Band: The Arcade Fire

CRAP
60%
NOT CRAP
40%

Total votes : 236

Re: Band: The Arcade Fire

Postby deep.BTUz on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:48 pm

I don’t care one way or the other about Arcade Fire.

I do find the angle of the critique to be hilarious though.

So there is music that is inherently masculine and music that is inherently feminine? There is music with ‘balls’ and music w/o ‘balls’? While I understand that this is pretty much par for the course rock critic babble, mixed with some run of the mill crabs in a bucket hater shit; it’s still hilariously dumb.

I guess the guy with three chins who listens to thrash metal during his graveyard shift at Sunoco is some kind of template for masculine virility?

Who knew?
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Perhaps we should change Crap / Not Crap to Balls / No Balls?

MOZART: So then you like it? You really like it, Your Majesty?

EMPEROR: Of course I do. It's very good. Of course now and then - just now and then - it gets a touch elaborate.

MOZART: What do you mean, Sire?

EMPEROR: Well, I mean occasionally it seems to have, how shall one say? [he stops in difficulty; turning to Orsini-Rosenberg] How shall one say, Director?

ORSINI-ROSENBERG: Too much balls, Your Majesty?

EMPEROR: Exactly. Very well put. Too much balls.

MOZART: I don't understand. There is just as much balls, Majesty, as is required. Neither more nor less.
Last edited by madmanmunt on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Teacher's Pet on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:28 pm

jurgis rudkus wrote:Just now realized that krs is in fact an invention by Supe -- a yang to his own yin.

Glad I'm not the only one who hadn't figured this out until today.
The kid photo is a dead giveaway.
Teacher's Pet
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:40 pm

OrthodoxEaster wrote:I'm surprised nobody has bandied about the all-purpose term "hater" yet--the ultimate auto-touché whenever someone's criticism of something else makes a person feel ridiculously defensive.

deep.BTUz wrote:some run of the mill crabs in a bucket hater shit

This reference wins you a lifetime supply of Turtle Wax and automatically enters you for a chance to enjoy an all-expenses paid trip to Puerto Vallarta.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby SorenKierkegaardsMom on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:25 pm

For what it’s worth, there is a huge difference between the internet persona and the actual person, and I really think that most everyone that would bother with a relatively specialized internet forum such as this one would generally like one another if they actually met, and that includes people that are unanimously written off as “trolls”. The impersonal nature of internet discussion facilitates clashes that wouldn’t be otherwise, at least the way the internet is all too rashly used. There are a lot of dynamics at work within the impersonal presence of the internet medium that wouldn’t be there in the flesh, and I bet anyone could imagine someone they know and love that they could probably find some difficulty with in the anonymous internet persona world. It’s kinda like road rage where you find yourself indignant at other cars mostly cause they might be driven by indignant assholes. It gets really irritating when people are called “trolls”, cause it’s clear to anyone that can see it how short-sighted it is. “Troll” behavior is fuelled more than anything by the label-crazed invention of the category itself. 9 times out of 10 if you don't jump on the person you'd find they are not that much different from you.

PS. All things considered, and despite their not being of the “electrical" variety, Radiohead are a great band....(Runs for the hills).

PPS. I don’t take myself as seriously as I may sound at times typing on the internet, and in person you’d likely wonder if I ever do.
SorenKierkegaardsMom
carter family
carter family

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:17 pm

I always take Marsupialized's rants in the spirit of an angry comedian. He's having fun with writing, so what? He described The Arcade Fire as the soundtrack to buying a scarf; that's funny. He says funny stuff often.

You want to tell somebody to stop being funny? You don't appreciate them making humourous interjections in a serious discussion about the merits of The Arcade Fire?
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:07 am

I cannot believe how fascinating I am to hormonally challenged indie rock kids.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby unsaved on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 am

krs wrote:Image

Lecturing people to act right and be good citizens is the very definition of cuntiness.
unsaved
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby scott on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:57 am

krs wrote:
unsaved wrote:
krs wrote:Image

Lecturing people to act right and be good citizens is the very definition of cuntiness.

You missed my point, but your response does fit in quite well with what Marsuplized and a few others here have said about the music people choose to listen to. Dude can write whatever he wants. Adding some creativity and thought would be good. Wit. Don't always go for the easy joke, because it's not really very interesting or funny.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say we're really gonna miss you, krs. Hopefully whatever forum you switch to is more in line with your requirements. Take care and best of luck.
May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather
first show - last show
scott
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:05 pm

A little creepy that this kid would dislike me so much yet focus 100 percent of his time discussing me and my posts. Not only that but somehow posting stuff from my Facebook when there's no way in hell I am friends with him on there. So his obsession with another dude has gotten to the point where he has either made a fake person to be friends with me on there with or he's got someone sending him pictures off my Facebook for some monumentally creepy reason. I mean he hates me and what u do yet he's looking at pictures of me when I was a kid in his spare time. That's beyond sad and a little frightening to be honest, that us the level you have to worth about a dude showing up at your house and shit, he's that sexually confused with rage. Dude can you stop being the creepiest dude in the world please? I am not interested. I don't know what you want but I know I am not interested. Just ignore me if you hate it, it's sad and unpleasant.
Marsupialized

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I do not sit at home looking for pictures of you, I do nt know your name and do not care to. That tells me there is an imbalance at play and that is creepy as all fuck to me. I want you to stop being obsessed with me, I have tried to ignore you for a full year now yet it's only ramped up stronger and stronger on your end, can you see where that would trouble someone? I am not interested in interacting with you, mean or happy, just not into it, trying to figure out how to get you to focus on something else, you dont feel that's odd for a dude to be in that position with some other dude he does not know or care to know?
I do not want to be friends, enemies or lovers with you so please find someone else to search for pictures of at home. Please, leave me alone. I am not about to say shit about you on here, so what is your endgame, in your head? What happens at the end?
Marsupialized

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Thank you, it's gotten completely weird and I hope that is that and everyone can move on, nothing is being accomplished
Marsupialized

Postby Andrew. on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:42 am

Commentary on their self-serving and in some ways racist appropriation of Haitian/Caribbean culture:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ed/281377/
Andrew.
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby HOUSTON_M on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:02 am

Andrew. wrote:Commentary on their self-serving and in some ways racist appropriation of Haitian/Caribbean culture:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... ed/281377/

And people of non-European ancestry celebrating Halloween is somehow not cultural appropriation.
HOUSTON_M

Postby Bernardo on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:26 am

big_dave wrote:Radiohead are a spectacular band (...) Which is only to be expected of a band who were briefly both the biggest and the best band in the world.

gah

btw, I know good enough to take Marsupialized's rants with a grain of salt, but I don't see why everyone is supposed to do the same, or be aware of his real life persona, etc. People on the internet only come off as good as what they're writing, and I don't expect anyone to research my history before responding to something I wrote, the conversation has to stand on its own. Marsupialized seems to do fine without the aforementioned circling of the wagons, too.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Angus Jung on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:01 pm

big_dave wrote:It's hard to imagine any category of pop band or rock band where Radiohead haven't been the best at some point

big_dave wrote::vomit:
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:25 pm

I'm not even sure how many albums Radiohead has post-HTTT as I stopped caring about them for the most part, but I still don't get how it happened that they got dragged in into this discussion.
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt

Postby jurgis rudkus on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:07 pm

AF do suck wildly but that Atlantic piece is shit.
Honk If You Demand Satisfaction

There is an epidemic of people being 'offended' by things as some kind of hobby.
- Mark Kozelek
jurgis rudkus

Postby Johnny C on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:42 pm

never have i wished harder to be able to rescind a not crap vote for a band than when win "western-wear bono" butler lurched his way into the music press' dying cycle of 2013 exclusively to say a bunch of crypto-racist shit about haitians
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Johnny C on Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm

desperately hoping that everyone saw the quote where he basically said "drums are pretty much how they talk, down there, in haiti"
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap