home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

dadness

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: dadness

Postby Dave N. on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:37 am

Luzwei wrote:Adam, she learned it by watching stupid YouTube toys opening/unboxing videos. And whenever we give her a new doll/toy, she instantly switches. And then the imitation/presentation starts LOL

It helps that has some basic English kid lessons in day care, but she's speaking sentences.

Kids are great.


Wow. Four already?

Mine is picking up all sorts of Korean words and phrases due to her K-pop obsession.
User avatar
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
 
Posts: 3446
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:03 am
Location: Austin

Re: dadness

Postby Luzwei on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:39 am

Dave N. wrote:Wow. Four already?

Mine is picking up all sorts of Korean words and phrases due to her K-pop obsession.


Indeed. She's going to school in no time.

HaHa, Davester! Didn't Trey's girl went to that phase as well!? HA! At least you have him for guidance.
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.


I Joe 4 play.
User avatar
Luzwei
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8998
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:13 am
Location: Zagreb, Hrvatska

Re: dadness

Postby the finger genius on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:53 am

Pre school park time

Image

And dinner on the deck

Image
steve wrote:...kosher sound systems.


Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
User avatar
the finger genius
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: NJ

Re: dadness

Postby Teacher's Pet on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Dinner on the deck looks fuckin' awesome. It also looks like you live in Rome or something. Very nice.

__

OK, sorry, sad topic:

A close and dear friend lost her baby this week. It died, still inside, days away from delivery.

I've never experienced anything quite like this and I am at a loss.

Obviously I am lending support in whichever ways I can think of but this is a strange and unique type of grief I've never prepared for. We were all just about to welcome this baby. And my family was psyched to have a vicarious newborn experience. This baby would have been the younger sibling of my daughter's best friend. And the mom is my partner's best friend. It's close to us. They live directly next door. Our daughters have been tight since Day One.

I'd like to know if anybody has tips or resources for coping with intrauterine death, or anything good on grieving and helping people through grief and trauma in general. I realize how people (myself 100% included) can become paralyzed by traumatic events and I know that's not helpful.

Obviously we were prepared to help out with a new baby, bring food, watch the older kid, all that shit, and that's not changed. But I'm not sure what else I need to know.

I just feel kind of stunned. And hung over.

I guess it can't hurt to remind everyone: Squeeze your loved ones tight and count your blessings.

I'm glad we have this thread. Cheers to you all.
User avatar
Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:15 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: dadness

Postby the finger genius on Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks, dinner on the deck is awesome, you should bring your family across the river some time for dinner (we're a short walk from the PATH station.)

As for dealing with the loss, we lost our first at ~22 weeks. Not as late as your friend, but it was pretty devastating. I'm not sure what advice to give, other than just do your best to be helpful and listen. There's nothing to say to make it better (at least for us, we didn't want to hear about how we would have a healthy baby someday or any other bright side subjects.) Just listen, tell them you care, you're sorry, offer to watch the kid so they can have some space to grieve if they want.

I'm sorry that your friends are going through this, it's awful. It gets better, but I remember at the time not really wanting to think about it getting better, and just wanting to be mad / sad.
steve wrote:...kosher sound systems.


Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
User avatar
the finger genius
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: NJ

Re: dadness

Postby greg on Tue May 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Here' s me mixing with the help of Lou Ellen, and Elbie.

Elbie's checking the mix from different parts of the room (standing waves cause some bumps in the response). He also insists on listening to mixes with radio commercials playing loud on a nearby boom box, since that's how most people hear records these days.

Lou's debating, then making adjustments with the outboard effects.

phpBB [media]
User avatar
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4996
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 7:26 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: dadness

Postby Janeway on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 am

we found out he moved when we stopped by for a visit and saw a sold sign on the lawn, alabama our southern belle grandma told us, and our ma felt so bad she planned our next summer vacation around his sasquatch absenteeism, god bless her. since it was her birthday while we were visiting, my older sister forgave him right away, but that was always going to happen cause he spoils her and it's the american south, they went out and had the best wild times and she came back daddy's girl gushing about how we should just enjoy the good times while we're here but i was unforgivener than clint eastwood...until we ran to the store for breakfast stuff alone together on one of the last days there and this song comes on the radio and he looks over and starts serenading me just like he used to with guns and roses and nirvana and the offspring when i was a kid and-god help me-haha i was laughing and dancing along by the chorus and we were pals again and the song was:
phpBB [media]

some night later i was falling asleep on the couch when i heard my dad come in from the party room. i pretended to be asleep cause...i don't know why, haha but i heard him say "who falls asleep to boyz in the hood" and he laughed and sat there petting my head for awhile before he got up and turned the gun violence tv off and went back to the party room. it was endearing, in that moment at least he was there for me.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
User avatar
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3892
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: here

Re: dadness

Postby travis k on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Kiddo pulled a hat trick yesterday in last game of season.
User avatar
travis k
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants
 
Posts: 1311
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:45 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: dadness

Postby jimmy spako on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:26 pm

Was having a bad day.
Baby came home and we listened to Polvo and swaydanced for a bit in my little studio/office.
Then I had to give him back and go back to work and legit mental illness, but a little perspective is better than none eh.

Happy Fathers' Day!
Salut! EA dads and grandads and dad figures and all who live dadness in whatever form.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
User avatar
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4930
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 am
Location: schnitzel circuit

Re: dadness

Postby Pasta on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:07 pm

Happy Fathers Day all you bad ass motherfucking PRF pops.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
User avatar
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:11 pm
Location: Doom Town

Re: dadness

Postby djimbe on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm sure it's been covered in all these many pages (somewhere...and I'm not too certain how to search for it), but here's the question:

how to quit the pacifier?

cold turkey? let 'em grow out of it? find some alternate fetish item?

it's getting to be a drag. She never takes it out of the house, and when the neighbor kids or the teenagers friends come by she'll stash it in a hot minute, but woe betide the person who can't find it at bedtime or when she wants to relax/nap in the afternoon. it's time to be done with it, but I'm having a hard time facilitating that.

Maybe it's me? I sucked my thumb off and on past the time I was 6 before I grew out of that habit.
djimbe
cool kid
cool kid
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 4:34 pm
Location: chicago

Re: dadness

Postby Major on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:34 pm

I took my entire family to see Iron Maiden a few weeks ago. Kids are 11 and 12, had no idea who Iron Maiden was. My wife is *mumble mumble* and hates metal. Everybody had a blast.

Fucking $80 for 2 kids shirts, though.
User avatar
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero
 
Posts: 6539
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:19 am
Location: 29.7604° N, 95.3698° W

Re: dadness

Postby Teacher's Pet on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:36 pm

djimbe wrote:how to quit the pacifier?


Invite the Bobo Fairy to your house. It's like the Tooth Fairy, but for Bobos.

She leaves a gift and voilá, you're a big kid ever after. Worked for us.
User avatar
Teacher's Pet
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:15 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: dadness

Postby djimbe on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Teacher's Pet wrote:
djimbe wrote:how to quit the pacifier?


Invite the Bobo Fairy to your house. It's like the Tooth Fairy, but for Bobos.

She leaves a gift and voilá, you're a big kid ever after. Worked for us.


ah, yes. The Blanket Fairy. Mrs. Tweezers told me about the Blanket Fairy. I typically put this kid to bed and we've read "Owen" so many times. Glad it worked for you guys though...
djimbe
cool kid
cool kid
 
Posts: 1452
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 4:34 pm
Location: chicago

Re: dadness

Postby Janeway on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 pm

do you alternate the binky with a frozen chewy ring? depending on how old it could just be a teething issue, but these chewy rings are a miracle, just pop them in the fridge and when you take the binky away and they start crying, they'll instantly take to the cold gooey bubble rings cause it's just soothing in the right baby way

Image
Image
haha just look at that thing, it looks like watermelon candy. even im getting hungry for it for dinner.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
User avatar
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
 
Posts: 3892
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: here

Re: dadness

Postby rappard on Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:09 am

djimbe wrote:I'm sure it's been covered in all these many pages (somewhere...and I'm not too certain how to search for it), but here's the question:

how to quit the pacifier?

cold turkey?

[snip]

We went cold turkey: our youngest was firmly attached to her pacifier, but one day she fell and one or two of her front teeth were wobbly. So the doc told us to quit stat, and I don't remember it being a big deal. IIRC she was around three years old then.
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
User avatar
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:33 am
Location: Dutchland

Re: dadness

Postby the finger genius on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:41 am

Home with the younger kid yesterday and today (hand foot and mouth sucks) and we spent some time reading.

phpBB [media]
steve wrote:...kosher sound systems.


Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
User avatar
the finger genius
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 10:04 pm
Location: NJ

Re: dadness

Postby Tom on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

We were at the pool last weekend. There were two little twinish boys (around 3) playing with a ball in the water with their mom. Kids got distracted like kids do in a pool and started doing something else. My 3 year old went over and started playing with it.

One of the kids started screaming. His douchebag mom went over to my 3 year old and grabbed it out of her hand and said "He was playing with that" (these are free to use balls at the pool, not theirs). My 3 year old was just like, whatever - and started doing something else. She didn't seem bothered by it and I really don't like intervening with their play unless there is a real reason to.

Well, like 5 minutes later, some little 2 year old champ just ran up grabbed it out of his hands and too off running to the sand box. Douchebag mom was two slow to catch him and the Champs parents did a real half hearted "give it back" before they just let it go.

the twinish looking kids just started freaking out, like almost going into seizures - both of them. The douchebag mom packed them up in their double wide stroller (really? a stroller for 3 year olds at the pool, it's like 30 feet to the parking lot?) and left.

I went over and gave the champs parents my contact info so we can set up some dates for our kids when they get older. I need that kid as my son-in-law.

That's my kid story for tonight. No lessons or anything, just some good old fashion schadenfreude.
User avatar
Tom
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
 
Posts: 7803
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:31 pm
Location: God's Hand

Re: dadness

Postby seanurban on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 pm

Give it up for Kyle, everyone! He makes reading look easy. His attention span surpasses mine for sure.
User avatar
seanurban
King High
 
Posts: 4685
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm

Re: dadness

Postby jimmy spako on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 am

Tom wrote:We were at the pool last weekend. There were two little twinish boys (around 3) playing with a ball in the water with their mom. Kids got distracted like kids do in a pool and started doing something else. My 3 year old went over and started playing with it.

One of the kids started screaming. His douchebag mom went over to my 3 year old and grabbed it out of her hand and said "He was playing with that" (these are free to use balls at the pool, not theirs). My 3 year old was just like, whatever - and started doing something else. She didn't seem bothered by it and I really don't like intervening with their play unless there is a real reason to.

Well, like 5 minutes later, some little 2 year old champ just ran up grabbed it out of his hands and too off running to the sand box. Douchebag mom was two slow to catch him and the Champs parents did a real half hearted "give it back" before they just let it go.

the twinish looking kids just started freaking out, like almost going into seizures - both of them. The douchebag mom packed them up in their double wide stroller (really? a stroller for 3 year olds at the pool, it's like 30 feet to the parking lot?) and left.

I went over and gave the champs parents my contact info so we can set up some dates for our kids when they get older. I need that kid as my son-in-law.

That's my kid story for tonight. No lessons or anything, just some good old fashion schadenfreude.


Big grin on my face over here, very funny.

FM Simmo recently quipped elsewhere "L'enfer, c'est les autres parents" (hell is other parents).

I just got up at six and spent the first three hours of my day with my boy, while mom got some more sleep. Hanging out in my studio/office listening to tapes and LPs and testing some gear. Good times.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
User avatar
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer
 
Posts: 4930
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 am
Location: schnitzel circuit

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], emmanuelle cunt, kaleb, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests