home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Looking for an apartment in Chicago

Postby chrisc on Sat May 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Okay! Sorry to post here again! I've lived here two years and don't understand how to find an apartment somehow. I'm attempting to "get my shit together" and am starting to search for an apartment again. I'm in my early thirties and keep finding craigslist roommate situations with people in their early twenties and it's just never a good match. Good thing is I have month to month rent.

I'm trying to stay under $700 after bills. I have wiggle room. I bumped my craigslist search to $200 over my budget and am still not really finding anything. I get the vibe that finding an affordable apartment is word of mouth? Is there a better place to look than craigslist? I don't have a ton of free time but I'm doing my best to go around looking at signs.

Is Hunter Properties cool? I see that stuff very often, it seems affordable, but is giving me bad vibes.
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby 154 on Sun May 07, 2017 6:52 am

At this point, with that budget in the northside you're probably looking at further northwest neighborhoods. Jeff Park, Portage Park, Norwood Park, etc. Maybe Edison Park, but some of those 'almost-suburbs' have the effect of driving the price back up a bit. Nice, quiet neighborhoods with access to the blue line & Metra but certainly not "cool".

I have no internet search advice but craigslist has really taken a shit in other ways in the last 5-ish years. I used to find musical collaborators, jobs, apartments there. That all seems laughable looking through there now.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby jimmy two hands on Sun May 07, 2017 8:02 pm

chrisc wrote:Okay! Sorry to post here again! I've lived here two years and don't understand how to find an apartment somehow. I'm attempting to "get my shit together" and am starting to search for an apartment again. I'm in my early thirties and keep finding craigslist roommate situations with people in their early twenties and it's just never a good match. Good thing is I have month to month rent.

I'm trying to stay under $700 after bills. I have wiggle room. I bumped my craigslist search to $200 over my budget and am still not really finding anything. I get the vibe that finding an affordable apartment is word of mouth? Is there a better place to look than craigslist? I don't have a ton of free time but I'm doing my best to go around looking at signs.

Is Hunter Properties cool? I see that stuff very often, it seems affordable, but is giving me bad vibes.

Non-FM Jonny Kosmos found a studio apartment in Albany Park/Mayfair for $700 back in February. They're few and far between but you can find stuff in your price range up here on the northwest side like 154 says. If you're still looking for a place in September/October, hit me up, I may have an opening in my building around that time.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby El Protoolio on Mon May 08, 2017 3:09 pm

The best apartments I found were always by walking around the hood I wanted to live in or was already living in (other than a few months near Logan Square I never left Wicker Park/Ukrainian Village for 10 years) and answering posted For Rent signs. No criagslist, no ApartmentPeople, no bullshit. Just you and the landlord to deal with.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Tommy on Mon May 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Try this: https://www.padmapper.com/

It gets data from several sources, Craigslist included.

No advice on roommate finding.
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby noise&light on Sat May 20, 2017 11:44 pm

I just messaged you about a place that you might want to jump on!

Good luck!

chrisc wrote:Okay! Sorry to post here again! I've lived here two years and don't understand how to find an apartment somehow. I'm attempting to "get my shit together" and am starting to search for an apartment again. I'm in my early thirties and keep finding craigslist roommate situations with people in their early twenties and it's just never a good match. Good thing is I have month to month rent.

There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Ok, hey! We have an apartment in the garden unit of our building for rent, which we just renovated with a brand new kitchen and nice things like a dishwasher and LED light fixtures, in beautiful sunny Albany Park!

Here is a link to the info: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N-Sp ... 5424_zpid/

If having me as your landlord sounds appealing to you, you can PM me or respond to the ad.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

Postby KrisPoulin on Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:56 pm

I'd like to alert the fine folks of the PRF about an apartment rental that also would include access to a home/semi-pro recording studio.

The building owner and I built the studio in 2005 and, after I moved away from Chicago, the partnership grew to include a third person. This third person has recently moved out. Ideally, we can find an interested recording engineer/musician to live in the apartment and join the partnership. (I still return a few times a year to record there.)

The studio is fairly small, but just large enough to record a 4-piece band simultaneously and is well soundproofed, though you will hear some of what's going on in the studio from the apartment.

The apartment is 2 bedroom/1 bathroom. Rent is $1000/Month. Cats are allowed and dogs are a maybe.

The building is in the Logan Square neighborhood, right around the Armitage & Kimball intersection.

The landlord is not a member of this forum, but is a damn fine human nonetheless.

Please PM me for more info/details.
KrisPoulin
fletcher rabbit
fletcher rabbit

Postby jimmy two hands on Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:59 am

jimmy two hands wrote:Ok, hey! We have an apartment in the garden unit of our building for rent, which we just renovated with a brand new kitchen and nice things like a dishwasher and LED light fixtures, in beautiful sunny Albany Park!

Here is a link to the info: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/N-Sp ... 5424_zpid/

If having me as your landlord sounds appealing to you, you can PM me or respond to the ad.

Ok friends, our garden unit is up for rent again, available starting the first of December. The link up above isn’t active, so shoot me a pm and I can give you the details. It’ll be listed in the next few days but I’m letting people here know first.

jimmy two hands

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:56 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:Ok, hey! We have an apartment in the garden unit of our building for rent, which we just renovated with a brand new kitchen and nice things like a dishwasher and LED light fixtures, in beautiful sunny Albany Park!

Ok friends, our garden unit is up for rent again, available starting the first of December. The link up above isn’t active, so shoot me a pm and I can give you the details. It’ll be listed in the next few days but I’m letting people here know first.

Our tenant decided to stay on for another couple months, so the place is gonna go up in spring, probably April or may.

jimmy two hands

Previous

Return to General Discussion