96%

Total votes : 218

Band : Unwound

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Fri May 28, 2004 10:09 am

<3
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby b on Fri May 28, 2004 4:31 pm

Soooooooooooo Not Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

b
b
head intern
head intern

Postby fargokamikaze on Mon May 31, 2004 3:54 pm

I really liked them when I first heard them, and I bought Repetition. But that's the only album of theirs that I really like. I got the Future of What, and it kinda sucks. Then I saw them live, and it was very dissapointing. But maybe it was because it was 1AM at Emo's in Austin during SXSW and the Lone Star was making me sleepy.

A chick drummer is always a turn on, though.
fargokamikaze
cardinal
cardinal

Postby Seaside Lounge on Mon May 31, 2004 11:59 pm

fargokamikaze wrote:A chick drummer is always a turn on, though.

Actually I hear that when they were putting the band together they checked out a few different drummers. Now of course the chick wasn't as good but they went with her anyway because they liked the way her breasts bounced while she played.

-chas
Seaside Lounge
carter family
carter family

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:49 am

LOL. i wonder if that's true, that they did it based on breasts rather than personality or creativity? one thing i'd say about her is that she's a better drummer than maybe 99% of the guy drummers i've heard. a stereotype that i hold that's been verified true on many occasions is that female drummers are not always the most precise, though some are, but they tend to be a lot more creative in their composition. she's certainly in that category as far as i'm concerned. i can't think of too many drummers i'd rather be in a band with than her.
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby Angry_Dragon on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:15 am

I loved those records. Live they were very boring. But man, those records.
Better yet, eat the placenta!!!
Angry_Dragon
18th Amendment

Location: Baltimore, Where Murderous Football Players Own Resturaunts

Postby placeholder on Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:27 am

NOT CRAP. Not at all. The first time I ever heard Unwound was in 1995, when they and Polvo opened for Sonic Youth. Unwound blew the other bands off the stage, and I was made an instant fan. Great band.
placeholder
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby horsewhip on Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:32 pm

Not Crap, and are sorely missed.
horsewhip
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:18 pm

Everything up to "leaves turn inside you" was brilliant. I dunno what they were thinking with that. Most of my friends into shoe-gaze and their G.Q. looks loved that one and said it was way better than the "punk crap" they did before. I just thought it was very boring and repetitive. I guess they also got some MTV airplay, and most of these shoe-gaze MBV fanatics I know only like stuff that is legitimized by David Kendoll or whatever phony is promoting fake alternative music on MTV these days. (Honestly, these are friends of mine, despite how much I am bagging on their asses).

I also notice they colored their hair and got their cool alternative looks in order for that last album. Another turn off for me. Really, I don't care, but I wish they spent more time on the music than their looks...

As far as punk crap, they were way more art rock. The "space is the place" reference is such a nod to Sun Ra. But you know, if music isn't from 1991+, most alt hipsters wouldn't know about it. After all, you might here a "cheesy" organ solo on a Sun Ra album. Ewwww... jazz...

Use a little distortion and have a grungy lo-fi recording, and it's "punk crap" despite how interesting and compelling the music is. If you make a sterile recording and color your hair, suddenly you're the cat's meow. Most people don't understand music, so they judge it based on other factors. The style, attitude, or whatever. Their last album was crap!!! Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe writing simple songs that drone on and on is better than complicated, well thought out songs (almost compositions). Isn't that sort of what shoe-gaze is all about? Posturing, fashion, and playing the same droney boring stuff over and over with lots of effects... then acting arrogant and thinking you're better than the "masses", when really that shoe gaze stuff has less musicianship than a 4th grade orchestra.

Repitition is great. The future of what is great. New Plastic ideas is great. Civilization is OK, but it was the beggining of the end...

I don't get why anyone would say The Future Of What is crap. That's the one with Natural Disasters, non? GREAT!!! One of my faves.

I don't miss them. Their last album kind of made me feel it was time for them to go. I'm assuming they broke up.

Sara Lund is an above average drummer. Yes, she is better than many male drummers out there. She's no Billy Cobham, but she is creative and plays well... I don't think they got her because of her bosoms. She's not that hot. Kinda plain, but that was what was cool about Unwound. They didn't have the rock star looks until the last album. I'm almost glad they broke up. That last one I listened to 2 times, and it was really long, boring, and the recording was too sterile for Unwound. Those Steve Fisk recordings with the bass making the snare rattle were so cool.

Those classic Unwound albums are the best thing to listen to on a rainy day.
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Postby Tree on Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:12 pm

I was just listening to Leaves on the way home from work and was thinking, "I wonder if they've done a Crap/Not Crap on Unwound." I think Leaves is a fine album, as are the rest.

NOT CRAP
Tree
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Jeremy B on Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 pm

Unwound are probably one of my all-time favorite bands. They have not made one bad album. "Leaves Turn Inside You" is an amazing fucking album, it's just as good as "New Plastic Ideas." To be honest, I don't know a lot of people who like Unwound, my girlfriend only likes certain parts of "Repetition," most everybody else I know has no real opinion. Anyway, not to ramble but Unwound, in my opinion, was one of a handful of bands who were both wildly original and transcended any sort of "scene." Certainly one of the least "Shoe-Gazing" bands I've heard, but what do I know, I read GQ at the doctor's office.
-jeremy
Jeremy B
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby dan fouts on Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:23 pm

"leaves turn inside you" hasn't really aged as well as their other albums in my opinion. There was a time when I really liked a lot about this album, but I find myself enjoying repitition much more these days. I even now prefer their self titled album to "leaves."

Needless to say I really enjoy this band. TMH summed up my feelings about the drummer; definetely one of my favorites and I think Justin trosper is a much overlooked guitar player. Very distinctive and solid as far as playing within the band is concerned.

Great band, but as bruce said, I don't miss them.
dan fouts
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby MattPeterson on Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:40 am

I love Unwound. Not Crap.

I think it was mentioned somewhere else on this board, but I think because they were the kind of band they were, tucked up in the Pacific Northwest, on KRS, they didn't get as "big" as they would've been, perhaps had they been based in Chicago.

There were supposed to play NYC on 9/11, and I don't think ever came back.

I also am not really a fan of "Leaves...". Seemed kind of boring to me, and didn't play on their strengths. What are these dudes up to now?

That "You're So Boring" song on the first album gets me every time.
MattPeterson
secretary of state
secretary of state

Postby gio on Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:28 am

Wow, 23 to nil!

I'll gladly make it 24.
gio
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Wernehm_Zackariaah on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:53 am

Yeah... Their first album didn't have Sara on drums. It was some other guy. He wasn't as good. The first album is very punk rock and I like it. I like "The Future of What" the best by far. "Repetition" is a close second (maybe not so far then...) At that point, they had a fair amount of art-rock-ness that made their sound compelling and interesting... "leaves" was dry and boring. It's like feeding a dog filet mignon, and then giving the poor pooch some dry kibble... They really stopped taking risks... they started making abstraktions instead of konkretions...

canada dry.
Wernehm_Zackariaah
ollie
ollie

Postby wiggins on Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:37 am

I got into Unwound all at once and bought "Future of What," "Repitition," and "Leaves" all at once and I give all of them a 10 1/2. I can definetly see where fans of theirs from earlier on were dissappointed with "Leaves" but from someone looking at their entire career as a whole with no bias, its one fucking awesome album.

I can't agree with all of the praise for the drummer though. On record I imagine someone very stiff-armed (or the exact opposite, very limp-wristed) and sloppy, but I'll definetly agree that she more than makes up for the lack of technique in creativity.

Not Crap by any means, WF = 0
wiggins
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Mr. Chimp on Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:22 pm

Fake Train and New Plastic Ideas are fantastic records. The Future of What, Challenge for... and Unwound did not do so much for me, good songs, but a touch light in construction. Was re-invigorated by Repetition, but I think that Leaves Turn Inside You is an incredible work. Not a bad track on it.

Really truly not crap, slight waffles.
Mr. Chimp

Postby Christopher_Dragon on Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:45 pm

I decided to play The Future of What for a friend last night and man is that record awesome.
I hadn't listened to Unwound in a couple years.
I ended up listening to the record twice today at work.
Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:Shin guards for all!
Christopher_Dragon
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Sebastian J. on Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:20 pm

absolutely not crap. This was a hell-out of a band !
Sebastian J.

Postby danielruder on Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:27 pm

definitely not crap
i spent the better part of a year waking up to the first track on "leaves turn inside you"
danielruder
charlie brown
charlie brown

Next

Return to Crap / Not Crap