home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Best "Going Insane" Album

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Best "Going Insane" Album

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:31 pm

I'm not sure if the work should be the perfect soundtrack to one's own insanity or a reflection of the artist's decent into madness. But in either case, the following albums apply:

No Trend: Tritonian Nash-Vegas Polyester Complex

No Trend: A Dozen Dead Roses

Keuhkot: Mitä Otat Mukaan Muistoksi Sivistyksestä

Bobby Conn: Rise Up!

Drunks with Guns: Alter Human Industrial Fetishisms EP

John Gavanti: s/t

Mars: Mars EP

Von Lmo: Tranceformer
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby goatlord on Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:13 am

Runzelstirn & Gurgelstøck – Schimpfluch-Commune Int.

This is the first time that I've been so scared and disgusted by music that I seriously considered turning it off. It has so many noises and samples that you never get bored, as opposed to a lot of concrete-noise music, but it makes NWW look like a child music band in comparisson.

Current 93 and Thomas Ligotti - I have a special plan for this world.

This is the sound of deep depression, so deep that it is impossible to do nothing or see nothing that it's not dark. I've recently read Teatro Grottesco, and it let me in a state of profound dysphoria for a couple of hours.

Vic Chesnutt - At the cut.

It's mostly the context of the album that fucks me up, the fact that he killed himself shortly after he recorded it. Flirted with you all my life remains as the saddest song ever recorded, it seems that he was trying to come to terms with his mortality, and he couldn't win.

Brutal Truth - End time.

This guys made an excellent job with this one. Political desesperation at the highest level, it represents the frustration of seeing the world going to shit and not being able to do nothing. The last track it's like going through the Gobi desert with no water whatsoever.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Re: Re:

Postby honeyisfunny on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:08 pm

RSMurphy wrote:How did you come to play in the Telescopes? What period? Awesome.

About 7 years ago at a guess? Just as they started doing stuff again. It was Stephen, Jo and me as a trio and the venue had speakers in all 4 corners of the room and it was the loudest gig I think I've played (I've played some dickhead loud gigs too). Just 2 guitars and Stephen on a synth and a tabletop guitar. Here's some evidence - http://drownedinsound.com/gigs/1246/reviews/11900-
He didn't like it, I had a blast though. Haven't seen Steve in a long while but Jo remains one of my best mates.
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby numberthirty on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 pm

While it's just a song, this fills the bill:

154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Mama Clortho on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:42 pm

The Raincoats - Odyshape
Skip Spence - Oar
Mama Clortho
names vacuums with eyes closed
names vacuums with eyes closed

Postby AndrewEarles on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:19 pm

Joel R.L. Phelps "Blackbird"
Kramer "The Guilt Trip" 3LP box
This Kind of Punishment "A Beard of Bees"
Pig Destroyer "Phantom Limb"
Silkworm "Firewater"
the Papa M side of the Papa M/Entrance split 7" circa whytookey

Not knowing whether to choose albums that are clearly the sound of artists going insane or albums that I go to when my eggs are scrambled, I chose neither. I can't profess to know what is in ones head when they create something, and music isn't the first thing I go to when I feel unhinged/upset/stressed-out. In the case of the latter, I usually read, namely the books that can be found in the true crime or paranormal sections of my library/the bookstore. These are just records in which I can hear a lot of emotion, and ones in which I enjoy processing said emotion, whatever the origin or initial drive...
AndrewEarles
monsignior
monsignior

Postby ergo space pig on Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 am

Royal Trux - s/t (first album)
Red House Painters - Down Colorful Hill
PJ Harvey - White Chalk
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
Low - Trust
Nina Nastasia - Run to Ruin
Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider
ergo space pig
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby Amoeba Incarnate on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:29 am

Amoeba Incarnate
sister
sister

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:49 am

Big Star -Sister Lovers
Chris Bell- I Am the Cosmos
Lou Reed- Metal Machine Music
Love- Forever Changes
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Mister Grabski on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:44 pm

I'm so unrefined.

12 Bar Blues by Scott Weiland
ANY recs of the flesh
King Crimson - Red
QOTSA - Era Vulgaris (if you're going insane but you're having fun with it)
"The Strain" - PRF-010 - 2012
Mister Grabski
ernie
ernie

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:53 pm

Mister Grabski wrote:12 Bar Blues by Scott Weiland

That is a very out there record.
numberthirty

Postby numberthirty on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Black Ribbon Award by Stephen Brodsky might fill the bill. All over the place.

numberthirty

Postby gjp on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:24 am

Khanate
gjp

Postby Mandroid2.0 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 am

I have given up since the original post and now see that the only answer is Evangelista.
"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost."

-Gustave Flaubert
Mandroid2.0
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Re:

Postby BClark on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:24 am

jayryan wrote:i'm not sure i feel right in replying to this thread.

please be more specific: albums which spur insanity? albums which document the musician's descent into insanity?

i think you mean the former.

i'd be way more interested in hearing examples of the latter. i know syd barrett's solo stuff must fall into that category but i'm sure that's not quite the best it gets. his solo albums require lots of digging for good songs/moments.

eyehategod perhaps? that would be speculating, but they sound fucking crazy on some stuff. dopesick in particular, and not just in that crashing/screaming intro, the whole thing has this relentless and out of control feel that permeates in their playing. studios have complained that their insanity during recording sessions can be tough to contain -- broken glass, smeared blood on the walls, and what not.

deep.BTUz wrote:latest period Tupac.

yeah that is one right there. poor dude -- he was evidently very paranoid about being killed, and it seemed that when his murder eventually happened, due to the paranoia he had scarcely lived any of his last years in a state of peace. constantly getting ripped off, running with totally the wrong dudes, making enemies left and right with all sides getting very testy with the threats, the move to death row was obviously a very bad decision, legal/police troubles even after he did his jail time. his later stuff really did bring out the "man on the edge" in him -- the split personalities with different musical/lyrical/emotional purposes for each, and what not.

i find it fascinating that (partially due to the paranoia) in his later years he was in such a rush to record as much as he could, that he couldn't get beats supplied to him fast enough to satisfy his writing speed. so in order to meet his quota of 3-4 songs a day, he would frequently record over a metronome or other click-track. having kept this pretty well organized, with tempo information and all, the arrangement is what has enabled so many of his unreleased songs to be freshly mixed with new beats and released in a seemingly endless series of posthumous CDs.

i know a few other rappers who fall into this category. scarface for one. and bizzy bone's recent stuff can be overwhelmingly insane -- dude has undergone this really crazy born-again religious moment in his life, he gave this really unsettling 15-minute interview a few years back (more or less consisting of "praise GOD" in every possible tone you could imagine) which made its way to the internet and got people really wondering if he was alright... one day he's a born again christian, the next he's muslim talking about submitting to allah, he makes songs where he prays and does this weird "speaking in tongues" vocal thing. was putting out 3 albums a year a few years back. and musically stellar in several of those albums. definitely not always the kind of topical content i can get down with, wayyy too religious for my taste some of the time... but musically very inspired and moving. and technically unlike any other rap/song combination ever, this dude can do that whole technique better than anyone really. only other dude in bone thugs who compares with him is krayzie (nothing against layzie or flesh-n-bone).

the last few years i guess he's fallen off a little, his golden period in this "religious conversion" phase was more like 05-07.
I composed and produced the album California is Cold by Shahmen. Check out the video we just put out for the song Poison.
BClark

Postby ghosting on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 am

American Music Club maybe.

Def. agree with His Name Is Alive, Beheaded (whenever my husband puts it on I know to worry), the Beach Boys (I think the recently officially released Smile Sessions is even better at this actually), that Cure trifecta (plus Disintegration maybe), Third, Gentlemen (and I'd throw Scrawl's records in there), III, Devotion + Doubt, Six Finger Satellite ('cause nobody cares about you in a cold cruel world), early Throwing Muses (and select Kristin Hersh solo stuff too), I am the Cosmos, Red House Painters, Rid of Me, non-chill Radiohead, Earth, depressed Black Flag, Daniel Johnston, Elliott Smith (though not that record for me personally, other stuff). I'd also throw in the early dingy dark-sounding Songs: Ohia records. And Robert Schumann for that "jump into a river" mental breakdown feel. Shostakovich too, come to think of it, with the wild paranoia shining through.
lemur68 wrote:Bees make honey. That's what they do. Make honey, protect the queen, have sex with flowers, and occasionally rip their butt out after stinging a motherfucker.
ghosting
jose raul capablanca
jose raul capablanca

Postby HOUSTON_M on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am

I'm not saying that it's the best example but I think Moonhead by Thin White Rope qualifies for inclusion in this thread.
HOUSTON_M

Postby Isabelle Gall on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:40 am

Shaun Harris, self-titled orchestral bummer from 1973 from West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band alumnus with Hal Blaine, Jim Gordon, Carol Kaye, Bruce Johnston and his parents (!), across ten songs about wanting to kill himself. Harris has said Capitol had no interest in promoting it as they were releasing another album called Dark Side Of The Moon on the same day, but maybe they just didn't have a clue what to do with it.

phpBB [media]
Last edited by Isabelle Gall on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Redline on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:09 am

Fraction's Moon Blood lp
phpBB [media]
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby taylor swiftboat orgy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:20 pm

SPK with their classic Information Overload Unit
phpBB [media]

Someone posted some Drunks W/Guns (thankfully) so 4 more from St. Louis : IT FEELS LIKE - SKIN!
phpBB [media]

YOU BREED, LIKE RATS. BREEDING STYLIZED DEFORMITY. DON'T LOOK BACK
A career dedicated 2 going insane. Live, R. Wright even looks like Phil Donahue on a meth bender
phpBB [media]
taylor swiftboat orgy
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion