Stooges?

Crap.
3%
Not crap.
98%

Total votes : 200

Re: Band: Stooges, The

Postby Arson Smith on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Marsupialized wrote:It took 6 some odd years of my wife playing them at full volume at some point literally every single day, I finally turned yesterday and said 'I never notice before but the The Stooges are fucking AWESOME'

Just noticed this - please give that woman a big ridiculous bear hug from me.
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Frank Decent on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:00 am

Frank Decent
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Big John on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 am

Sounds like they nailed it. Good vocals, solid songs with variety. Wish there was a button I could turn on to hear James Williamson play multible searing leads on everything all the time but he is restrained in a way that adds a little tension and the bursts of leads are like a good condument to a fully cooked dish (song).

Doesn't sound like or look back to the Kill City or Raw Power (though there are echoes of the style) new thing, but has a ton of catchy songs that have the right rocking vibe. If it were a Iggy solo record it would be his best since New Values and Zombie Birdhouse. As a Stooges record I think it could have more lead work but it is in some ways comparable to Exile on Mainstreet in terms that it has many moods all of which work.

Lots of stand out tracks even like "DD" which is a bit silly and Iggy seems to like not being so serious.

The "Departed" track is interesting and obtuse and does not get mauldlin, the missing are refered to in the music (not just Ron) not the lyrics directly.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Cactus on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Is there another Stooges thread? I can't believe this one only has 6 pages.
Anyways, here's something to ruin your weekend:
phpBB [media]
Cactus
district attourney
district attourney

Postby A Landing Craft on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:51 am

Just bumping this thread because I can. Soooooo NOT CRAP. One of the first things that my future wife and I agreed on, but she's always been a fan of The Stooges, whereas I'm a Fun House freak all day long. Raw Power works as a cheap good-time fix whenever you need it, but Fun House is THE one. Period.
A Landing Craft
joseph cornell
joseph cornell

Postby a. james on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 am

my older brother and i have a lot in common, but in an odd, mirrored way. we disagree on our agreements. we like psychology but i like analytical psychology and he's more psychoanalytic. our birthday's are a day apart. we play guitar, but i like noise rock weird shit, and he's just better at it. he's left handed, i'm not, etc. etc. etc. we were in a band together for a time because i thought he should do something with the years spent one such a thing as music, so i played drums for him. we got some stuff done. we were called heka. (https://soundcloud.com/thejankrva/sets/landr) (he changed the name after a rather bad, ( bad bad bad) falling out. forgive the drumming. i got better.)

so, trying to reconnect with him in a way with any kind of meaning, a friend is putting that jarmusch stooges doc/fan film up at a local theater. "hey man, i got us tickets, you coming?"

before the film, there's a trivia game with prizes. well, i know everything about iggy, so after watching a bunch of nerds win, i get sick of not playing, last round. 3rd album he did with bowie. i'm seated dead center of the theater, got there early, friend put it on, knew us pembertons, so, choice seats. BLAH BLAH BLAH. i trod upon so many feet and marched up and took my 180gr "funhouse" reissue. stepped directly onto feet back to my seat and said, "here ya go" and handed it to him, in the hopes he'll buy a record player and give that record we both proclaim is the best stooges record. and on vinyl you can where dave alexander's bass strings rattling on the fretboard.

stooges, not crap. and "funhouse" is the best record, because there are only two stooges records.
Marsupialized wrote:I am NOT sorry I yelled. I should have yelled louder.
a. james
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:09 pm

I would just like to chime in and say The Weirdness is an incredible little album. It never gets love because people were expecting everyone involved to go back to 1972 or whatever.

Title track is unreal, like mutant doo wop - I adore Ron's lead. "She Took My Money" is a 60's-style banger, it stands out in the sea of retro-rock bands who cannot write a Kinks-style song for their lives. "Mexican Guy" rocks so goddamn hard, it conjures a desolate little scorched-sun wasteland that compliment whatever the fuck Iggy is on about so well.

It took a second to realize how many characters Iggy had put into those songs - Republicans, ugly Americans, maybe even George W. Bush himself on "My Idea Of Fun."

Nitpicking it makes no sense to me. It was a full album of the Ashetons writing new music. That's such a blessing.

FM steve - did Ron still get high before playing guitar? I wouldn't think so, but only you know.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Previous

Return to Crap / Not Crap