PORTAL

Not Crap
94%
Crap
6%

Total votes : 32

Re: band: PORTAL

Postby goatlord on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:36 am

If you are angry, and you want to stay angry, the best music is PORTAL.

I like this band more and more everyday.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby MRoyce on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:11 am

aldofarian wrote:I saw them last night. Their main tour support Impetuous Ritual are a weird combination of Venom and early Slayer chic with a death/doom sound. I didn't think bands existed like that anymore.

Don't Portal and Impetuous Ritual share a few members? Two amazing groups for sure, Australian metal seems to be getting really creative over the past decade.
MRoyce
marmoset
marmoset

Postby aldofarian on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:07 am

MRoyce wrote:
aldofarian wrote:I saw them last night. Their main tour support Impetuous Ritual are a weird combination of Venom and early Slayer chic with a death/doom sound. I didn't think bands existed like that anymore.

Don't Portal and Impetuous Ritual share a few members? Two amazing groups for sure, Australian metal seems to be getting really creative over the past decade.

Difficult to say for obvious reasons but I think all the string playing members of Portal did their own soundcheck un-costumed (and thus were not in Impetuous Ritual). Maybe the drummer is in both?

One thing that kept occurring to me yesterday was that the lead parts of Portal (well, the chords) remind me a lot of Hatröss era Voivod.
mort pété
aldofarian
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby diego on Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:44 am

Finally had the opportunity to see them last night, in Geneva.
Still not too sure what to think about this.
Quite unsettling but the whole visual thing looked like a bit of a joke to me.
Good show nevertheless, glad I had the chance to this band....but Impetuous Ritual was way more fucking extreme.

diego
the white ho
the white ho

Postby BobbyPeru on Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Anyone still listening to Portal? I've listened to Vexovoid 3 times today.. gets better each time.
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:07 pm

Vexovoid is a full blown metal masterpiece.

That record is going to be one to look back on fondly.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Beetown on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Brisbane are doing pretty well with Portal, Kitchens Floor, Sewers etc... these days.
Haven't seen these guys yet though, seen two shows come around that I had to miss. I think they're just about the most interesting metal band going around.

Their last few albums are awesome.
Beetown
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby crustandcrumb on Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 pm

Yeah I've been listening to Vexovoid and Swarth again. Sometimes it's the only thing that will do the trick for me if you know what I'm saying. I feel that way about White Suns and Discordance Axis/Gridlink and some other stuff too.
Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Beetown on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Beetown
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby stewie on Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:28 pm

YASSSS
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Beetown on Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:51 am

oh and here's the new track:

phpBB [media]
Beetown
walter johnson
walter johnson

Postby Bernardo on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:09 pm

on a cursory listen it seemed really good
Bernardo

Postby Speedie on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:07 am

RAD
Trey wrote:How great must a thread be to miss such a thing? Beans on the penis great, I suppose.

https://thegreenwhistle.bandcamp.com/releases
Speedie
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Boombats on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 am

Love the art, love the music. Wish I was in Portal or had friends that cool
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby kerble on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:05 am

Artwork is particularly wonderful on this one. I will say, I -really- hate interviews with them. There are insights that happen about how they write that I like, but some of it reads so corny and dorky and put upon that it kind of takes me out of the music a bit. That make sense? "So, I said to HORROR ILLOGIUM the other day...." [douche chills]
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 am

This new track is just what i needed.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby kerble on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 am

Thoughts on I√o/n? Liked it first time through, but was only half paying attention last night. Artwork for the LP is exquisite. Metallic foil ink gatefold, vellum LP sleeve, silver vinyl with black mist. Maybe one of the best designed records I own. It seems more "friendly" for lack of a better word. Not as claustrophobic, but once again, only listened to it once. Recording doesn't seem as grotty as on Vexovoid, but I'm also playing it on the nice stereo.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:59 pm

kerble wrote:Thoughts on I√o/n? Liked it first time through, but was only half paying attention last night. Artwork for the LP is exquisite. Metallic foil ink gatefold, vellum LP sleeve, silver vinyl with black mist. Maybe one of the best designed records I own. It seems more "friendly" for lack of a better word. Not as claustrophobic, but once again, only listened to it once. Recording doesn't seem as grotty as on Vexovoid, but I'm also playing it on the nice stereo.

Man, I've been spinning the new record quite a bit lately! It's nice to hear them strip every back and still sound like they're pushing forward at a rapid rate.

The packaging is totally great as well.

I love PORTAL and this may sound stupid, but I approach this as their "acoustic" record. It's about as bare bones as I can imagine them getting and the pay off is gold.

While I'm a huge fan of all of their records, it's refreshing to see them ditch the murkiness to come through clearly for ION. It makes it more intense for me personally. Side A gave me a small panic attack when I first spun it at full volume.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby first2letters on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:23 pm

It's jarring to hear them in 3D/4K or whatever you want to call the trebly, nitpicky clarity that prevails on this album. I thought this was how I always wanted to hear them, but it turns out I prefer the knotted murk of the previous records. They're still miles above anything else in death metal for me, and ION fugging rules -- I especially admire that the guitarists, with their dancing, tendril-like fingers, seem to be genetically predisposed to playing this music. But I'm less scared now than I was before, so I'm worried that this sound is becoming a new normal for me.
first2letters
satan
satan

Postby monotremata on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:24 am

MRoyce wrote:Don't Portal and Impetuous Ritual share a few members? Two amazing groups for sure, Australian metal seems to be getting really creative over the past decade.

Portals bass player plays guitar in Impetuous Ritual and the drummer plays guitars, bass and sings.They were both in Grave Upheaval too. Everybody forgets Australias greatest musical export though, HALO.

I really dig Ion, it lost the "murkiness" the older records had, but it sounds like they finally got the money to record an album properly. The drums (probably triggered) finally don't sound like they have a blanket over them, and those guitar riffs, fuuuuuuuuck, we got clarity now!! This is what Morbid Angel wished they could be in 1991 and still can't get anywhere close to.
monotremata
webelos
webelos

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap