6%
not crap
81%
it all depends on whether jarboe is on the record
12%

Total votes : 236

Re: band: swans

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:47 am

thelonelymastodronus wrote:The Glowing Man is great. Best (as well as best sounding) record this incarnation of the band has done.

i like this album all right, but its not really saying anything new that Seer/TBK didnt already. maybe i just need more time with it.

m3kcomp wrote:I'm kind of glad this "version" of the band is going to disband after this tour. I can't remember tiring of a lineup that's as good as they are and has put out the quality of music they have until now. It just feels like too much honestly. I haven't heard the new record, but it started feeling like that after the To Be Kind tour.

Not sure if it's the rape thing or perhaps Gira's pretension...but I've sort of had my fill. Same thing happened with David Thomas for me, I still love the guy and Ubu but I'd had enough. I'll still give the new album a listen but doubt it's going to make me want them to keep going and going. This is the longest a single lineup of the band has lasted, right?

also fully agree with all of this
cerebralheadtrip
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Major on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:28 pm

I had the record in my hand this weekend until the thought of sitting through a triple album seemed overwhelming. Also, I find it hard to imagine it being much different from the last 2.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:53 pm

its definitely the same bag of tricks. that said, i think theres a lot to like on it and as a whole probably prefer it to To Be Kind.
cerebralheadtrip
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:01 pm

The Glowing Man is now my favorite SWANS album after multiple listens and having gone through multiple mindsets/approached it from all different angles.

Of the trilogy, The Seer is great, To Be Kind is a masterpiece, and The Glowing Man is a full-blown transcendental milestone and the best cap off I have ever heard from any band.

It's weird mixture of really intimate, surprisingly beautiful songs and all of the my favorite masturbatory, climbing, swollen fucking mess of sounds that excited me from the two previous albums and little else.

I guess the best way to describe how I feel about it is that this is like SWANS' Lick My Decals Off, Baby.

You'd be doing yourself a grave injustice by passing up this record. It makes Godspeed You! Black Emperor and all other post-rock stuff sound like Diet Coke.

Okkyung Lee's contribution to "The Cloud of Unknowing" is fucking righteous as well.

Best album and stoked they ended on such a high note. Even more stoked to see them in LA come September.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby LizardPod on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:58 pm

Just got The Glowing Man on vinyl and oh my god is it fucking amazing. Surpassed my expectations, and they were pretty high. Best record out of the trilogy.
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:04 am

My Father is a great album in its own right, especially coming off the hiatus. But I think its clear the Seer signaled a different more expansive direction that they have been tapping into since.

I really like the inclusion of female backing vocals on this one as well and adds some nice lightness where its greatly needed. The little "bah bah bams" on Frankie M, the sing-along on Finally Peace, etc.
cerebralheadtrip
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Boombats on Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:31 am

givemenoughrope wrote:
AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Best album and stoked they ended on such a high note.

Ended? Whadyamean?

Gira announced this would be the end of the current line-up of Swans.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:21 pm

LizardPod wrote:Just got The Glowing Man on vinyl and oh my god is it fucking amazing. Surpassed my expectations, and they were pretty high. Best record out of the trilogy.

On your copy of the Glowing Man, does the very last song ("Finally Peace") cut out early?

Mine cuts out about 10 seconds before it's supposed to end.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:35 pm

^yes, seems to be all copies. dont know if they simply ran out space and decided to roll with it or what.
cerebralheadtrip
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby LizardPod on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:13 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:
LizardPod wrote:Just got The Glowing Man on vinyl and oh my god is it fucking amazing. Surpassed my expectations, and they were pretty high. Best record out of the trilogy.

On your copy of the Glowing Man, does the very last song ("Finally Peace") cut out early?

Mine cuts out about 10 seconds before it's supposed to end.

Yeah, same here. I agree with cerebralheadtrip. Dunno if it's a mistake, or if they wanted to do something like The Beatles cutting off "She's So Heavy." I'm going with the mistake.
LizardPod
general studio assistant
general studio assistant

Postby Wood Goblin on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:50 pm

It's fucked up how excited people are about this Swans record. There's been a credible accusation of rape against Gira. Getting excited about a new Swans record is like getting excited about new Bill Cosby material.

You're downloading this illegally, right?

You're not actually going to buy tickets to see this guy live, right?
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby harpseal2 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:33 pm

Wood Goblin wrote:It's fucked up how excited people are about this Swans record. There's been a credible accusation of rape against Gira. Getting excited about a new Swans record is like getting excited about new Bill Cosby material.

You're downloading this illegally, right?

You're not actually going to buy tickets to see this guy live, right?

There's no conviction or evidence he actually did anything so why would that stop anyone?

It's been months since the announcement and literally nothing has come of it.
scarnon
harpseal2
a² + b² = c²
a² + b² = c²

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:48 pm

Yes, that's how these things work.

Hell, he practically admitted to the scenario himself and still nothing came out of it. And that's ignoring the fact that he dropped her from Young God Records and had an appallingly accusatory "response" letter as his initial reaction to her accusation, y'know, the one based around the situation he admitted himself happened. Status quo, etc.

And still nothing has come of it, yes,

Instead, he released another album about the inherent failings of modern masculinity, something he's based his entire artistic career out of critiquing. Something he knows better than anyone else alive.

It's almost as if being accused of rape isn't the slightest hindrance on a male artist's career.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby rayword45 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:06 pm

It is when it involves children.

This is a DISTURBINGLY quick forgiveness though.
rayword45
wayne thiebaud
wayne thiebaud

Postby n.c. on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:08 pm

i aint forgiven shit.

gira is a pretentious ass.

he also makes good records. liking the records doesn't make me complicit in his actions. there are a whole lot of blues singers i listen to who killed people and shit. not to mention all the other sordid things that the individual players in my record collection have done that i don't know about.

i was just watching an episode of parks and recreation featuring rob lowe. didn't he have sex with an underage girl or something? am i a statutory rapist by association?

the rape accusation does make me feel weird about enjoying these records. but i do enjoy them.
numberthirty wrote:No one is giving Frankenstein's Monster a cup of booze just because they have shifted from a CD burner to an interface and a computer.
n.c.
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby sulfur)addict on Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:59 pm

did you pay for them though?

I'm just saying, I like being on the side of "I didn't knowingly give a sexual offender money so I don't have to do any mental gymnastics."

Gira is a great artist, sure, but he's a massive hypocrite. He embodies the very thing he's made a livelihood railing against. I cannot comprehend engaging with his work right now, and I don't know how he continues to make it. Unless he still thinks public castration is a good idea?

If Gira cut off his dick publicly, I'd buy the new album, sure. That's not even my position; it's his.

You can and should enjoy whatever you enjoy, hell Nico is one of my absolute favorite artists and she was a train wreck. But I would think twice before I pay an artist who has done horrific harm to someone without making amends.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby OrthodoxEaster on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:57 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:I'm just saying, I like being on the side of "I didn't knowingly give a sexual offender money so I don't have to do any mental gymnastics."... You can and should enjoy whatever you enjoy, hell Nico is one of my absolute favorite artists and she was a train wreck. But I would think twice before I pay an artist who has done horrific harm to someone without making amends.

I hear you. But I guess the first point I should make is that I don't think there's been any kind of slam-dunk indictment against Gira. Sure, that doesn't always happen. But not everyone has taken this at face value. People can presume what they please but at this point, I'd say it's very much a case of he said/she said. I don't see how anyone can be sure of anything. Perhaps that's why it sort of dissipated? He claims it was consensual; she says it was not. There are people close to Grimm who support her; others who have said she's mentally unbalanced (not that this means much) and that she has made very similar false accusations against other friends who have wronged her artistically in the past (this holds some water, I'd say). Make of that what you will.

In terms of dropping her from the label, that's not true. Young God dropped all of its artists who were not Gira, and that happened in one swoop. At least if I remember the press announcement correctly. Something about it being impossible to get Swans happening again while worrying about other acts. Everyone got the boot in 2009, Grimm was not singled out.

I mean, sure, I get why you might feel icky. The whole thing stinks. That said, if you can listen to Burzum, GG Allin, or Drunks w/Guns, these people are a lot more morally reprehensible than Gira. (I'm only a fan of one of the above, for the record, but that has nothing to do w/anything ethical. Hell, 9353 is one of my favorite bands and, in some sort of paranoid rage, the singer is reputed to have killed his own dogs when the police raided his squat. But who cares? The records are great. People are fucked up, great artists included.)

Nico was a piece of work. Certainly the shit she put her son thru was pretty wrenching, selfish, and sadistic. But it doesn't really lessen my enjoyment of her music, either. Not one bit. I'm just glad she wasn't my mum.
OrthodoxEaster
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:18 am

Fuck, "The Cloud of Unknowing" is such a great song.

Pumped that's not the track that ends early on the record.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby Mama Clortho on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:52 am

sulfur)addict wrote:Gira is a great artist, sure, but he's a massive hypocrite. He embodies the very thing he's made a livelihood railing against.

Yes.

If Gira cut off his dick publicly, I'd buy the new album, sure. That's not even my position; it's his.

Would buy the Cult of Gira Skoptsy: A Greater Seal fundraising DVD prior to the release even.
Mama Clortho
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Jodi S. on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:48 pm

I'm making this comment separate from the whole Gira/Grimm thing because that is its own situation.

sulfur)addict wrote:It's almost as if being accused of rape isn't the slightest hindrance on a male artist's career.

Almost? Almost?

There's no almost about it.

Male artists can do what they want to women and their careers continue on, and even thrive.

Women can call those male artists out and their careers suffer, or end. Then they get branded "problematic" or "crazy".
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap