Band: The Arcade Fire

CRAP
60%
NOT CRAP
40%

Total votes : 236

Re: Band: The Arcade Fire

Postby madmanmunt on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Johnny C wrote:desperately hoping that everyone saw the quote where he basically said "drums are pretty much how they talk, down there, in haiti"

Dude never went to the Tam-Tams on Mont-Royal?

wikipedia wrote:The Montreal Tamtams are a drum circle based in Montreal, Canada. The free event gathers thousands of drum players, dancers, vendors and visitors, every Sunday, at the George-Étienne Cartier Monument in Mount Royal Park.[1] The Tamtam festivities start around 1 pm and continue until sunset. Tam-tams, or simply "tams" as they are sometimes called by locals, began in 1978 and over the years have become one of the main tourist attractions of the city. They take place officially from early May to late September. In addition to the drum circle by the statue, people sit on the grassy areas surround it relaxing, tanning, playing frisbee, and smoking marijuana. There is also a DJ booth set up at the Mordecai Richler Gazebo and a larping area further back in the woods.

I bet he'd enjoy the larping, too.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby DrAwkward on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:12 am

So, what, no one has anything snarky to say about the dress code for their upcoming tour?
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby kerble on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:28 am

DrAwkward wrote:So, what, no one has anything snarky to say about the dress code for their upcoming tour?

Good for them. I think most of the people who go to shows dress like slovenly assholes.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 am

DrAwkward wrote:So, what, no one has anything snarky to say about the dress code for their upcoming tour?

Marsupialized wrote: cunts
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Johnny C on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:32 am

big_dave wrote:It sounds dumb out of context, and they're obviously just a bunch of overweening privately schooled adenoids, but I see evidence of pretention and stupidity, not racism.

dude it's a bunch of direct othering of black haitians, what with their "voodoo rhythms" adding a real spooky vibe to the band and everything. we don't need to set the bar particularly high for racism, and "clueless" and "racist" aren't mutually exclusive
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby ben on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:32 am

Arcade fire is playing here in Louisville. I heard on the radio this morning that they are asking the audience to come dressed in formal attire. They can eat a dick.
ben
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby Barbo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:22 am

I don't know much about this band other than the fact that I caught a snippet of a live show on tv and the singer looks to be using an EV664 mic with the head and capsule of a Beta57 mounted inside. This really aggravated me. I have a problem with disguising a modern mic in a vintage shell.

Jon
Barbo
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:47 am

Johnny C wrote:
big_dave wrote:It sounds dumb out of context, and they're obviously just a bunch of overweening privately schooled adenoids, but I see evidence of pretention and stupidity, not racism.

dude it's a bunch of direct othering of black haitians, what with their "voodoo rhythms" adding a real spooky vibe to the band and everything. we don't need to set the bar particularly high for racism, and "clueless" and "racist" aren't mutually exclusive

I don't see how using voodoo rhythms or mixing in any other culture's music into pop or rock music is racist. There are ways it could be done in a racist manner - say, if they were in blackface or dressed up like a witch doctor or chanting "hoogah-boogah" or what have you - but the harshest thing they could be accused of here is appropriation (besides sucking), which happens all the goddamn time in any art. Was it racist for Talking Heads to start using afro-funk rhythms? Was it racist for Ray Charles to play country songs? Are there boundaries people are required to stay within over what cultural influences can be used in their music?
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby HOUSTON_M on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:49 am

Johnny C wrote:dude it's a bunch of direct othering of black haitians

Maybe to middle-class Canadians black Haitians are an "Other". I consider Haitians to be an Other. They are not my people.

don't need to set the bar particularly high for racism, and "clueless" and "racist" aren't mutually exclusive

In my (extensive) experience clueless and anti-racist are often mutually inclusive.
HOUSTON_M

Postby Johnny C on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 pm

big_dave wrote:In fact the article says they're not racist, just a bunch of misanthropic shit about their audience probably being racist:

The band has a longstanding relationship with Haiti, starting with member Régine Chassagne’s ancestry (her parents fled the nation during the Duvalier horrors). They have been dedicated supporters of Partners in Health, which works to eradicate disease in Haiti. As Darville points out, though, audiences generally lack this context, and the onus is on the artist to recognize that fact.

this isn't a free pass for a white guy from texas to talk about how these black people they played for and are paying money (and, btw, good on the percussionists for taking a dumb white guy's cash in exchange for giving his music those island vibes he wants so badly) understand music on a more primal, you know, almost primitive level, with no connection to the modernity of rock and roll, just you know, all these drums that really put them in touch with the roots of the music.

that régine is haitian herself makes this even more grating. like if this is a thing where she just wants to bring her home culture to the world why is her husband describing haitians in terms that stop just short of "and the bones in their noses are quite fetching"?

and i don't know why i should have to explain in 2013 that you can support charities and still deep down think and act like a white imperialist. there are republicans who donate to habitat for humanity or whatever.

jimmy two hands wrote:I don't see how using voodoo rhythms or mixing in any other culture's music into pop or rock music is racist. There are ways it could be done in a racist manner - say, if they were in blackface or dressed up like a witch doctor or chanting "hoogah-boogah" or what have you - but the harshest thing they could be accused of here is appropriation (besides sucking), which happens all the goddamn time in any art. Was it racist for Talking Heads to start using afro-funk rhythms? Was it racist for Ray Charles to play country songs? Are there boundaries people are required to stay within over what cultural influences can be used in their music?

there's nothing inherently wrong with cribbing rhythms from other cultures! but i would argue that when you're wearing carneval masks and promoting your album with bastardized vévé (!) and using all of these cultural trappings as part of your "brand" or whatever, and when you talk about your new session musicians in interviews in terms of how exotic and primal (almost savage-like) their contributions to your rock'n'roll with its matured place in american culture, you are dangerously skirting the "hoogah-boogah" line. it's maybe not obvious racism like elvis costello throwing slurs at james brown and ray charles, but not all racism is patently obvious on the face of it.

Johnny C

Postby Johnny C on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:08 pm

HOUSTON_M wrote:In my (extensive) experience clueless and anti-racist are often mutually inclusive.

so most of the pro-racists you've met are really clued-in, then, is what you're saying

Johnny C

Postby J. Burns on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:27 pm

I know we were just riffing on this a little earlier on FB, but the classism of the dress code makes their appropriation of Haitian culture go down just a little bit rougher.

Mac, I hope signing these twits paid off your mortgage.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Johnny C on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:42 pm

i mean, a website using language that is currently in vogue on the internet is way less significant to me than a popular band dressing up and putting on a vaguely minstrelsy show to promote their followup to the winner of the album of the year grammy for 2010, and disliking the terms that a website is setting its argument in is a far cry from the article in question actually being wrong in its substance, you know?

like, they're making a very public display of this stuff and framing it in ways that someone with even a passing knowledge of edward said should be able to look at and go "that's sorta fucked up." i don't see why calling that racist is a bit much, unless we (again) want deliberately to set the bar quite high for what qualifies as racist.

(also i was putting the bones stuff in the mouth of win butler, and i could repeat the stuff he's previously said about the drums but it's a matter of public record and i'd be belabouring the point.)

Johnny C

Postby Johnny C on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:43 pm

i mean really if there's a functional difference between what win butler said about drums being how they communicate "down there" and what the cab driver in this wiley tweet says i would like to know what it is

Johnny C

Postby Ptommydski on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 pm

'Africa' by Toto.
Ptommydski

Postby NewDarkAge on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Ptommydski wrote:'Africa' by Toto.

Man, I can't wait till I get to go to Africa and see Mt. Kilimanjaro rise like Olympus above the Serengeti.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.

Sighthound
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby J. Burns on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:59 pm

big_dave wrote:

What you're talking about so widespread in indie and indie as a cultural signifier of being white and college educated that I think calling out the Arcade Fire specifically as "racist" is a bit much, and more to do with the fact that they have a big successful album out that people are talking about on the internet.

Kill the head and the body will die.
J. Burns
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby enframed on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Can did it right with their EFS.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed

Postby deep.BTUz on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:09 pm

big_dave wrote:Isn't a bunch of indie fans demonising the most popular indie band for being racist an example of the problem is always with the other, never in myself?

Dude puhleze, this forum has a black person.

But seriously someone should hit up Gawker or The Huffington Post and let them know about this. Halloween is over, so they're going to need something.

And The Beastie Boys the dress code thing in '07.
Ice up, son
deep.BTUz
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Angus Jung on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:22 pm

They must really like that band The Rapture in Haiti.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap