Glad to see it's finally getting a proper UK release onto DVD -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... ROKL5A1OLE
Blue.
ImDADA
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Re: Movie: Hausu

Postby Red Square on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:17 am

i finally watched it this early morning...it's fucking fantastically weird and goofy!

two boobs up!
Aztec Black Box

jimmy two hands wrote:Sexy existential dread
Red Square
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby seanurban on Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:35 am

this probably could go in a couple threads, sorry if it has
cracked's most baffling horror movies
seanurban
King High

Postby cak on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:27 am

I just put this in my netflix queue after reading the first few sentences of the first post.
cak
philip guston
philip guston

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 am

Not Crap.
Bill Skibbee had a no-subtitle copy of this at the Key Club first time we recorded there.
Our old guitarist John decided he wanted a copy after watching this. He googled "Japanese Schoolgirls House" and this movie was the second link that came up. Everything else was beyond fucked up.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Hmph. Had very high hopes prior to watching. Was a little underwhelmed. Visually interesting, filmed by people who were clearly out of their minds, and funny as hell. But also quite sappy (in a way that's peculiar to Japanese teen cinema), sorta sloppy, and pretty draggy in spots.

I'm not sure if it's crap or not (I need to see it again or think a little harder), but personally, I don't think it has a patch on Mantago (aka Attack of the Mushroom People) in terms of sheer wackiness and accidental poignancy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matango
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby ImDADA on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Sappy, Sloppy and Draggy would be a fine tagline.
Blue.
ImDADA

Postby RSMurphy on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:06 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:I'm not sure if it's crap or not (I need to see it again or think a little harder), but personally, I don't think it has a patch on Mantago (aka Attack of the Mushroom People) in terms of sheer wackiness and accidental poignancy:

Dude! If you want to discuss Mantago why not just discuss it instead of debasing Hausu with ridiculous assessments. "Accidental poignancy?" I have no idea what this means in terms of describing Hausu. There is no poignancy to it, and I don't see how it can be any more "wacky." A dude turns into a pile of bananas for no reason at all; a flying detatched head bites the ass of its victim; a fucking piano eats someone in what is most certainly the weirdest and most stylized on-screen death in the history of ever. Come on!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:16 pm

It's based on a true story. I met people who knew the people that lived in that house.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby placeholder on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:01 pm

RSMurphy wrote:
OrthodoxEaster wrote:I'm not sure if it's crap or not (I need to see it again or think a little harder), but personally, I don't think it has a patch on Mantago (aka Attack of the Mushroom People) in terms of sheer wackiness and accidental poignancy:

Dude! If you want to discuss Mantago why not just discuss it instead of debasing Hausu with ridiculous assessments. "Accidental poignancy?" I have no idea what this means in terms of describing Hausu. There is no poignancy to it, and I don't see how it can be any more "wacky." A dude turns into a pile of bananas for no reason at all; a flying detatched head bites the ass of its victim; a fucking piano eats someone in what is most certainly the weirdest and most stylized on-screen death in the history of ever. Come on!

Not interested in having a nerd-off about what is and isn't "weird" or whatever, but Matango isn't a patch on House. It's relatively tame in terms of Japanese genre stuff, in fact.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby RSMurphy on Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:19 pm

placeholder wrote:Not interested in having a nerd-off about what is and isn't "weird" or whatever...

Nerd? Moi? Well, I never!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 pm

RSMurphy wrote:Dude! If you want to discuss Mantago why not just discuss it instead of debasing Hausu with ridiculous assessments. "Accidental poignancy?" I have no idea what this means in terms of describing Hausu. There is no poignancy to it, and I don't see how it can be any more "wacky." A dude turns into a pile of bananas for no reason at all; a flying detatched head bites the ass of its victim; a fucking piano eats someone in what is most certainly the weirdest and most stylized on-screen death in the history of ever. Come on!

Well, there you go: Personally, I like some accidental poignancy in my wacky Japanese genre films. House is pretty much just... stylized w/little else to recommend it. Kinda empty unless you're 14 or stoned. Which isn't saying it's useless. It's just kinda two-dimensional. For all the foamy-mouthed ravings I'd heard about it for years, I expected... much more.

Have also had friends of friends (former film students) attempting to explain to me what all this shit in House actually "means." Personally, I don't think it means anything besides the obvious.

As for bringing up Mantago, why not? If you dislike some band in a music thread, why not bring up a comparable band who's done something better?

placeholder wrote:
Not interested in having a nerd-off about what is and isn't "weird" or whatever, but Matango isn't a patch on House. It's relatively tame in terms of Japanese genre stuff, in fact.

Me neither. And Mantago isn't remotely as weird as House. I agree that it's "tame" in that respect; but that wasn't my point. I just think it's a much better movie that doesn't simply wallow in weirdness for weirdness' sake. Though it is pretty weird.

House reminds me a lot of the first and only time I ever saw a Gwar gig, circa 1989. Ok, I went, I understand why people might see this band, it's kinda funny, even artistic in some very simple way, but there's just not much to it. And the music kinda blows.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 pm

Just kinda-sorta teasing you, OE, although, I still don't understand how Hausu should have any sort of poignancy attached to it, accidental or not. The movie makes no sense and (I think) should just be viewed as a fucked-up, psychedelic, psychosexual, exercise in absurdist comedic-horror filmmaking.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:06 pm

You know when the chick got ate by the piano?

Really happened!!!

I met the dude who used to go out with the chick that happened to!!!
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby placeholder on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Got the Criterion DVD when it was released and am glad to finally have a legit vers. It's miles above my years-old, crummy-quality, subtitle-free VHS dub. I was missing out on a lot by not understanding the dialogue! The featurette about the production is great and informative. I can't believe I've never seen any of Obayashi's other work, given how much I love this movie.

My very favorite part is when Blanche is sliding all over the piano while that "Pomp and Circumstance"-with-sampled-meowing tune plays. This cracks me up every time I see it.

Our old cat Boris looked a lot like Blanche, but he never got the glowing eyes or did anything too evil. He did projectile vomit on our living room wall once, though.
placeholder

Postby noise&light on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

No way.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby placeholder on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:43 pm

noise&light wrote:Image

No way.

OH DEAR LORD.
placeholder

Postby cak on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 pm

playing on Turner Classic Movies, June 16th 2:30am EST
cak
philip guston
philip guston

Postby Bernardo on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:08 pm

I just re-watched this movie twice in as many days, I think I could see it at least once a week and not get bored. So NC.
Bernardo

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap