home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

What gear do you want right now...

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: What gear do you want right now...

Postby TomWanderer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 am

chris jury wrote:I am after a short scale fender- musicmaster, duosonic, bronco, mustang...Squier would be fine.

I was actually considering pickup up one of the new HH cheapo mustangs and reworking it into a music master- just a single neck pickup. But if anyone has ideas, I'd listen.

You've really got to look around if you're after the 22.5/22.7" scale. The newer reissues all have a 24" scale, which is technically "short", but feels pretty much like a full scale. I have one of those Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonics, and it does not feel like a short scale guitar. It's actually super nice and one of the most comfortable non-aluminum necks I have played.

If want the really short scale, look at the early 90s Fender Duo Sonic reissues like this one;
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/1996-Duo-Sonic-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
most of the modern reissues I have seen of the Mustang and Duo sonic have opted for the 24" scale.
TomWanderer
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby Tommy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am

TomWanderer wrote:
chris jury wrote:I am after a short scale fender- musicmaster, duosonic, bronco, mustang...Squier would be fine.

I was actually considering pickup up one of the new HH cheapo mustangs and reworking it into a music master- just a single neck pickup. But if anyone has ideas, I'd listen.

You've really got to look around if you're after the 22.5/22.7" scale. The newer reissues all have a 24" scale, which is technically "short", but feels pretty much like a full scale. I have one of those Squier Classic Vibe Duo-Sonics, and it does not feel like a short scale guitar. It's actually super nice and one of the most comfortable non-aluminum necks I have played.

If want the really short scale, look at the early 90s Fender Duo Sonic reissues like this one;
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/1996-Duo-Sonic-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
most of the modern reissues I have seen of the Mustang and Duo sonic have opted for the 24" scale.

Guessing since Bronco was also mentioned that Chris is just looking for 24" scale. The Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic is a pretty great little guitar for the cash. Maybe look there. Also, if you aren't tied to the body shape, Peavey T-15 can be had super cheap. I think that one is 23.5" and has pretty killer sounding pickups.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby TomWanderer on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am

Gotcha! If that's the case and 24" scale is the ticket, those Squire Mustangs and Duos from a few years back really are great. Not sure why the newer HH ones are SO cheap, but the single coil ones from 2008-11ish are quality.
TomWanderer
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby chris jury on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:42 pm

TomWanderer wrote:Gotcha! If that's the case and 24" scale is the ticket, those Squire Mustangs and Duos from a few years back really are great. Not sure why the newer HH ones are SO cheap, but the single coil ones from 2008-11ish are quality.

well, guitar center has the Olympic white ones that are not really available online- plus packages have been disappearing from our front porch lately- So I picked up the HH on the way to practice last night.

Super impressed for the money- I think I need to do a bit of tweaking to the pickup heights, the low E didn't intonate perfectly out of the box, and the high E nut slot 'sitars' a bit...but I've had $2500 gibsons come out of the box much worse.

Plays nice, sounds good. I'm going to wrestle w/ the intonation tonight, make sure it is totally playable, then might do a little fine tuning to the nut, frets, etc.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby TomWanderer on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 pm

chris jury wrote:
TomWanderer wrote:Gotcha! If that's the case and 24" scale is the ticket, those Squire Mustangs and Duos from a few years back really are great. Not sure why the newer HH ones are SO cheap, but the single coil ones from 2008-11ish are quality.

well, guitar center has the Olympic white ones that are not really available online- plus packages have been disappearing from our front porch lately- So I picked up the HH on the way to practice last night.

Super impressed for the money- I think I need to do a bit of tweaking to the pickup heights, the low E didn't intonate perfectly out of the box, and the high E nut slot 'sitars' a bit...but I've had $2500 gibsons come out of the box much worse.

Plays nice, sounds good. I'm going to wrestle w/ the intonation tonight, make sure it is totally playable, then might do a little fine tuning to the nut, frets, etc.

I just looked those up, and, holy shit, those are $150 NEW?? Hard to go wrong. Plus, the description on the GC website starts with "Perfect for the raucous sound of indie music, the Bullet Mustang HH is just plain fun to play."
TomWanderer
julia roberts
julia roberts

Postby chris jury on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:36 pm

In the cold light of day, the mustang is still pretty good.

I need to do some work to level the frets, slot the nut properly, and need to figure out what I want to do w/ the pickups (keep, swap, rework for SC/p90?). will start w/ the nut slots. also the tuners kinda suck...will replace w/ gotoh...nothing fancy.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury

Postby bdm on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 am

Seriously considering selling a bunch of my fancy pants boutique custom amps and getting an early 60s Vox AC30.
bdm
aaron burr
aaron burr

Postby honeyisfunny on Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:32 am

90s DeArmond Jet Star guitar. Hit me up!
chris jury wrote:"blistering walls of questionable tone"
honeyisfunny

Postby piut_ on Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:09 am

Picking up guitar again after a 3 year hiatus! Always wanted that 52RI tele but afraid that the neck would be too uncomfortable to play.

Anyone tried the new american pro teles?
piut_
buelah witch
buelah witch

Postby Seby on Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:26 am

An old Eko/Harmony 12 string holowbody with goldfoils and a wide neck
Seby
webelos
webelos

Postby Dudley on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:17 am

A neck pos wide range h/bucker. Creamery seem the best UK-ish option.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Major on Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:32 am

Been looking for an older Jazz or P bass. A 2011 USA-made Jazz popped up on Craigslist for $800 with a case. Is that a good deal?
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby garthplinko on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am

Major wrote:Been looking for an older Jazz or P bass. A 2011 USA-made Jazz popped up on Craigslist for $800 with a case. Is that a good deal?

That seems to be about the going rate.
garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 am

garthplinko wrote:
Major wrote:Been looking for an older Jazz or P bass. A 2011 USA-made Jazz popped up on Craigslist for $800 with a case. Is that a good deal?

Dude there’s a 70s P Bass refin on the Beaumont Craigslist for $850. It had some sort of switch installed. Last I checked it was still available but that was weeks ago.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby TylerSavage on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:20 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
garthplinko wrote:

Dude there’s a 70s P Bass refin on the Beaumont Craigslist for $850. It had some sort of switch installed. Last I checked it was still available but that was weeks ago.

for some reason P-basses are always going cheap in san diego

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/msg ... 62725.html <-issue
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/msg ... 70900.html
TylerSavage
museum trash
museum trash

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:18 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
garthplinko wrote:

Shit it’s gone
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:52 pm

Seriously, who's holding some Vistalites they aren't using? No concert toms, unless they're in addition to some standard rack toms.
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby offal on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote:Seriously, who's holding some Vistalites they aren't using? No concert toms, unless they're in addition to some standard rack toms.

Not me, but There are three different sets in Denver, Italia, if you'd like me to assist.

Blue.
https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/197 ... 92720.html

Missing floor tom
https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/197 ... 88072.html

Smoke?
https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/lud ... 49734.html

BONUS - Also, one nice-looking Zickos set as well.
https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/vin ... 45684.html

offal
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby garthplinko on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Man, Nick from God Eaters was selling his Zickos for an unreal low price just recently.
garthplinko

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Generally not into the blue ones, but damn it's got two floor toms AND two concert toms. Debating asking if he'd go down on price if I didn't want the stands, snare, etc.

Also, why does Denver have all the GREAT deals??
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room