Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

crap/not crap

crap
50%
Not Crap
50%

Total votes : 165

Postby robert thefamilyghost on Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:53 pm

i know many, many hate 'em...but i do like their first album...i think "Dramamine" is a really good song...but aside from that i don't care for 'em too much...i haven't listened to all their albums, i've sold a few i have but i still have This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About...and the singles comp Building Nothing out of Something...their new big hit single i thought was complete crap...and i've heard a few songs here and there from more recent albums that i did not care for at all...
robert thefamilyghost
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Peripatetic on Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:52 pm

It makes me sad that I kind of liked this band until their last record, which should have been titled, "Good News for People Who Love Horrible Records". That piece of shit nullified anything they put out previously.

sw
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

MM

Postby Domagoj on Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:04 am

I thought of MM today, probably seeing their name listed with the most hated bands recently, which is fine with me. Isaac Brock's NW bunch provided good entertainment at some point and I have high opinion of MM recorded material between 1996 – 1998.

"This is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about"
"Lonesome crowded west" (stellar!)
early singles/EPs

…

I was very surprised to hear that MM had heavy rotating hit on MTV.
They have never been so popular in Europe, as far as I am informed.

Float on MM, at least in my good memories!
Domagoj
gorilla
gorilla

Postby sunlore on Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:56 am

modest crap.
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Andrew L. on Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:02 pm

If I were to vote today, it'd be a definite CRAP b/c every time I hear one of the singles off their last album somewhere I want stick a pencil through my eardrums. That said, Lonesome Crowded West is still a great album. Yup, I said great.
Last edited by Andrew L. on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew L.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Sverige on Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:37 pm

There was a time when i heard this band and thought "oh yeah these guys are pretty alright"
then i was moderately appreciative towards their music

now i have the biggest grudge against a band i've had since the postal service.
screw modest mouse
screw the terrible one lick songs(thats not to say that one lick repeated cant be great in a song, look at prayer to god or tv eye)
i hate the singing
i saw them on austin city limits opening for GBV and hated them even more

I hope they burn in indie-stream hell
soul_rancher wrote:"As she go up, she go down," like-a signor Pollardo and his Guided Della Voce sing
Sverige
ambulance chaser
ambulance chaser

Postby Terrainasaur on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:11 pm

I was watching Austin City Limits for a GbV appearance, and forced I myself to sit through the Modest Mouse portion of the show. The pompous ass singer sits down behind a keyboard, where there just happened to be a pack of smokes. He then procedes to, ever so casually, light up a smoke and play a simple and awful riff on the keyboard. He was playing that riff hunt and peck style, while attempting to look cool smoking. This is only a very small portion of why I dislike them. I mean, how can smoking still pass as being cool? It boggles the mind! It defies logic!
amybugbee wrote:We put out this movie 'CLUB SATAN: The Witches Sabbath'
Terrainasaur
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby shagboy on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:23 pm

Terrainasaur wrote:I was watching Austin City Limits for a GbV appearance, and forced I myself to sit through the Modest Mouse portion of the show. The pompous ass singer sits down behind a keyboard, where there just happened to be a pack of smokes. He then procedes to, ever so casually, light up a smoke and play a simple and awful riff on the keyboard. He was playing that riff hunt and peck style, while attempting to look cool smoking. This is only a very small portion of why I dislike them. I mean, how can smoking still pass as being cool? It boggles the mind! It defies logic!

ok, i don't like modest mouse either but i think you've been blinded by hatred. i'm guessing the guy is addicted to cigarettes and timed the keyboard bit for when he needs a smoke. cmon!
shagboy
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Superking on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:56 pm

OK. Not crap. I'm in the camp that thinks Long Drive and Lonesome Crowded West are very good/great records. I did not happen to like Moon and Antarctica at all, and the latest sounded bad to me until I was trapped in Hurricane Jeanne with some friends who had it in heavy rotation. It's not all bad.

I saw them live a handful of times between 97-99, and it was mostly disappointing (except for that Shuba's show that Kerble mentioned). However, not nearly as disappointing as what I've seen lately, on the TeeVee.

Not crap. Moderate waffle.
Angus Jung wrote:Anyway, yeah, women, metal/heavy shit, 2012, everywhere.

The Hero of Love!
Superking
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Terrainasaur on Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:11 pm

shagboy wrote:ok, i don't like modest mouse either but i think you've been blinded by hatred. i'm guessing the guy is addicted to cigarettes and timed the keyboard bit for when he needs a smoke. cmon!

This could be true, but watching it, the manner in which he did it really gave the impression that he was going for cool. Maybe he just smokes stylishly?
amybugbee wrote:We put out this movie 'CLUB SATAN: The Witches Sabbath'
Terrainasaur
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby full point on Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:09 am

I gotta chime in here for Eric Judy (bass): NOT CRAP!

Think of the shit that he puts up with and STILL lays it down. That drummer shops at Prada....sheesh.

Isaac Brock's lyrics: Not Crap
Isaac Brock's guitar playing: Not Crap
Hunt and Peck piano playing: CRRRRAP!
Getting really drunk at an already (admittedly) boring live show: CRRRAP!

I'm gonna say Not Crap but with a significant WF.
full point
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby warmowski on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:27 pm

not crap: some okay thongs. i like the lonesome crowded west record best.

weird guy though, that thinger.

brush with (s)tardom alert:

once, i played texas hold them poker with this group's thinger at the table. much liquor was consumed all around. at some point, he uttered, unbidden, to nobody in particular,

"dude, i jutht want to go out with a girl who giveth blowjobth"

addendum: a day or so later, a different guy who was at the same game asked me who that guy was. i told him. his scornful reponse: "seattle. the bassinet of america."

waffle factor 5. or thicth.

-r
warmowski
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby glynnisjohns on Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:46 pm

Someone at work today played a bootleg of a recent live show from these guys. It was terrible, just the most utter crap of crap. The performance almost convinced me of what an idiot i have been for liking these guys.
I actually saw them on their first nation wide tour (opening for Built to Spill). they were just fine. What the hell happened? i guess it might have been an off night.
Their albums are decent and at least a couple tracks on each one makes me smile. So not total crap.

On second thought, Fuck 'em!
glynnisjohns

Postby djimbe on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:20 am

Just last night, while cleaning up/rearranging the studio office, I came across a pile of photos shot during the Moon and Antarctica session. This was the first session done at our place and it looked like hell. Unfinished walls, no gear to speak of, and a buncha bored lookin' kids standing around empties. I vote "meh" for the band, and "crap" for the condition of the studio. Can't believe anyone would want to work in a place that looked that shabby...
djimbe
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby yut on Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:06 pm

Mediocre warm/fuzzy indie rock that became 80's just in time! Oh boy!

Oh....

....CRAP!

Nice suits (or jackets), but you have to be the thin GQ type to pull that off...

Monitor records put out some OK stuff... That Membranophonics thing was good, because of Damon's thing. Who'da thunk he's a better guitarist than Ian?
yut
happy meal
happy meal

Postby Mazec on Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:59 am

A little question for those more knowledgeable on Modest Mouse than I am:

Is The Moon and Antarctica one of their worst albums or what? It's the only album of theirs I've listened to all the way through, some guy lent it to me, and I can't figure out how they could attain such a serious position among quasi-sold out indie rock acts based on that album.

I mean, the first three songs were out and out terrible, especially the singing.
A couple songs managed to pull out some decent music, but were killed by terrible lyrics and annoying singing. Jangley guitars, sing-songy vocals with retarded accent, apparently intentionally tacky lyrics, and a couple rare moments in which they rocked out a little. They managed to throw together all the sickly sweet aspects of college rock into one incredibly balls-lacking package.

Basically, are these guys for 15 year old girls who would like to listen to Weezer, but want to be hipper and more "underground" than that, so they get into Modest Mouse or what?
Mazec

Postby Sverige on Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:15 am

Basically, are these guys for 15 year old girls who would like to listen to Weezer, but want to be hipper and more "underground" than that, so they get into Modest Mouse or what?

YES
you speak the truth perfectly my friend
soul_rancher wrote:"As she go up, she go down," like-a signor Pollardo and his Guided Della Voce sing
Sverige
ambulance chaser
ambulance chaser

Postby Heliotropic on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:35 am

I really enjoyed what I'd heard off of Lonesome Crowded West in middle school and, after a few years of listening to them on and off, I ended up picking it up on a whim. I really enjoyed it and it quickly became one of my favorite records. I subsequently bought Long Drive a few weeks after Lonesome and enjoyed that record as well. A few months later I heard they were putting out a new record but, after months of seeing them go from an unknown band to this Mtv friendly band in a matter of a few months and a lot of press coverage, I lost interest in them. I still really enjoy their older stuff, but their new record is terrible, and I honestly do not see what everyone else sees in that record. I don't dislike their new record because it is melodic, I realize a band shouldn't put out the same album every few years, I dislike it because it just seems really uninspired and coerced.

Old Modest Mouse : Not Crap
New Modest Mouse : Crap

I feel, though, that if I had not gotten into them before Good News I probably would have never looked into their older stuff, or,if I did, it would be with extreme prejudice.
Heliotropic
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:16 am

didnt that guy from modest mouse get accused of raping some girl?
Uncle Ovipositor wrote:In Tokyo, the Japanese can pee in the streets...
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby Ally In Exile on Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:11 am

this "modest" mouse fella exudes such shitty vibes (both in his music and in interviews) that i find it intolerable to hear him sing or speak for more than a few seconds. his personality is about as likable as that of phil anselmo or courtney love --- and his music is no less dreadful.

quite simply, mr. lisp comes off like a super-bitchy ex-coke head who's in love with all his problems and all too eager to tell you about 'em at great length. bitterness is a terrible thing to have in spades when your music is monochromatic horeshit. add to the equation his awful singing voice and you have yourself quite an unpleasant concotion.

i like loads of patently white music, but modest mouse's boorish strand of northwest indie rock makes my skin crawl. it's enough to kill any desire i might have had to move to washington.

i can't even fathom how bad his recent, more "commercial" work must be.

CRAP. no waffles.
Ally In Exile
linus pauling
linus pauling

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap