Total votes : 170

Band: ZZ Top

Postby admin on Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:21 am

ZZ Top
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby max on Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:21 am

Not crap!! Their first couple of records are fantastic - soundwise and songwise.
max
professor longhair
professor longhair

Postby Miko on Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:47 pm

so were Metallica's.
Miko
cardinal
cardinal

zz top

Postby the matt clark on Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:37 am

oh, fuck, i can't believe this is even being discussed. oh, wait, yes i can. so they made some (debatably) shitty stuff later, who cares. their first few records are so incredible. billy gibbons was and is such a motherfucker, and no chorus pedal or drum machine can change that. frank beard, when he wasn't too fucked to play the drums (see: the eighties), was just as good. listen to the insane tight stuff he does before the drum machine records.

they are the least crappy of the bands listed so far. for the gatefold on tres hombres alone. i met my fiancee talking about zz top, no shit. a kid in the neighborhood (the kid with the trampoline, whom i hope everyone knew some equivalent of as a youth) and i used to name trampoline moves after their 80's records (the afterburner, the eliminator, etc...). i take this too personally. but anyone 'dissing' zz top breaks my heart.

so not crap.
the matt clark
envoy
envoy

zztop

Postby Mayfair on Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:19 am

I agree. Almost everything before "Eliminator" was right on, especially "Tres Hombres" and their first record. I think it was s/t.

Little known fact: The reason why Billy and Dusty have beards and wear sunglasses almost completely obscuring their faces is because they are replaced ever 5 or 6 years with new actors playing their parts, like they did with Benji. It's true! Play 'La Grange' backwards and you can hear right at the end, "I buried Dusty and Billy....". I think Frank was the Walrus. Not positive, but pretty sure.
Mayfair
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Dylan on Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:34 am

I like the early records, too, but I also didn't really mind the sampler era. Sorry.
Dylan
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

huh? what sampers?

Postby the matt clark on Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:04 pm

hey dylan (what's up broseph),

you know what? agreed on the 'sampler era.' it occured to me (funnily enough, while listening to every zz top record i own this weekend), that i don't own anything past 'deguello,' and me saying '....so they did some shitty stuff later, who cares....' is kind of unfounded, because my only opinion on any later stuff is based on mtv 15 years ago or whatever. so chap my hide and fuck me up with carmex if i don't get every goddamn zz top record by the end of the year. kind of strange to like a band so much and not own anything they've done in the last 24 years (2/3 of their career).

and i might add that '(somebody else been) shaking your tree,' the first song on 'zz top's first album' (their, uh, well...... their first album) might be the best statement of purpose any band has put forth on record. i don't think they've wavered from the formula in 30+ years. bless their texas hearts.

good god, how do i love zz top so much,
matt clark
the matt clark
envoy
envoy

Postby Thread Witch on Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:34 am

RISE!
Thread, arise!
Walk amongst the living, zombie thread!
Live!
Thread Witch
troll
troll

Postby scelops on Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:07 am

Rio Grande Mud, Deguello etc.: Good ,

However I have to say that I did hear the new Mescellaro album and it could be one of the worst things i've ever heard.

Who else has heard this "remasters" whre beard supposedly re-recorded the drums? This sounds horrible.

-Wilson
scelops
casio
casio

Postby Mayfair on Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:06 pm

scelops wrote:Rio Grande Mud, Deguello etc.: Good ,

However I have to say that I did hear the new Mescellaro album and it could be one of the worst things i've ever heard.

Who else has heard this "remasters" whre beard supposedly re-recorded the drums? This sounds horrible.

-Wilson

I heard the whole deal with the remasters was that everything was put on a grid and 'drums' were 'applied', if you know what I mean. I thought it was a dance floor thing. Simply terrible.
Mayfair

Postby Mr. Chimp on Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:51 pm

Wanna know where 5ive Style nicked their licks from?

Tejas.

Not Crap. The non-bearded drummer named Beard is a true testement to excellence in humor's longevity - when the joke is good.
Mr. Chimp
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Mayfair on Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:58 pm

Mr. Chimp wrote:Wanna know where 5ive Style nicked their licks from?

Tejas.

I think 5ive Style's licks were 'borrowed' from The Meters (especially regarding Zigaboo Modeliste's drumming) more than from ZZ Top, but I will go back and listen again. It's been a while.
Mayfair

Postby Mr. Chimp on Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:02 pm

Mayfair wrote:

Tejas.

I think 5ive Style's licks were 'borrowed' from The Meters (especially regarding Zigaboo Modeliste's drumming) more than from ZZ Top, but I will go back and listen again. It's been a while.

Okay, some licks.
Mr. Chimp

Postby Andrew L. on Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:52 pm

I thought ZZ Top were a(n industry) manufactored band until recently. I didn't know they once made good music. Sorry, I'm young and all I had to go on were whatever singles found their way onto (M)TV/MuchMusic during the nineties: TOTAL CRAP.

A friend of mine--HUGE FAN--has a beer-out-the-nostril-funny story about 'meeting' Billy Gibbons backstage in Edmonton sometime in the nineties. They played to about 2500 people in the Coliseum (capacity 13 000 +). Anyway, my friend brought some vinyl to be signed and Billy was a triple Grade A asshole about it.

ZZ TOP can pay their bikini clad dancing girls to fuck them up the asses with their fuzzy Jackson guitars til the cows in Texas shit blood, and I suppose their old records will still be good but this is 2004 and they've been utter CRAP for a long, long shitty time.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Bradley R. Weissenberger on Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:36 am

It's a toss up between 5ive Style and the Blue Meanies as to the bigger band pricks whom I have ever met.

In these bands' defense, people have told me that the 5S/BM band members are nice folks. Maybe they just had bad days. Maybe I unwelcomely trod upon their ground. But, man, let me tell you, they were some Grade A USDA Prime jerks those nights at Gabe's/Gunnerz oh so long ago.

On the other hand, ladies and gentlemen like Hum (including tour manager Chris Green), Silkworm, Pansy Division, The Regrets, Self, Run On, Wolf Eyes, The Watchers and Call Me Lightning make it all worthwhile. Actually, you know who sticks out in my mind as being a super special sweetheart to me? That Balty de Ley (sp?) from Menthol.

Of course, these people might be jerks who just happened to make a good impression in a limited amount of time.

And this is to say nothing of these bands' rock music.

This could be a good thread: Worst/nicest people with whom you have played shows.
Bradley R. Weissenberger
King Of All The Taverns

Postby cal on Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:39 am

I heard something about hired guns playing "ghost" guitar on some early records 'cause Gibbons playing wasn't up to snuff at the time. Hope it's not true though.
cal
laney
laney

Postby STF on Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:02 am

Funny story. I walked into a Rite Aid in Portland, Maine, east end, to buy beer around 11:30 or so on a weeknight--fluorescent lights, market prices, etc. The dumpy older gal at the counter sez, Guess What. Billy Gibbons was just here! She hands me a Polaroid of Billy Gibbons standing right where I'm standing, same background of potato chips, discounted DVDs and cheap soda. (She probably asked for ID--store policy--, though Billy Gibbons looks like he's in his seventies.) He'd bought a 12-pack of Miller High Life, or something. I thought I'd seen a white stretch limo outside as I was crossing the parking lot...

Anyway, it was weird to see a celebrity standing in the same where I was standing two minutes later. Same day, same place, same light.

ZZTop were a great band. Tejas is a fantastic album. Not Crap.
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby connor on Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:30 am

I never noticed until recently the pseudo-manifesto text on the back of ZZ Top's First Album:

"In this day of homogenized rock, synthesized music, retakes, overdubbing, multi-tracking, an honest recording by accomplished musicians is a rewarding pleasure.

ZZ TOP'S FIRST ALBUM is just such a recording. This is the way blues-rock is meant to be played: openly, honestly, and spontaneously. It takes an experienced sensitive group such as ZZ TOP to capture the abstract blues from within and combine it with the ability to feel and play good hard rock without losing their communication.
..................................................................................abstract blues."

Even without ignoring the irony contained in this statement, I toss them a whole-hearted NOT CRAP.
connor
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby rbs on Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:57 pm

Yes, the ZZ has sucked for a long time. So has almost every other dinasour rock act out there. Do the Stones suck because they've sucked since "Tattoo You"? I think that bands that stick to their guns but decline due to age are forgivable, even if they try to "update" their sound (ZZ and the drum machine, the Stones play disco, etc). A band like Metallica, on the other hand, is unforgivable. I guess everyone is entitled to evolve, but to completely deny one's roots and history (I think of Lars saying to the press a couple of years back that Metallica is not and never was a metal band) is criminal. ZZ Top is doing what they've always done, they're just doing it a lot worse.
rbs
scout
scout

Postby simmo on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:04 am

NOT. CRAP. EVER.

even sharp dressed man!
simmo

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap