Re: What one record changed your life?

Postby Antero on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Myshkin on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:18 pm

Primarily two records my dad listened to a lot when I was a kid. One was a bunch of Buddy Holly songs, one was a bunch of Chuck Berry songs. My life changed again when I first heard Dinosaur, Jr. I heard Without a Sound and Bug around the same time.
Myshkin
timex
timex

Postby floog on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Changed my life or changed my listening habits?

A change of listening habits came first: at 15 years of age, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast primed my ears for guitar squeals and fast drums, and probably the idea that lyrics could carry a theme other than love.

Changed my life: Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime. This was a genuine revelation, not least because it took me 12 months to understand it. I bought it in 1987, listened to it, hated it (to my ears: a singer that couldn't sing, a guitar that sounded out of tune, oddly-syncopated drums that sounded like tin pots being played in a kitchen at the end of a cathedral wing, bass that seemed like it had nothing to do with the song). I gave the LP to a mate, I forgot he had it, he gave it back 12 months later and said ominously: "Kev, you need to listen to it again".

He was right. A few more listens, whilst staring hard at the photos on the LP covers and reading the lyrics, and gradually punk made sense, ethically, politically, musically. I've a feeling that the attitudes on this album have framed most of my thought processes ever since.
"My life has been made a misery by people brought up on loud music" - Ivor Cutler

The Band: http://manreads.bandcamp.com/
floog
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Location: Bluebell Retirement Home for the Terminally Undecided

Postby jeff_fox on Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:55 pm

6th grade.
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby SecondEdition on Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:53 pm

I don't know if I could narrow it down to one record above all others. But these are the five that did it. They're not necessarily my favorite records ever released at this stage (though some of them are), but they changed my life and influenced my direction.

Honorable mention: Swans, Cop/Young God.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby ergo space pig on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:41 pm

there were a few - OK Computer and Black Foliage by Olivia Tremor Control were both really mind-expanding to me when i was 12 (the former partly because it took me a long time to get into). but i had already heard all the Beatles albums by then and my favorite songs were like Helter Skelter and Tomorrow Never Knows and I Am The Walus, so i already had a preference for the slightly weird. i guess the biggest game-changer for me was hearing Trout Mask Replica the summer before i went to college. since then, i feel like i've been much more open to hearing different kinds of music than i ever was before that point.
ergo space pig
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Carl on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Starship's Knee Deep in the Hoopla. Came out when I was 15, living in the East Bay, and still listening to commercial radio despite not enjoying whenever Sammy Hagar, Night Ranger, Huey Lewis, or Journey came on. Those were bad, but the de-Jeffersonized Starship was an entirely new level of wretched. And omnipresent, at least in San Francisco. By the time the monstrosity "We Built This City" had hit number #1, I had abandoned all commercial stations in favor of KALX and (when I was on the other side of the bay) KUSF, opening up a world of great music and leading me down the path of working for freeform stations, the last of which is where I met my wife.

Thank you for being so horrible, Starship. Who knows where I'd be without you.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby DrAwkward on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby enframed on Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Bill Swansea wrote:Image

It's still my favourite album today.

Me, too. Totally blew my 19-yo mind and remains my favorite album.

The White Album is probably number two (and occurred at a much younger age, I think I was seven when I heard it) on the mind-blown list.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby E. Norma Stitz on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:17 pm

I was about 3-4 years old. Changed my life.
E. Norma Stitz
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby A Fine Chaos on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Antero wrote:Image

This.

I was already a pretty big Ramones, Dead Boys, Pistols, etc. fan but hearing what Andy Gill with a guitar on Entertainment! (Guns and Butter and I Found That Essence Rare in particular) completely rearranged my frame of reference for what the instrument meant in a band. The whole guitar as texture and dissonant counterpoint thing was what made me start playing. It was so counter to what even the first punk bands were doing to approach "guitar rock". It was also my gateway to MetalBox, Pop Group, Contortions, Comsat Angels and a whole slew of other bands. But this album and, to a lesser extent Solid Gold, are works of art I keep coming back to.

By the way, in case anyone noticed or cared, I'm back from a brief-ish visit to suicidal depression land. All limbs are still intact and I'm in pretty good shape again. I'm back with a therapist/friend who's helping me with the whole everyone I care about is either currently dying or dead thing and it feels like I'm getting up on my feet again.

I mean things have to be looking up - I'm discussing bands that no one else outside of the other music nerds on this board could possibly give a crap about.

Be good

Ken
A Fine Chaos
tmidgett
tmidgett

Postby Maurice on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Ken, best wishes to you. Welcome back, fellow music nerd.

There are a lot of pivotal albums I could point to, but if I'm picking just one that changed things for me, it would be this:

As a teenager looking for weird stuff, I encountered Ralph Records, and bought various Residents things; this FF LP was on Ralph and was described as "experimental" or something, so it seemed worth picking up. Side two in particular was huge in determining my musical sensibility, particularly in the textural use of tape, the layer of noise(s) within the music, the free improv stuff. To the teenage me, it promised an exciting, ad hoc approach to music and a kind of life in which one could create unexpected otherness and beauty. It rotated my ears and set my inner compass. I don't listen to it a whole lot now, but I don't have to--it's all still in here.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice

Postby A Totem Pole on Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:50 pm

///
Last edited by A Totem Pole on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Totem Pole
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby hench on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:03 pm

if i read this as "what one record changed your life first?" i'm pretty sure it's black sabbath's 'paranoid' -- would have heard my dad's copy of this (when my mom was out of the house) when i was around 3-4 years old.

if i read this as "what one record do you still viscerally remember hearing for the first time and having your mind utterly blown because at six years old you'd never heard anything like it?" it's 'van halen i' - specifically, the one-two punch of "eruption" into "you really got me" from a red plastic transistor radio while sitting on the front porch steps on a sunny summer day.

hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby E. Norma Stitz on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Can we get a clarification on, "...changed your life?"
E. Norma Stitz

Postby Jodi S. on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:18 pm

My cousin Scott, who was 10 years older than me, had an awesomely curated record collection.

I say "curated" not in the 2011 hipster sense, but rather in the early 70's teenager sense. Every record was a precious object to be revered, handled lovingly (but still by the edges so as not to put fingerprints on it) and to occasionally roll a joint on.

On afternoons after school, I would spend a few hours in my aunt's house with my cousins. Scott's room was clearly the place to be, with its black light posters, wave machine, and a skull which inexplicably had a Cincinnati Reds cap on it.

One after another, he'd play records like the first B-52's album, London Calling, Kraftwerk, Ted Nugent, Queen, Cheap Trick, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd...

And this one:

Out of all the strange and wonderful records Scott played for me, Close To The Edge was the one that I kept coming back to. He let me borrow it and I think I kept it for three years. It was this, and the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey that captivated my pre-teen mind.

My mom had plenty of jazz records, but I didn't really appreciate those until I got a bit older - and realized that nobody else's mom had a whole shelf of Sun Ra and Mingus.

As soon as I hit junior high, I started getting more into punk rock/noisy rock and by then Scott was gone, off to the Air Force base in Grand Forks, ND. I'd write him letters about bands I was starting to see, records I was growing to love, and even sent him cassettes folded into the heavy sweaters my mom knit for him. It was never the same as sitting on his horrible shag carpet and singing along to Joan Jett.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby sleepkid on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Jodi S. wrote:My cousin Scott, who was 10 years older than me, had an awesomely curated record collection.

I say "curated" not in the 2011 hipster sense, but rather in the early 70's teenager sense. Every record was a precious object to be revered, handled lovingly (but still by the edges so as not to put fingerprints on it) and to occasionally roll a joint on.

On afternoons after school, I would spend a few hours in my aunt's house with my cousins. Scott's room was clearly the place to be, with its black light posters, wave machine, and a skull which inexplicably had a Cincinnati Reds cap on it.

One after another, he'd play records like the first B-52's album, London Calling, Kraftwerk, Ted Nugent, Queen, Cheap Trick, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd...

And this one:

Out of all the strange and wonderful records Scott played for me, Close To The Edge was the one that I kept coming back to. He let me borrow it and I think I kept it for three years. It was this, and the soundtrack to 2001: A Space Odyssey that captivated my pre-teen mind.

My mom had plenty of jazz records, but I didn't really appreciate those until I got a bit older - and realized that nobody else's mom had a whole shelf of Sun Ra and Mingus.

As soon as I hit junior high, I started getting more into punk rock/noisy rock and by then Scott was gone, off to the Air Force base in Grand Forks, ND. I'd write him letters about bands I was starting to see, records I was growing to love, and even sent him cassettes folded into the heavy sweaters my mom knit for him. It was never the same as sitting on his horrible shag carpet and singing along to Joan Jett.

This is why I read threads on this forum.

I can't wait for your autobiography to come out. It's going to be good.
PRF Records Club. Records for the PRF made by the PRF. Read about it here.
Get the music here: http://www.lakeoffake.com
sleepkid

Postby magilla on Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:51 pm

caset wrote: Yank Crime

good one!

For me, it's: Image

There was an energy behind the loud that made me dig into it deeper. I found the arrangements were more complicated and twisted than your average screaming music. I dug the dual lead singers, I dug the frantic drums.

Then I read the lyrics and they were the eternal divine erection sent on a rocket from the future, delivered in girly whines and balls-out screams that shook me awake and made me give a fuck about music and making the most of my youth. Yes. YES. This is how hard (and how smart) you have to rock if you want to rock these days. The last track of the album (and sadly of the band), Giant Swan, is my Stairway to Heaven.

Whenever I come across someone really gushing over an album I usually pay attention (cough Steve). I got Spiderland and it's pretty cool and better than a lot of the other shit out there, but it's not for me. As much as I (and Pandora) would like there to be a formula for what sticks and what doesn't, there is none. But I have noticed that the stuff that sticks is the stuff that you warm up to, that you might not like at first. That gets you out of your comfort zone.
magilla
seminarian
seminarian

Postby Marsupialized on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion