong with tempo change? if a song feels right speeding up or slowing down, how is it a problem? that and i guess i've just never noticed it in their songs
thepcs
jock
jock

Postby Mr. Chimp on Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:54 am

Bossanova bites a dong. That being said, not crap.

Six words on the Pixies: JO. EY. SAN. TI. A. GO.

Frank Black's solo stuff just doesn't kick me the same way without him.

Except for the albums that do.
Have him, that is.
Joey, I mean.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Rubby Chuckers on Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:20 pm

Chris Hardings wrote:I vote crap.
they're drummer has tempo problems and is non-creative (or he just can't do anything else). Surfer Rosa really exposed their lack of dynamic, and creativity.

Stunned Rubby of Camberwell. "tempo problems ... non-creative ... lack of dynamic"??? These words to describe The Mighty Pixies? How wrong can one person be?

Do not know where to begin with comments like this, just have a feeling of exasperation. Lack of dynamic my ass.

Am going to take a cold shower and calm down now.
Rubby Chuckers
alderman
alderman

Location: Camberwell, home of 'The Camberwell Carrot', London

Postby Schaal on Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:15 pm

I love "Bossanova" but can't really love "Trompe Le Monde".

Regardless, not crap.
Schaal
linus pauling
linus pauling

The Pixies - crap or nay?

Postby Rubby Chuckers on Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:02 pm

Schaal wrote:I ... can't really love "Trompe Le Monde".

Well, I'll give it a lovin' home.

'Trompe Le Monde' fuckin' storms. Aside from 'Surfer Rosa', it's the Pixies really burning full-tilt. Gives me the shivers.
Rubby Chuckers
alderman
alderman

Postby Bernardo on Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:50 pm

Very much not crap, though I don't care for Trompe le Monde. Solo Frank Black does nothing for me, also.

I'd kill to hear the whole story behind the making of Surfer Rosa, not sure if anything spectacular happened, but it just seems that there's something there that'd be interesting to know.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Rubby Chuckers on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:11 am

Bernardo wrote:I don't care for Trompe le Monde.

I'd kill to hear the whole story behind the making of Surfer Rosa, not sure if anything spectacular happened, but it just seems that there's something there that'd be interesting to know.

Bernado, you should care! 'Trompe Le Monde' is misunderstood genius!

Alright, I'll quieten down now.

I do agree about the 'Surfer Rosa' story. Would love to hear the anecdote behind the "You fuckin' die!" altercation.
Rubby Chuckers
alderman
alderman

Postby MTAR on Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:24 pm

Rubby Chuckers wrote:
Bernardo wrote:I don't care for Trompe le Monde.

Bernado, you should care! 'Trompe Le Monde' is misunderstood genius!

Alright, I'll quieten down now.

I do agree about the 'Surfer Rosa' story. Would love to hear the anecdote behind the "You fuckin' die!" altercation.

The "you fuckin' die" altercation is pretty self-explanatory on the record... just an example of miscommunication via microphones and talkback switches. I don't think it's anything too deep.
MTAR
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Re: Band: Pixies, The

Postby black_bryson on Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:38 pm

Uriah hit the crapper! The crapper!

If the Pixies are crap, then the gates of Heaven are brown and smelly. Blasphemy. Really. Those of you who don’t melt during Hey when Joey’s guitar is crying and Kim and Black Francis are doowopping ‘chained’ should be ashamed of yourselves. You are not to be trusted.

Granted, they’re no Yngwie ‘F’n’ Malmsteen, but come on. I think very few of us would be here if it weren't for Surfer Rosa. Even those of you who don’t like the Pixies have benefited from that record’s success.

Bryson
black_bryson

Re: Band: Pixies, The

Postby SchnappM on Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:53 pm

black_bryson wrote:I think very few of us would be here if it weren't for Surfer Rosa. Even those of you who don’t like the Pixies have benefited from that record’s success.

That's pretty much exactly how I feel about Sonic Youth. I can't stand listening to them but a lot of my favorite bands can.

I like the Pixies, although, not a lot more than some other bands.
SchnappM
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:01 pm

My personal experiences with the Pixies and their fans reveal a pretty interesting generational/cultural split.

When 'Surfer Rosa' came out I was active in the West Coast indie/postpunk/underground whatsis. To me and my pals, the Pixies were bullshit. Context had a lot to do with it. This was the heyday of AmRep, T+G, etc. Very good, loud, angry bands with crazy, pissed off vocalists were all around us. It seemed to us that the Pixies were trying to do a watered down, commercial, phony version of this sound. Charlie Pixie's yelping brought to mind the rage of a grad student being denied a time extension to finish his thesis. "Weak", "fake anger" "posers"... these things=Pixies. Various influential publications, in particular "Forced Exposure," supported this view as well (FE was based in the Boston area and were no doubt sick of the local hype). They had their rabid fans for sure, but we viewed them as similar to those who shit themselves over the Strokes today.

Then, over the past few yrs, I started observing a strange phenomenon. Almost every time I would meet people in their early to mid 20s who were fans of obscure rock music, these people would be absolutely Pixies-obsessed. I started to see this Pixies obsession a lot. Amongst many indie music fans in the generation or two after mine, the Pixies are more than a great band; they are some kind of godlike, omniscently influential musical axis on which vast amounts of subsequent music spins ("a lot of us wouldn't be here today if not for 'Surfer Rosa'"). What happened here? How did this band become such a touchstone for so many people too young to have even seen them play, or bought their records when they were new?

My only theory is that when these whippersnappers heard the band, without the existence of the context I talked about earlier, they heard a pop band. They heard what the Pixies really were, all along. And it was good. And it was easy to hear the influence in their other favorites (Modest Mouse, etc.).

I'm all for this. Hearing music stripped of its cultural context allows you to really 'hear' it. A lot of us can now, for example, really hear AC/DC, Zep, ZZ Top, now that it's no longer automatically associated with the hischool jock assholes we wanted to kill. I continue to hate the Pixies, but I approve of what has happened with them (not the inaccurate hyperbole re: their influence, but the fact that lots of younger people have discovered and love them).

Oh yeah- CRAP.
Angus Jung
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby mattw on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:22 pm

Last edited by mattw on Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattw
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby MTAR on Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:25 pm

Jung,
thanks, I enjoyed that post. I guess Im one of those mid-20s dudes that discovered them after their prime-time. I don't think I've ever thought of them as being insanely influencial... just good and different. I can't think of any other bands that sound remotely like them from that time period, and that's why I got into them. Then again, my knowledge of obscure music from that era is below par.

mtar
MTAR

Postby cneutron on Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:28 pm

Jung and I have sparred about this before in other forums, and while I certainly do not think they are the be all, end all of music others try to paint them as, I think they are damn fine pop music.

I got into the whole underground thing pretty late in life, they were on the way out when I discovered the world of music, so I never had the politics to go along with it.

I imagine, using that same analogy, the Strokes could be similarly revered, but i'm sure not, at that level.

God, i'd hope not.

-C.
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap