home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Louisville Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Louisville Thread

Postby arablue on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:31 am

buffalo trace is in frankfort and they'll do a variety of tastings, not just the standard but the special batches as well. dudeguy's other recs are spot on. unfortunately the bourbon trail is kind of spread out, so you should pick some stills that are within your travelling limits and go from there. if you do make it to frankfort or lexington id be happy to show you around
andy from kentucky
arablue
mencken
mencken

Postby ben on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:55 pm

I'm helping Swearing at Motorists do a house show in Louisville. Check out the link and fro god's sake attend.

http://motoristshouseshows.bigcartel.co ... 2-2013-8pm
ben
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby Tommy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:07 pm

arablue wrote:buffalo trace is in frankfort and they'll do a variety of tastings, not just the standard but the special batches as well. dudeguy's other recs are spot on. unfortunately the bourbon trail is kind of spread out, so you should pick some stills that are within your travelling limits and go from there. if you do make it to frankfort or lexington id be happy to show you around

We're leaving Chicago bright and early Monday morning with the hope of hitting a distillery pretty much as soon as we hit town (we'll see). Going to do 2 more the following day. Heading back to Chicago on Wednesday afternoon with a stop over in some National Park.

I believe Buffalo Trace made the final cut so I think we'll be in Frankfort. I think Heaven Hill and Makers were the other ones we had our eye on.
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby arablue on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 pm

heaven hill distillery is better than makers'. if you hit that and buffalo youre in for a good day'without much driving
andy from kentucky
arablue
mencken
mencken

Postby offal on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:54 am

Just found out the other day that The University of Louisville's Special Collections has started a Louisville Underground Music Archive, and it appears to be off to a great start.

I am beyond stoked for this.

https://www.facebook.com/LUMAproject
offal
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby William_Benton on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:30 pm

This is a good thing, good and sincere people.

I plan on emptying out my younger brother's basement of the relevant items upon my next visit.
"You must be willing to risk everything to really express it all."
-John Cassavetes

of Cat Casual and the Holy Midnight
and Cat Casual and the Ordinary Bones
and now Cat Casual and the Final Word
http://www.facebook.com/catcasual
William_Benton
godot
godot

Postby John W. on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:15 pm

Hey guys - got my guitars stolen last night. Jerks kicked in my front door and took:

- '98 Gibson Les Paul Standard cherry sunburst w/ case (serial #90558319)
- Mexican Fender Squire Jazz Bass, black (serial ‪#‎MN3120098‬)
- Panoramic Italian electric guitar (old smiley face painted on the case w/ liquid paper)
- iPad, first generation (still searching for serial number)

Also, any recommendations for alarm systems where I don't get roped into a 3-year contract would be appreciated. Thanks.
John W.

Postby ben on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:28 pm

Hey John. So sorry to hear about your guitars. If you're looking for a local alarm company you should check out Alarm-1 Protective Services. Brain Cronin, who also owns Goldsmith recording studios owns Alarm-1. Their number is (502) 425-4700.
ben
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby John W. on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Thanks, Ben.
John W.

Postby 1973Human on Tue May 13, 2014 5:58 am

Currently trying to negotiate the unbelievably obstructive US immigration policy to move to Louisville. If anybody hears of any graphic design jobs I'd really appreciate a heads up.
1973Human
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby John W. on Tue May 13, 2014 8:50 am

1973Human wrote:Currently trying to negotiate the unbelievably obstructive US immigration policy to move to Louisville. If anybody hears of any graphic design jobs I'd really appreciate a heads up.

Some design jobs get posted here from time to time...

https://www.louisvilleadfed.org/Job-Shop.aspx
John W.

Postby 1973Human on Tue May 13, 2014 9:15 am

That's a great tip - thank you so much!
1973Human
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby 1973Human on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:58 am

I'm going to be in town from 24th August until 4th September. Tell me about any shows going on...

Also, always interested in recommendations for places to eat.
1973Human
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby MattMaxVan on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:18 am

I don't have much to add, but wanted to say for other tourists- I've been to multiple cities in The USA, and Louisville is beyond. Beter than Asheville, Tucson, Philadelphia, Indianapolis or Baltimore. If it weren't 9- 10 hours away, and y'know, jobs, I'd be there often. As it stands, just done a couple of long weekends- great food, great music, great weather, great in every way that matters to me. Hell, I even enjoyed the tourist trap crap- from the Slugger museum to seeing Col. Sanders' grave- y'all have a wonderful city!
JAFO
MattMaxVan
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

Postby ben on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:48 am

For shows I recommend Zanzabar, The New Vintage, Headliners and Dreamland.

Too broke to eat out much, but here is what I recommend, though there are a lot of great places in town I have yet to try: Eiderdown, El Camino, The Brewery on Baxter (bad name, good chef), Holy Grale. Palermo, Seviche, Paplinos pizza.

For beer there is apocalypse brews, new albanian, cumberland brews and against the grain. bluegrass brewing company is kinda shitty.

Sunergoes is good for coffee, but they are owned by weird tattooed southern baptists, so be aware of what you are patronizing. Heine Brothers has good coffee as well without any religious affiliation.

Guestroom records, Matt Anthony's record shop and Fat Rabbit are all good for vinyl.

I haven't been since ownership changed, but Guitar Emporium used to be great for nice, but overpriced guitars. I assume it's probably the same.
ben
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby Tommy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 pm

ben wrote:Too broke to eat out much, but here is what I recommend, though there are a lot of great places in town I have yet to try: Holy Grale.

Everyone reading this and going to Louisville: go to Holy Grale! Hell, go a couple of times while you're in town. One of (if not the) best beer bars I've ever been to. Food was excellent too.
Tommy

Postby 1973Human on Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:17 am

Thanks all! This will be my third time in Lousiville and Holy Grale is definitely one of my favourites. I'm not really a drinker but their range of soft drinks was ace and the food was spectacular. I know they've expanded since last year too. I'd definitely like to try Eiderdown - is that the one owned by the Hammerheads people? I LOVED Hammerheads.

Any specific shows going on? I always enjoy checking out the local bands while I'm there.

Louisville is my favourite place on earth.
1973Human
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby ben on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:41 am

1973Human wrote:Thanks all! This will be my third time in Lousiville and Holy Grale is definitely one of my favourites. I'm not really a drinker but their range of soft drinks was ace and the food was spectacular. I know they've expanded since last year too. I'd definitely like to try Eiderdown - is that the one owned by the Hammerheads people? I LOVED Hammerheads.

Any specific shows going on? I always enjoy checking out the local bands while I'm there.

Louisville is my favourite place on earth.

Eiderdown is owned by the same folks that own the Nachbar. It has no affiliation with Hammerheads as far as I know.

Those Hammerheads guys do have two other restaurants in town though. There's one called Game where they serve burgers made of exotic animals. and there dis one called Loop 22. I've not eaten at either of them. Hammerheads was great the one time I was actually able to buy food from them. The other 3 times I tried to go there it was a disorganized mess and I was unable to get service. I've stopped trying to eat there because of it.
ben
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

Postby wcg on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:33 pm

1973Human wrote:Any specific shows going on? I always enjoy checking out the local bands while I'm there.

Hello, these are the only two shows I know about during that time:

http://dreamlandislouisville.org/2014/07/28/endless-boogie-and-jaye-jayle-friday-august-29th/

Also at Dreamland: Monday, September 1st – Labor Day Party with Sir Richard Bishop, Tashi Dorji, and Pete Fosco. More info TBA.

If you're into the macabre, Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft is currently showing a cool exhibit entitled Second Life.

21C is across the street from KMAC and also worth your time.
wcg
president bartlett
president bartlett

Postby ben on Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Not sure if it's your cup of tea, but I think guided by voices are playing in town while you're here too.
ben
osama bin laden
osama bin laden

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion