7%
not crap
81%
it all depends on whether jarboe is on the record
12%

Total votes : 239

Re: band: swans

Postby Anarchy 2010 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:48 am

This band is fucking awesome. Cop is one of the greatest rock records ever recorded.
Anarchy 2010
jock
jock

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Hmmm. Very weird. Some time ago, Grimm posted on Facebook that she confronted Gira's ex-wife Siobhan, to whom he was married at the time of the alleged incident, about the supposed rape. Grimm claimed that Siobhan was concerned about her daughter's safety. Archived here:

http://i.imgur.com/DNaTppq.jpg?1

But afterwards, Siobhan released a very public statement saying that the rape allegation against Gira is false, that Grimm revealed the news in a very different manner, and that the whole thing is bullshit. Someone posted Siobhan's statement on an earlier page in this thread, so I needn't reiterate it.

Grimm then deleted her Facebook post about the interaction w/Siobhan and the whole "daughter" thing. Presumably after Siobhan made her statement. Although it's still archived. Why would she delete this post if she stands by her version of events?

I don't know what this "proves," probably nothing. But, more than ever, the situation is seeming like he said/she said. Kind of wobbly. Of course, these developments are a lot less newsworthy to the music press than the initial rape allegations.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby harpseal2 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:13 pm

One thing I really like about this whole affair is that rather than try and "prove" that Larkin was lying, they instead try character assassination and say that she's "mentally ill", a "whore", etc. It's a really mature way to deal with your problems, call them names. Really gives their shit defence credibility.

Marsupialized wrote:These are some seriously stunted ass adults, Christ almighty.
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby Johnny C on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:46 pm

Anarchy 2010 wrote:This band is fucking awesome. Cop is one of the greatest rock records ever recorded.

anarchy 2010... bro........
Rick Reuben wrote:None of us is the person we were supposed to be.

these estates | architects & builders | delta throats | plywood | oiseaux
Johnny C
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Otto Parts on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:32 am

Otto Parts
les nessman
les nessman

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:45 pm

FUCK YES.

This just made my morning.

Will pre-order this on Friday.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby harpseal2 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Did they even try with this album cover? It's literally To Be Kind with a shit drawing on the front. I'm surprised I can't see the baby's face on it.
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:55 am

Regardless, the album is going to slay.

This cover rules, too.

Stoked to black out to this album this summer.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Joelk on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:43 am

^ This. These recent albums are phenomenal.
Joelk
adjutant
adjutant

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:48 am

I'm still super on the fence about seeing them again, but Okkyung Lee is opening for them in Chicago, and damn, that'd be pretty awesome to see her at Lincoln Hall.
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

KJ/HM/MH/DB

"I'm not in the Kiss Army. But I am in the reserves, and could be called up at any time." - Warmowski
four_oclocker_2
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby J_Temperance on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:56 am

Preordered The Glowing Man, still feel kinda icky about the whole "admitting to sexual violence" thing, though.
J_Temperance
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:59 am

Pre-ordered.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Otto Parts on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:25 am

Bump.

New album (CD/DVD version) arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm about halfway through it right now. Third song on disc 1 is great, has some keyboards in it that hearken back to the mid-80s Greed/Holy Money period. Fourth song on disc 1 starts with acoustic guitar, almost ballad-y. Not radically different from the previous couple albums, but not identical to them either. So far I like it a lot.
Otto Parts
les nessman
les nessman

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:40 am

Otto Parts wrote:Bump.

New album (CD/DVD version) arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm about halfway through it right now. Third song on disc 1 is great, has some keyboards in it that hearken back to the mid-80s Greed/Holy Money period. Fourth song on disc 1 starts with acoustic guitar, almost ballad-y. Not radically different from the previous couple albums, but not identical to them either. So far I like it a lot.

Have been marinating in this music for about a month or so now. I'd say that's a pretty fair and accurate assessment. Digested next to one another, the last three albums almost seem like something of a trilogy.

Standouts for me on the new one are the opening "Cloud of Forgetting" (which personally reminds me more of one of those epic tunes from Soundtracks for the Blind than anything from Greed) and the full-on rock of the title track.
OrthodoxEaster

Postby Otto Parts on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:48 am

OrthodoxEaster wrote:
Otto Parts wrote:Bump.

Have been marinating in this music for about a month or so now. I'd say that's a pretty fair and accurate assessment. Digested next to one another, the last three albums almost seem like something of a trilogy.

Standouts for me on the new one are the opening "Cloud of Forgetting" (which personally reminds me more of one of those epic tunes from Soundtracks for the Blind than anything from Greed) and the full-on rock of the title track.

I have finished listening to it now & am playing it again. You are correct about "Cloud of Forgetting." Epic. "Frankie M" (the set opener from the last tour) benefits greatly from the addition of backing vocals. The title track is the most rock & roll thing Swans have ever done (it was performed on tour as "Black Hole Man" with different lyrics) and the final song is just gorgeous. This is supposed to be the final release by the current configuration of Swans - it'll be very interesting to see what MG comes up with next.
Otto Parts
les nessman
les nessman

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:11 pm

The Glowing Man is great. I bought it on cd at midnight the morning it came out and have been listening to it ever since.

I was going to type out some standout tracks, but I realized as I was typing I mentioned every song on the record.

"Cloud of Unknowing" is great

Excited to receive my record in the mail.

Think I'll be seeing these guys in September.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby m3kcomp on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:24 am

I'm kind of glad this "version" of the band is going to disband after this tour. I can't remember tiring of a lineup that's as good as they are and has put out the quality of music they have until now. It just feels like too much honestly. I haven't heard the new record, but it started feeling like that after the To Be Kind tour.

Not sure if it's the rape thing or perhaps Gira's pretension...but I've sort of had my fill. Same thing happened with David Thomas for me, I still love the guy and Ubu but I'd had enough. I'll still give the new album a listen but doubt it's going to make me want them to keep going and going. This is the longest a single lineup of the band has lasted, right?
m3kcomp
staple singers
staple singers

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:43 am

The Glowing Man is great. Best (as well as best sounding) record this incarnation of the band has done.
P.S. Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:47 am

m3kcomp wrote:This is the longest a single lineup of the band has lasted, right?

Yes. I can't remember any of the other lineups lasting for longer than one album and perhaps a year of touring. Two years tops, probably less.
OrthodoxEaster

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap