home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

what're you buyin', what's on its way?

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: what're you buyin', what's on its way?

Postby J. Burns on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Evanc521 wrote:Just picked up one of those Walrus Audio Red pedals after the put them on sale. First impressions are that it is a pretty decent HM-2 clone. Much more usable gain control, serviceable 3-band EQ, and way more volume on tap. I will probably swap this out for my old HM-2 on my bass board. If you can get one of these for cheap it is well worth the money.

If it can do a passable Godflesh, I might be interested in one of these as well.
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby JohnnySomersett on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:07 am

Got this weird pair of Peavey PA speakers on their way. Paid £10 for them as they both have blown speakers. I'm going to convert them into a tiny matching pair of guitar and bass cabs for a laugh.
ERawk wrote:I'd rather have a hystorectomy, you fuckstick piece of shit.

My Band https://mopernoise.bandcamp.com/releases
High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Raa on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:38 am

Evanc521 wrote:I looked at the HMD-1 too, It seems like it'd be great for the Entomed-type of stuff, but it seemed to lack a lot of the low-end and midrange that the Red has. Also, for that much you might as well go with the Left-Hand Wraith, that thing is amazing.

I can remember really liking the sound of the Left Hand Wrath. I see they're on special right now.

J. Burns wrote:If it can do a passable Godflesh, I might be interested in one of these as well.

The Idiotbox Dungeon Master sounds pretty Godfleshy, to me at least.

http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/pr ... eon-master

All Idiotbox stuff is $99 right now.
Raa
duke ellington
duke ellington

Postby J. Burns on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Raa wrote:
J. Burns wrote:If it can do a passable Godflesh, I might be interested in one of these as well.

The Idiotbox Dungeon Master sounds pretty Godfleshy, to me at least.

http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/pr ... eon-master

All Idiotbox stuff is $99 right now.

Well, shit. I already wanted a Blower Box...
J. Burns

Postby Snowblinder on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:29 am

I bought a Strat. Squier 50's Classic Vibe model. Really liking the neck pickup position in particular. Bridge pickup needs a tone control because it is BRIGHT. I'll probably eventually have the tone pot for the middle pickup wired to the bridge pickup instead. It'll never be my main guitar, but I am enjoying it a lot at the moment.

Snowblinder
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:01 am

Snowblinder wrote:I bought a Strat. Squier 50's Classic Vibe model. Really liking the neck pickup position in particular. Bridge pickup needs a tone control because it is BRIGHT. I'll probably eventually have the tone pot for the middle pickup wired to the bridge pickup instead. It'll never be my main guitar, but I am enjoying it a lot at the moment.

You could do the Richard Thompson thing and roll off the bridge a little.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Tommy on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:41 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
Snowblinder wrote:I bought a Strat. Squier 50's Classic Vibe model. Really liking the neck pickup position in particular. Bridge pickup needs a tone control because it is BRIGHT. I'll probably eventually have the tone pot for the middle pickup wired to the bridge pickup instead. It'll never be my main guitar, but I am enjoying it a lot at the moment.

You could do the Richard Thompson thing and roll off the bridge a little.

I modded a Strat years ago so that the middle tone control worked on both the middle and the bridge pickup. I seem to remember it only requiring a single jumper wire added to the switch.

See here!: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/strat-bridge-pickup-tone-control-1
Tommy

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:45 am

Found what I believe to be an Electro E-12 for $250 shipped. Trem doesn’t work or is intermittent.

These were made by Rickenbacker, and I think it’s like a tweed Champ, but with a 12” Jensen.
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby Tommy on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:52 am

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Found what I believe to be an Electro E-12 for $250 shipped. Trem doesn’t work or is intermittent.

These were made by Rickenbacker, and I think it’s like a tweed Champ, but with a 12” Jensen.

If it's intermittent it probably isn't a case where it needs a footswitch to work, BUT, occasionally I've fixed the "broken tremolo" in tube amps by just replacing the tremolo tube.
Tommy

Postby TylerSavage on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am

zom-zom wrote:Found an excellent 1972 Sunn Coliseum 880 head for my bass rig. What a great sound. Almost perfect condition as well.

hey zom, this was from way earlier in the thread but still liking that 880? One came up here on CL for $500 which is just enough that I'm resisting it.
TylerSavage
gutter lover
gutter lover

Postby elisha wiesner on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Found what I believe to be an Electro E-12 for $250 shipped. Trem doesn’t work or is intermittent.

That is a the best kept secret in vintage amps although I have seem prices going up on them in the last couple years. I've owned a few of them and still have a Ric branded one. It's a one trick pony but it's an awesome trick!
elisha wiesner

Postby JohnnySomersett on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am

Guyatone GA-940

Apparently a sort-of MIJ clone of a Mk1 Selmer Treble n Bass (the snakeskin TORLEX version). Should make either a nice recording bass amp or a gritty guitar noise-maker

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Adam P on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Just ordered a CAD D80 large diaphragm dynamic mic...I’m hoping it’ll be a winner for live guitar and bass amps. I also might be picking up a Crown power amp for $50 over the weekend.
Adam P
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Nate Dort on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Borked sennheiser 441 on the way. Something apparently rattling inside. Guess I get to perform some surgery on one of these for the first time.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby JohnnySomersett on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:12 pm

JohnnySomersett wrote:Guyatone GA-940

Apparently a sort-of MIJ clone of a Mk1 Selmer Treble n Bass (the snakeskin TORLEX version). Should make either a nice recording bass amp or a gritty guitar noise-maker

This arrived. Sounded great for exactly 30 seconds then blew a tube. Fuck. Don't have any 6L6 lying around either :cry:

High Fives Save Lives
JohnnySomersett
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Big John on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 pm

This amp has returned after decades, Fender Princeton Reverb '73. I used to practice my guitar lessons through it.

Big John

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Found this for just over $1,000 shipped.

I’ve been watching these guitars for years after playing one in Austin through a non-reverb BF Princeton a while back. That one (a Dwight model) sounded great. I still have a weird sense memory of that day.

This one had the “silver fox” finish taken off of the body and the trem removed. A little fucked up, but not too bad. Needs a black pick guard!

I’m going to have to get rid of some stuff to justify it. Not sure what’s going to go up, but most likely I will be unloading one of the Morales Mosrite copies if anybody is interested. Definitely some effects. Going to make some hard choices this weekend!
llllllllllllllllllllllll

Postby bdm on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:Image

Found this for just over $1,000 shipped.

I’ve been watching these guitars for years after playing one in Austin through a non-reverb BF Princeton a while back. That one (a Dwight model) sounded great. I still have a weird sense memory of that day.

This one had the “silver fox” finish taken off of the body and the trem removed. A little fucked up, but not too bad. Needs a black pick guard!

I’m going to have to get rid of some stuff to justify it. Not sure what’s going to go up, but most likely I will be unloading one of the Morales Mosrite copies if anybody is interested. Definitely some effects. Going to make some hard choices this weekend!

If you decide you aren’t feelin it let me know.
bdm
aaron burr
aaron burr

Postby Big John on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:03 pm

I find that that Princeton sound is something that for me (including Delux style amp) is the ultimate fender amp sound.

So these are like Sheridan's/Belvederes style & time epiphones with a p-90? I did not know that those style guitars came with single coil style pick ups all I have seen in the flesh have had humbuckers. They were all ass kicking guitars though the neck feel for me was something special fast and less pressure. This one looks like a beauty did they take it into the Walmart photo studio for the portrait and background?

Big John

Postby Snowblinder on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:28 am

Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro bass.

Definitely the nicest brand new piece of gear I've ever owned. Ive only had it for a couple of days, but so far I have to say I like it more than any of my previous Thunderbirds, including the Epi Elitist. The new Probucker pickups in this model really sound great.
Snowblinder

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room