home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Band: The Equals

Vote and debate.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Equals?

Crap
0
No votes
Not Crap
14
100%
 
Total votes : 14

Band: The Equals

Postby GhostFace on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:47 am

Eddy Grants first band. My introduction to them was, "Michael and the Slipper Tree" and "Rub A Dub Dub", so I initially thought they were pretty stupid. But I soon realized how great the rest of their songs are. Perfect Pop/RnB. :lol:
exp(j*pi) + 1 = 0
User avatar
GhostFace
linus torvalds
linus torvalds
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:08 pm
Location: madison

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby enframed on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:04 am

Just revisited The Equals after many years. Seems to me that *everyone* from the Rolling Stones to Jimmy Hendrix to The Clash to The Talking Heads lifted music from these guys, who are not crap.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
User avatar
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 16800
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: Central Coast, CA

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby hellholiday on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:50 am

Not Crap.

phpBB [media]


phpBB [media]
User avatar
hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:23 pm
Location: drowning in the current

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Kyle Motor on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Super Not Crap.
That dog won't hunt, monsignor.
zom-zom wrote:Fuck you loser pussies that hate KISS.

Go listen to your beard-nerd aluminum guitar shit. See if I care.
User avatar
Kyle Motor
has seen it all
has seen it all
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Redline on Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:57 pm

I have the RCA Baby Come Back lp. The whole lp is good. Not Crap
phpBB [media]
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9839
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Ranxerox on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:14 am

Pretty damned great. Many good songs.
Ranxerox
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:15 pm

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby perdothegit on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 am

Funny that this thread should pop up now. I’m on holiday in the UK from the states right now, and I’ve been scouring every record store I come across for some Equals vinyl. No luck so far, but maybe some better luck next week in London.
User avatar
perdothegit
pod
pod
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:22 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Redline on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:35 am

perdothegit wrote:Funny that this thread should pop up now. I’m on holiday in the UK from the states right now, and I’ve been scouring every record store I come across for some Equals vinyl. No luck so far, but maybe some better luck next week in London.

The Baby Come Back lp on RCA (I think it was called The Sensational Equals in the UK) may be easier to find in the states. A sealed copy just sold for 26 bucks on eBay...They're out there.
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9839
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby perdothegit on Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:25 pm

Redline wrote:The Baby Come Back lp on RCA (I think it was called The Sensational Equals in the UK) may be easier to find in the states. A sealed copy just sold for 26 bucks on eBay...They're out there.

Thanks for the tip! I guess I’ll continue the search back home. Still lookin' for some Groundhogs I’m missing while here though.
User avatar
perdothegit
pod
pod
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:22 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Caga Tio on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Not crap. I really like the funk stuff like Stand Up and Be Counted and Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys. I saw Derv Gordon at Gonerfest last month and it was a blast. This song lit up the room:
phpBB [media]


Here is the only video I can find of the night:
phpBB [media]
User avatar
Caga Tio
cannon fodder
cannon fodder
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 am

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby perdothegit on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Persistence paid off. Found this today at a small record shop in Southport. A collection, not a proper album, but still cool!

Image
User avatar
perdothegit
pod
pod
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:22 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Redline on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:00 pm

That's pretty cool.
He looks good with a blonde wig, too...
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9839
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby A Landing Craft on Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:32 am

NOT CRAP

"Baby Come Back" and "Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys" are absolute stompers.
A Landing Craft
airliner
airliner
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:26 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Me Again on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:09 am

GhostFace wrote:My introduction to them was, "Michael and the Slipper Tree" and "Rub A Dub Dub", so I initially thought they were pretty stupid


On the contrary I think "Michael and the Slipper Tree" is pretty great, even if the lyrics don't make a hell of a lot of sense. I picked up an English greatest hits LP about a year ago and that was one of the tracks I ended up playing again and again right away.

But probably the best Equals cut to play if you're gonna spin records out on the town (or loudly in your house) is "Softly, Softly":

phpBB [media]


This was a staple at the now-defunct Mod Night in Milwaukee ages ago.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
User avatar
Me Again
saddam hussein
saddam hussein
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 am

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Kyle Motor on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:38 am

Me Again wrote:But probably the best Equals cut to play if you're gonna spin records out on the town (or loudly in your house) is "Softly, Softly"


YES. That and "Diversion".

phpBB [media]
That dog won't hunt, monsignor.
zom-zom wrote:Fuck you loser pussies that hate KISS.

Go listen to your beard-nerd aluminum guitar shit. See if I care.
User avatar
Kyle Motor
has seen it all
has seen it all
 
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: Madison WI

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Redline on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:40 am

"Michael and the Slipper Tree" is boss, it wouldn't be out of place on a late 60's psychedelic / freakbeat compilation. It also has a weird bubblegum vibe like many of the "late to the psych party" bands. The Cars stole that shit, yo...
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9839
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Me Again on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:
Me Again wrote:But probably the best Equals cut to play if you're gonna spin records out on the town (or loudly in your house) is "Softly, Softly"


YES. That and "Diversion".

phpBB [media]


Yup, that's also got that cool, simple, sort of "Satisfaction" type of fuzz riff with a stomping beat behind it.



Redline wrote:"Michael and the Slipper Tree" is boss, it wouldn't be out of place on a late 60's psychedelic / freakbeat compilation.


Right. It's got that Lewis Carroll by way of psychedelics kind of vibe. I think Mr. Show made fun of this sort of fare being taken to an extreme with Altered State of Druggachusetts sketch. A lot of doped up sixties and seventies bands played with this sort of imagery.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
User avatar
Me Again
saddam hussein
saddam hussein
 
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:08 am

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby Redline on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Me Again wrote:
. A lot of doped up sixties and seventies bands played with this sort of imagery.

July comes to mind- they were late to the party (1968), but they made a great record.

Plus the Equals had great gear, too!
User avatar
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God
 
Posts: 9839
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby noise&light on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:10 am

The Skies Above is one of my favorite tunes of all time. I don't understand why I have never heard it on the radio.
phpBB [media]
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
User avatar
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
 
Posts: 8484
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:47 am
Location: chicago

Re: Band: The Equals

Postby enframed on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:31 pm

noise&light wrote:The Skies Above is one of my favorite tunes of all time. I don't understand why I have never heard it on the radio.
phpBB [media]


Hadn't heard that one. That is a fucking wonderful song. Thanks!

That guitar reminds me of this:

phpBB [media]
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
User avatar
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain
 
Posts: 16800
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: Central Coast, CA


Return to Crap / Not Crap

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 13 guests