Band : Megadeth

Crap
44%
Not Crap
56%

Total votes : 84

Re: band : Megadeth

Postby aldofarian on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:33 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Anthrax are terrible songwriters. Technique is about all they've got.

Anthrax are a band. Ian, Benante and Bello/Lilker are/were a decent combo. Benante has skills but the other 2 (in whichever form) are not technicians. They can write though. They have over time written great riffs and some good songs. They've always struggled to find a vocalist to compliment them, either in vocal style (belladonna/turner/the other bloke) or rational behaviour (milano).

There are so many reasons Megadeth suck, I cannot be bothered to start. As Bernardo and Scott pointed out, if technique is anything to be admired, we would be contributing to a Malmsteen forum.
Last edited by aldofarian on Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mort pété
aldofarian
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby BobbyPeru on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:41 am

lebkuchen wrote:Menza, Ellefson and Friedman playing Five Magics during setup or soundcheck or whatever this is.
A good one for all the fanboys on this board:

phpBB [media]

Man, they can play. Also I feel old now.

That was badass... thanks for posting. I think it's safe to say Friedman era Megadeth was definitely the most technically proficient. And Rust in Peace is one of the best big 4 records.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby Andy on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:12 am

BobbyPeru wrote: And Rust in Peace is one of the best big 4 records.

I'll even say that "Holy Wars / The Punishment Due" is the best thing any of the big 4 recorded.
Andy
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Anthony Flack on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 pm

aldofarian wrote:Anthrax are a band. Ian, Benante and Bello/Lilker are/were a decent combo. Benante has skills but the other 2 (in whichever form) are not technicians. They can write though. They have over time written great riffs and some good songs. They've always struggled to find a vocalist to compliment them, either in vocal style (belladonna/turner/the other bloke) or rational behaviour (milano).

They wrote the occasional good riff, but that's just the beginnings of songwriting. There's no sense of structure or progression, just a bunch of riffs, some good, some crap, awkwardly sandwiched together. Lyrics read like a teenager's debating speech and christ they just go on and on. Fifteen hundred words of clunky prose detailing how they feel about some social issue. Joey Belladonna just dreadful.

They got riffs, they got the drummer, but I don't think it ever really came together. I agree that S.O.D. worked better as a coherent whole than anything Anthrax ever did, perhaps because they weren't straining so goddamn hard.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Bernardo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Anthony Flack wrote:They wrote the occasional good riff, but that's just the beginnings of songwriting. There's no sense of structure or progression, just a bunch of riffs, some good, some crap, awkwardly sandwiched together.

That's a fair description of a lot of metal bands, actually.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby mt on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 am

I like Rust in Peace but never really listen to it anymore.

The Big Four ranked:

1. Metallica
2. Slayer
3. Anthrax
4. Megadeth

Haven't really listened to an album any of them put out past the early 90s
mt
the white ho
the white ho

Postby TheMilford on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:52 am

After seeing that footage of Charlie playing with James and Co. I have concluded that a version of Metallica with Charlie on skins and Mustaine on lead should happen.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby projectMalamute on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:10 am

Megadeth are not crap, but I hardly ever listen to them. The first album is genuinely weird and mean and awesome, Rust in Peace is a deservedly revered prog-thrash milestone. SFSGSW and PSBWB are both pretty uneven. Near as I can tell after RIP they went to total shit. I do not care enough to go looking for gems in there.

They were far and away the weakest band at Clash of the Titans(Alice In Chains don't count). All the baroque curliecues and gnat notes just made them sound dainty compared to Slayer and Anthrax. The rank a couple posts above is correct.

One of the jobs I have right now is playing bass in a Neil Diamond tribute show. We run eight seperate monitor mixes, so I get to spend a bunch of time repeating the Peace Sells intro every sound check.
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby TheMilford on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 am

projectMalamute wrote:Megadeth are not crap, but I hardly ever listen to them. The first album is genuinely weird and mean and awesome, Rust in Peace is a deservedly revered prog-thrash milestone. SFSGSW and PSBWB are both pretty uneven. Near as I can tell after RIP they went to total shit. I do not care enough to go looking for gems in there.

They were far and away the weakest band at Clash of the Titans(Alice In Chains don't count). All the baroque curliecues and gnat notes just made them sound dainty compared to Slayer and Anthrax. The rank a couple posts above is correct.

One of the jobs I have right now is playing bass in a Neil Diamond tribute show. We run eight seperate monitor mixes, so I get to spend a bunch of time repeating the Peace Sells intro every sound check.

PSBWB is a near-perfect metal album from top to bottom. And is considered as much by the community. I would say the 1st is the uneven one.

But yeah, pretty much shit after RIP.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby projectMalamute on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:35 am

The first is definitely uneven. It's just a really unique, fucked up record. It's certainly not 'perfect'.

I like it a lot.
Last edited by projectMalamute on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute

Postby projectMalamute on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:48 am

also: current drummer Shawn Drover did a clinic at a friend's music store about a year ago. He was easy to work with, affable, and generous with his time. Seemed like a genuinely good dude, and can really play the drums.
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute

Postby prowler on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:17 pm

not a fan of him in Megadeth tho, i think the transition to "melodic metal" they've done in the past 10 years is due as much to Drover as to the lead guitarists. neither of them plays as hard and rough as Menza/Friedman - i guess that's a conscious decision on Dave's part and it's a shitty one
prowler
took picture of naked guy

Postby projectMalamute on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm pretty sure Megadeth's direction would be identical no matter who was playing lead guitar, bass, or drums. Those guys just work there, like any other decent paying job with an asshole republican boss.

Did you know that Vinnie Colaiuta is the drummer on a Megadeth album? I only learned this recently and it blew my mind a little bit.
youtube
web site

Endeavor to persevere.
projectMalamute

Postby prowler on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:27 am

yeah, that was supposed to be a Mustaine solo album but the label made him call it Megadeth and then he reformed the band. The System Has Failed is probably their best album post-Youthanasia for me, fwiw
prowler

Postby matthew on Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:54 pm

Well, this is just awesome. 3 hours of Megadeth from the 80's to the 90's:

phpBB [media]
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby a leg plaster on Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:28 pm

http://megadethbootcamp.com/
WHAT IS MEGADETH BOOT CAMP?
Megadeth Boot Camp is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the ultimate Droogie. The epic weekend will take place on Dave Mustaine's private estate in Southern California. Think of it as the summer camp of your metal dreams!

MEGADETH WORKSHOPS WILL RANGE FROM:

Fireside stories from the road with the band
Intimate acoustic performance from Megadeth
Jam session and live streaming of Symphony of Destruction
Drum, guitar and bass lessons, tips and tricks
Wine tastings excursion with Dave
Even metal trivia to challenge the depths of your music appreciation
Check out the full experiences of what your Boot Camp will entail. Megadeth Boot Camp is a chance of a lifetime to celebrate all that is Megadeth.

members of Megadeth with fans
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:56 pm

I never gave them a chance at all back in the day. I always thought the name was dumb and just kind of lumped them in as a B-level Metallica. I know I've heard them but I've never owned an album or sat down and listened to them.

I couldn't sleep last night and had the TV on while I was doing some other stuff. They were the musical guest on Seth Myers. I watched and actually thought it was really good. I know it's new crap and they're way past their prime and it's probably not the good lineup or whatever but I liked it enough to want to check them out for real. What is the good album(s)?
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:12 pm

Have a go on Peace Sells... and Rust In Peace. Original versions, not the remastered shit.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mrcancelled on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:51 pm

I have a real soft spot for Countdown to Extinction. My brother gave me the CD when I was maybe eight years old. I remember listening to it at Disney World and now I kind of associate that album with being in Disney World. I'm sure that's what Mustaine had in mind.
mrcancelled
dave "devilfish" ulliot
dave "devilfish" ulliot

Postby prowler on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:52 am

elisha wiesner wrote: I couldn't sleep last night and had the TV on while I was doing some other stuff. They were the musical guest on Seth Myers. I watched and actually thought it was really good.

just checked that out. you got lucky, Tornado of Souls has the best metal solo ever, and is probably the best blues metal song (with the blue note even heavily featured in the riff!) ...i wonder how that new track would stack up next to Tornado to a first-time listener

yeah get Rust, Sells and Countdown
prowler

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap