28%
KORD
57%
KLAX
15%

Total votes : 81

Major US Cities: New York City vs Chicago vs Los Angeles

Postby matthew on Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:51 am

Of all three which one do you love the most? I grew up in Chicagoland, and have been to New York a million times. I have yet to go to Los Angeles though.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Gramsci on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:52 am

I think if you go to LA we may have something to agree about...

The place is a shithole.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Major on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:24 am

Never been to NYC.

Lived in Chicago briefly.

Been to LA several times.

NYC - N/A

Chicago - Favorite city in the US

LA - CRAP. One of the worst places on the face of the planet.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby murderedman on Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:36 pm

Please keep telling NYers and Chicagoens that LA sucks because they're coming out here in droves and rents seem to have doubled.
murderedman
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Gramsci on Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:47 pm

murderedman wrote:Please keep telling NYers and Chicagoens that LA sucks because they're coming out here in droves and rents seem to have doubled.

Actually the weather is really nice, so that's a bonus...

But I'd default to San Fran -if I was to move to the West Coast of the United States-
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby mackro on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:17 pm

Don't ever tell someone in SF that his/her city is a default for L.A. That will get you murdered... or at least given a painful rant about how progressive the city is, how unprogressive L.A. is, etc. etc. which is all pretty much true, but having to hear it over and over and over again is like sticking a drill in one's brain.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Linus Van Pelt on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:39 pm

There is probably one place on the planet that I don't want to visit. That place is Los Angeles. Chicago is one of my favorite cities ever. New York City = Not Crap. So the Rank is:

1.Chicago
2.NYC
3.LA
Why do you make it so scary to post here.
Linus Van Pelt
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Bradley on Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:12 pm

murderedman wrote:Please keep telling NYers and Chicagoens that LA sucks because they're coming out here in droves and rents seem to have doubled.

And they're bringing their bullshit atitudes with them.
Bradley
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby kerble on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:59 pm

kerble wrote:
Justin from Queens wrote:Chicago is wonderful
Chiago is great
I lived around there until
I was ten plus eight

It's such a nice place
That it's almost a pity
that Chicago is not as good
as New York City.

Cheers,

= Justin

I wish you were right
my friend from the block
where the people they leave
their filth on the 'walk

4 thousand dollars
to live in a box
not even as wide
as the width of my cock?

You'd have to be daft
to think such a thing
but then "Justin from Pilsen"
doesn't have the same ring

I see where you come from
when you rep your set
but Chicago is nicer
and don't you forget.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby mackro on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:20 pm

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. L.A.

Although, I kinda prefer all three cities equally; and there are around twenty cities I'd prefer in North America alone than any of the three.
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Jeremy B on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:41 pm

I have found a lot to like about LA, as I have had to go there several times over the last year. I lived in Chicago for about a year, and liked it a lot, the people there were incredibly friendly and reminded me of people from home (most likely cause they were.)
I don't really have much of an opinion about NYC. It was fun to visit, I spent a lot of money, but in the end, unlike Chicago or LA, knew I could never live there.
I agree with Mackro in that there are other cities that I enjoy far more, like San Diego, Toronto, Milwaukee, & Denver (where I reside).

-Jeremy
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby sunlore on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:58 pm

Gramsci wrote:

Actually the weather is really nice, so that's a bonus...

But I'd default to San Fran -if I was to move to the West Coast of the United States-

For me it's more of a punishment. I have no patience for sunny days.

If I was going to go West Coast USA, I would choose Portland or Seattle.

I like Chicago better than New York. Such fine people I met in Chicago, and such long walks by Lake Michigan I enjoyed in wintertime.

But I will take my girl to see New York this winter. When I was 18 I first travelled to the US of A, on my own, and I remember standing in the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge, and feeling like I was at least at the centre point of the cosmos. So great. So great.

Other US cities I really enjoyed were Fargo, North Dakota (it was minus thirty) and Toledo, Ohio.
sunlore

Postby tipcat on Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:20 pm

This is apples and oranges and pomegranates.

New York is New York, take it or leave it with its many thrills and flaws. It's my hometown, yadda yadda...

Chicago is the most liveable of the three cities by a mile. I can't think of another city where I can have a nice apartment within walking distance of a great music venue and several great and fun bars where conversation (and eye candy) can be had easily. Bullshit: city stickers, aggressive ticketing/booting of cars, CTA (is it that hard to build some friggin' subways?), winter (worse than NYC and longer), overdevelopment, and a lack of a palpable "thing"

Los Angeles: Silicone, cars, traffic jams, Frank Gehry, Hollywood, smog, no football, no transit, earthquakes, hair gel, Fear, X, the LAPD. I dunno.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby matthew on Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:37 pm

Gramsci wrote:I think if you go to LA we may have something to agree about...

The place is a shithole.

I have heard nothing but negative things about LA, actually.......so you might be right!
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew

Postby DrAwkward on Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:52 am

1. Seattle
2. Chicago
3. NYC
4. LA

Although what is intensely bizarre is this: We've played shows in NYC the last three years and have had middling to "meh" responses except for a small handful of people. When we played LA at Mr. T's Bowl this year, we owned the room. DubsTF.

Chicago is best of the three because it's in the midwest, but the few days i spent in NYC in September were amazing. LA is plastic, but i had a good time there thanks to a friend of mine from Wisconsin who lives there now and bought me the best sushi i've ever eaten. It was like a heavenly host were fucking in my mouth!

But Seattle blows all three away.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby John George Peppers on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:45 am

I love NYC but Chicago is home. So Chicago edges out New York by a hair. Oh, and fuck L.A.

1.Chicago
2.NYC
3.LA
John George Peppers

Postby madlee on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:28 am

NYC - Only nice if you are wealthy, then it's great. But anywhere can be great if you are wealthy, even Philadelphia. I lived here for a few years and I would only move back if I was making a lot of money. Being poor in NYC sucks balls.

CHI-TOWN - I think you have to live there for a while to really appreciate it. The weather sucks for the most part. But, there's a reason why there is an interesting creative music scene there, that easily trumps NYC or LA. More interesting stuff seems to come out of here than other cities. This may be because the other cities in this poll are considered destinations.

LA - Not what it used to be only a few years ago. It's no longer cheap, and the traffic truly is horrendous now, whereas it had been a myth. When I lived there in the late 90's it was great. Cheap, great weather, no earth quakes, approachable hot girls, interesting music scene, interesting art scene. Good cheap food with cleanliness ratings. There's something egalitarian about this city. There would be days when I would be teaching in south central then find myself at night at some unbelievable house in the hills for a party. That kind of shit never happens anywhere else. Some people seem plastic here, but they are that way everywhere. It's just that an accent softens it.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby STF on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:41 am

All of your worst suspicions and stereotypes about L.A. are true. The people are shallow and stupid. I lived there for a while and hated it. Depending on what time of day I had to be at work it could take anywhere from 40 minutes to three hours. I remember sitting in a car on the highway without air conditioning for 45 minutes within view of the Staples Center. And you have to drive everywhere. I felt like poor trash walking along a divided highway and across medians to a "corner store" to buy cigarettes. Californians suck. They seem very open and friendly but any time one engages you in a conversation you realize they are not listening while you talk, just waiting for their turn.

I lived in Chicago for eight years and loved it there.

I've visited NYC and would live there if I had the means.
STF
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Tuolumne on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 am

STF wrote:Californians suck.

California does not equal LA. Just sayin.

And there are some hidden gems in LA if you know where to look. Not many, tho.
Tuolumne
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby fantasmatical thorr on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:38 am

NYC - Been there lots and always had a great time but I still haven't been to Brooklyn. Not sure why, I think maybe it's because I have a feeling I know what it's like = any hip neighbourhood, and I would probably love it then be disowned by others for doing so! Still, Coney Island and all that crap, dive bars you can secretly smoke in, great friends, my cousin. BUt it's soooo expensive!

Chi - Only been once for T&G25. Because of that, I didn't really "experience" Chicago all that much, just a week of drinking and walking in the rain but all teh people I met there were truly nice, genuine and the bars/eateries are wonderful mostly. I would definitely go back there.

LA - Never been...yet. Most of my friends say they hate it but being devils advocate I'm sure I would make the most of it if I went which is mainly down to people I know. Then again, living there I'm sure is a whole other kettle of fish.

Why is SF not on this poll? It's as expensive as the other three cities mentioned!

So, in summmary, I'll have to choose NY, only because I know it and it's similarities with London means I can easily imagine living there...which I'm not overly keen on doing either!
Tom wrote: I remember going in the back and seeing him headbanging to Big Black. He looked like he was raping the air- really. He had this look on his face like, "yeah air... you know you want it.".
fantasmatical thorr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap