39%
NOT CRAP
61%

Total votes : 236

Re: Band: Steely Dan

Postby strangeone on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:55 am

geiginni wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:
Aja and The Nightfly are so good for showing off your stereo system's capabilities.

It sounds like one of the shop demos for a fancy keyboard, like an expensive Yamaha one.

I always hated/still hate when people use Steely Dan to demo audio gear. This stuff was specifically mixed to sound great on a fucking clock-radio. It really sounds good no matter what you're hearing it on, and provides no objective basis for judging the quality of a system's or component's performance. Everything is baby-shit smooth and dialed in just so.

I like punishing raw source material for auditioning equipment. Things with a lot of hard transients, complex harmonic intermodulation and wide dynamic and spectral ranges. Some favorites are "Floret silva nobilis" from Carmina Burana (or other mixed orchestral/choral works like Beethoven's 9th, 4th movement, Brahms' German Requiem, or "Die Himmel erzählen die Ehre Gottes" from Haydn's Die Schopfung. Or punishing piano music, like Boulez's Second Piano Sonata, Ravel's Mirrors and such. Some of Steve's mixes are good for that too, or Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch.

While I agree with most of what you say, It's still all about the midrange. And the sound of those albums have some of the most gloriously recorded midrange ever realized. And that's why they are used to objectively evaluate sound systems, especially speakers. If you don't have the midrange, you ain't got shit.
strangeone
duke
duke

Postby geiginni on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 pm

strangeone wrote:
geiginni wrote:
Anthony Flack wrote:
Aja and The Nightfly are so good for showing off your stereo system's capabilities.

It sounds like one of the shop demos for a fancy keyboard, like an expensive Yamaha one.

I always hated/still hate when people use Steely Dan to demo audio gear. This stuff was specifically mixed to sound great on a fucking clock-radio. It really sounds good no matter what you're hearing it on, and provides no objective basis for judging the quality of a system's or component's performance. Everything is baby-shit smooth and dialed in just so.

I like punishing raw source material for auditioning equipment. Things with a lot of hard transients, complex harmonic intermodulation and wide dynamic and spectral ranges. Some favorites are "Floret silva nobilis" from Carmina Burana (or other mixed orchestral/choral works like Beethoven's 9th, 4th movement, Brahms' German Requiem, or "Die Himmel erzählen die Ehre Gottes" from Haydn's Die Schopfung. Or punishing piano music, like Boulez's Second Piano Sonata, Ravel's Mirrors and such. Some of Steve's mixes are good for that too, or Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch.

While I agree with most of what you say, It's still all about the midrange. And the sound of those albums have some of the most gloriously recorded midrange ever realized. And that's why they are used to objectively evaluate sound systems, especially speakers. If you don't have the midrange, you ain't got shit.

I can't argue with that. I will stand that their reason for the glorious midrange was so that those recordings would also sound glorious on the millions of 2" to 4" single drivers in tabletop radios, clock radios and stock auto stereos in that time period, not as a litmus test for pro or high-end consumer gear. But yeah, there is that midrange to bend your ear to any misgivings in 2-way and even the lesser 3-way systems of that time with the generally low quality of crossover components used.

I still prefer unvarnished orchestral/choral and piano music, which will be more revealing much more quickly of any deficiencies in a system. Tons of midrange going on there and no suppression of natural overtones.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Get dog costumes on Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 pm

sulfur)addict wrote:at the expense of every studio musician

I don't think that's how it works.
cneutron wrote:I (correctly) pointed out
Get dog costumes
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Bernardo on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:05 pm

Get dog costumes wrote:
sulfur)addict wrote:at the expense of every studio musician

I don't think that's how it works.

What, next thing you're going to tell me these guys got paid for playing on recording sessions. With tax payers' money no less, I bet.
Bernardo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Pure L on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 pm

I've convinced at least 2 friends of mine that dynaco a-25s are indeed a pair of bitchin speakers by simply playing the first side of Gaucho on vinyl.

And for the record (<-- ha!), it really does sound great. Like, noticeably so.

And I'm usually not That Guy at all.

Signed,
That Guy
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby strangeone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:35 pm

geiginni wrote:This stuff was specifically mixed to sound great on a fucking clock-radio.

I really don't think that was the objective at all. It may be in your mind, but it wasn't in theirs at the time. "Uh, let's record this so it sounds great on a 2" driver"

Uh, no.
strangeone
duke
duke

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap