Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Band: The Arcade Fire

CRAP
60%
NOT CRAP
40%

Total votes : 236

Postby toomanyhelicopters on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:39 am

pics of Arcade Fire from when they played on Pancake Mountain.

http://www.pancakemountain.com/bhs01.html
toomanyhelicopters
priss

Postby tallchris on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:19 pm

I'd avoided hearing this band due to all the hype until I saw them on Conan. It was alright. I'm gonna get the record for the girlfriend with store credit. They reminded me of a "we listened to a lot of indie rock instead of the 'Cabaret' soundtrack" version of the Dresden Dolls (the girlfriend also likes them a lot).
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby tipcat on Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:03 pm

I am 34 and have been going to shows for 18 years. The show at the Empty Bottle in November was one of the best small club shows I have ever seen, and the best ever in 10 years of going to shows at the Bottle. I would stake my reputation on that claim.

Not crap.
tipcat
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby kerble on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:17 pm

tipcat wrote:I am 34 and have been going to shows for 18 years. The show at the Empty Bottle in November was one of the best small club shows I have ever seen, and the best ever in 10 years of going to shows at the Bottle. I would stake my reputation on that claim.

Not crap.

This was the same show I was referring to earlier. One of the finest shows.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Surfrider on Fri May 27, 2005 9:36 pm

I just found this thread and found it very surprising as it is all fresh news to me.

I was in a record shop a couple of weeks back with a few spare quids, doing what i'm sure many of us do : perusing the 7 inch singles for a quick 45 rpm thrill. I often buy many 7s by bands i have never heard, or even heard of, simply because they are only 1 or 2 pounds.
So anyway, i already had Delgados, Low, and Mekons records in my hands when i come across The Arcade Fire. Nice artwork. Nice packaging. Very nice. Good song titles. 2 pounds. Heard the name once. Really. Just the once. Ahhh go on then.

So i get home and don't even play it for a few days, then when i did decide to play it i thought "hey, this isn't too bad actually. infact, i really like it". Good flipside as well. Then my girlfriend bought the album based on the single i got (it was Laika btw) and we listened a few times. I mostly found it irritating but was compelled to continue putting it on. I since went out and bought the vinyl and am still listening to it a fair bit. I think there are some really inspired parts on that album as well as some derirative muck too. But for a first record by a young band i find it encouraging and hopeful.

My point? I think it is truly a shame that this hype machine you all speak of has ruined a potentially good band for so many people that very well may like them under different circumstances. I fear this new hype knowledge may already have begun to cloud my judgement. Even so, i was shocked, nay, appaulled to see people lumping them in with the likes of Killers, Frank Fernando, Bribery, Interpol et al.

The effort and imagination manages to shine through i say. Waiting patiently for the live show.
Many non hype related waffles. But still, Not Crap.
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby kerble on Sat May 28, 2005 2:16 pm

Surfrider wrote:...i come across The Arcade Fire. Nice artwork. Nice packaging. Very nice. Good song titles. 2 pounds. Heard the name once. Really. Just the once. Ahhh go on then.

So i get home and don't even play it for a few days, then when i did decide to play it i thought "hey, this isn't too bad actually. infact, i really like it". Good flipside as well.

For what it's worth the A.F. have brothers involved in their line-up. The B-Side of the seven inch is actually their grandfather's band from earlier this century. It's quite ahead of its' time for when it was recorded, with this bugged out vocoder vocal over a pretty, standard arrangement. I think it's from the 30's. Either way, it's neat and I think also a testament to the bands' cred to me as they chose to prop up gramps on merge even before they got all big. a nice touch, is all I'm saying.

Faiz
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble

Postby Surfrider on Mon May 30, 2005 7:01 pm

Yeah that's the one! The track "My Buddy". Excellent. Thanks for that little gem of info kerble. My enjoyment is suitably enhanced!
You're a shit DM and i want my pizza money back.
(Let's Violence Cowpiss ne!)
Surfrider
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Peripatetic on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:10 pm

Funeral isn't a horrible record, although mediocre at best. The hype surrounding it is ridiculous.

crap

sw
Peripatetic
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby mattw on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:35 pm

I keep on waffling* w/ this band. I didn't see them live (where I hear real magic can happen on stage) but listened to the record again and it definitely has its moments. Still overrated, though.

*what's with all these vocalists sounding like Conor Oberst?
mattw

Postby Lemuel Gulliver on Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:28 am

Bump.

I can't give a meh because I like them. But shit, do they not interest me. Of all the over-hyped bands of the last 5 years or so, these guys seem to me the most tolerable.

Maybe Polyphonic Spree plus Stereolab. Too many people playing repetitive stuff. At least these people have instruments though.
Lemuel Gulliver
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby elmofreech on Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:12 am

I like Funeral aside from that last song. haven't heard the EP.

NOT CRAP.
Dee Wig wrote:You'd have to be straight-up out of your goddamned mind to think Robocop was crap.
elmofreech
barnett newman
barnett newman

Postby mackro on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:56 am

Can't stand Funeral, except for "Rebellion (Lies)".. even then, at the end of the song, that nervous turkey warble voice comes back in again.

That said, this album selling lots = more money for Merge = can't be that bad a thing, right?

Crap :WF: 7
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby mackro on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:58 am

That aside, even if you can prove people in a band are a) pretentious, and b) are from art school, why use "art school" as a negative when dissing a band? What's wrong with art and what's wrong with school?

It would be cooler to start dissing bands as "a bunch of audio engineer fucks"! (Wait...)
"Pro Tools is too California Hollywood bullshit.”
mackro
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Sebastian J. on Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:49 pm

CRAP !
Sebastian J.
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:22 pm

Theatrical, and somewhat derivative, but I like 'em quite a bit - that opening track on "Funeral" is a great song. Not Crap.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby mega therion on Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:46 pm

Helmets.

Crap.
mega therion
Trygve Halvdan Lie
Trygve Halvdan Lie

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:00 am

i like a few tracks of funeral...others, not so much. they are great live and a fun band all around. just kids having fun, folks. there are many worse things my not-yet-born son could listen to.
Uncle Ovipositor wrote:In Tokyo, the Japanese can pee in the streets...
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby tommydski on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:49 am

this band has good songs!
and what a live show!
NOT CRAP!

:WF: 2 for the helmets and reminding me of dexy's midnight runners quite a lot!

also!
the funny little gae boy violinist in this band plays some great music under the name 'final fantasty', mainly about how he wants to rim link from the zelda games!
NOT CRAP!
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby eva03 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Sorry they suck, I'll admit part of it is the hype, I heard nothing but good things about this record and then listened to what sounds like whiny, unorginal, and uninspired CRAP!
Rimbaud III wrote:
I won't lie to you, I don't want to be invisible so that I can expose the illuminati, I just want to see Natalie Portman DJing at her downstairs disco.
eva03
roman
roman

Postby revrantMeat on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:25 pm

total trash
revrantMeat
ben franklin
ben franklin

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap