Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Band: The Arcade Fire

CRAP
60%
NOT CRAP
40%

Total votes : 236

Postby night_tools on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:26 am

This was Letter Of The Month in last Sunday's Observer Music Magazine.

Paul Morley's fantastic Arcade Fire article (OMM43) not only affirmed the band as one of the greatest of their time but also provided an intimate portrayal of my heroes without one removing the air of mystery that surrounds both their music and personalities. They came across as one of the few remaining bands still entirely devoted to their music and giving it a meaning and a purpose.
Reading the interview it was obvious why the band have become one of the most inspiring and loved of recent years. Having been told that great music died in the Eighties, or with Nirvana's demise in the Nineties, or with the fall of Britpop, I can hold up Arcade Fire against the likes of the Smiths and the Clash and know that, as Funeral and Neon Bible prove, my generation has its own very special band.

Pepe Montiel, London

CRAP.
You're a shit MD and I want my pizza money back.
night_tools
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby tommydski on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:51 am

Oh my word that is a fucking shambles.

Mr. Montiel just earned the Arcade Fire a CRAP avec le waffles.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm
tommydski
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:38 am

Well I must say i'm pleasantly surprised at the shift in this tread. I'm still seeing a lot of, "I haven't heard any of the new stuff. I really don't know if ir's good."

Well then, click on the link below. I'll take you to their myspace page. Listen to the song Windowsill. Looks like it's the only one from the new album they have up. Warning: IT"S SO BAD IT HURTS!

Give it a listen. New Arcade Fire: Windowsill. In all it's pretentious indie wannabe BRUCE FUCKING SPRINGSTEEN glory.

www.myspace.com/arcadefireofficial

god Damn it's bad.
John George Peppers
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby RSMurphy on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 am

How does having a crappy second album negate the, uh, non-crappiness of a first album? It doesn't. Funeral is a fine album, Neon Bible is not.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:14 pm

JGP is just a little slow, is all. these post rock nerds that post here are a bunch of scenesters, too. it's a shame that it's a scene that's the biggest sausage fest since the paulina meat market opened. and the music usually isn't very good.

Talking heads reference, a bit back? HEY LOOK, THAT'S WHAT I SAID ON THE FIRST PAGE.

Bruce Springsteen Reference two posts back? HEY LOOK, THAT'S WHAT I SAID ON THE FIRST PAGE.

you people are slow.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby John W. on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:23 pm

I don't know, they just went in one ear and out the other for me. I've probably just been listening to too much hipster new age music lately.
John W.

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:36 pm

H-GM wrote:How does having a crappy second album negate the, uh, non-crappiness of a first album? It doesn't. Funeral is a fine album, Neon Bible is not.

When and where have I ever brought up the first album? I haven't!!! I understand why mis-guided fools, such as yourself, think it's a good album. So, givin your view that the bands first album is good and their second is crap. You, a supporter of the Arcade Fire in this debate, admit that the band is as of now 50% a pile of crap. Ok, I can live with that.

kerble wrote:JGP is just a little slow, is all. these post rock nerds that post here are a bunch of scenesters, too. it's a shame that it's a scene that's the biggest sausage fest since the paulina meat market opened. and the music usually isn't very good.

Talking heads reference, a bit back? HEY LOOK, THAT'S WHAT I SAID ON THE FIRST PAGE.

Bruce Springsteen Reference two posts back? HEY LOOK, THAT'S WHAT I SAID ON THE FIRST PAGE.

you people are slow.

i'm SLOW!!!??? Your quote says quite the opposite my friend. Yes, my opinion mirrors those made before. Yet, this tread still goes on. Shit you were all warned, literally, YEARS ago. Yet you still champion this band. So, someone like myself has to remind you yet again this band is worse that Wilco. Remind me who the slow one is again? :?:
John George Peppers

Postby kerble on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:53 pm

John George Peppers wrote:
H-GM wrote:How does having a crappy second album negate the, uh, non-crappiness of a first album? It doesn't. Funeral is a fine album, Neon Bible is not.

When and where have I ever brought up the first album? I haven't!!! I understand why mis-guided fools, such as yourself, think it's a good album. So, givin your view that the bands first album is good and their second is crap. You, a supporter of the Arcade Fire in this debate, admit that the band is as of now 50% a pile of crap. Ok, I can live with that.

and because I don't buy, and haven't bought, their records but think they're good because of a live show, how does that mean anything?

a good live band is a good live band.

John George Peppers wrote:
kerble wrote:JGP is just a little slow, is all. these post rock nerds that post here are a bunch of scenesters, too. it's a shame that it's a scene that's the biggest sausage fest since the paulina meat market opened. and the music usually isn't very good.

you people are slow.

i'm SLOW!!!??? Your quote says quite the opposite my friend. Yes, my opinion mirrors those made before.

no, my opinion was that they were completely derivative, but good live.
your opinion doesn't mirror that.

Yet, this tread still goes on.

you bumped it. not me.

Shit you were all warned, literally, YEARS ago. Yet you still champion this band.

warned by who? people like you? maybe you should change your approach, cause ain't nobody listening to your bullshit.

So, someone like myself has to remind you yet again this band is worse that Wilco.

wilco is very good live. When you have Cline, Kotche and Stirratt in tow, your band will be good live. fact. Some bands I watch for the songs, some I watch for the musicians. Wilco is the second of those two choices.

Remind me who the slow one is again? :?:

that'd be you, still.
kerble is right.
SA | SF | FZ | SI | RD | DA | K | CP | T
kerble
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:08 pm

kerble is right...it says so right there.
Uncle Ovipositor wrote:In Tokyo, the Japanese can pee in the streets...
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:12 pm

kerble wrote:
warned by who? people like you? maybe you should change your approach, cause ain't nobody listening to your bullshit.

If that were true we wouldn't be having this discussion. Your statement is that they are a good live band. My statement is that they put out a shit album. I've never questioned their live performance. I hear OKGO put on a real interesting show kerble. Maybe you should rethink your opinion of them.

What is your view on their new album? That' what's in question right now. Im saying that Neon Bible is shit. Man, you take a lot of time to reading, kerbling, archiving, but you sure as fuck aren't directly anwering anything I'm talking about.

kerble wrote:wilco is very good live. When you have Cline, Kotche and Stirratt in tow, your band will be good live. fact. Some bands I watch for the songs, some I watch for the musicians. Wilco is the second of those two, choices.

With this logic, your next going to tell me you listen to Phish because they too are excellent musicians. Did you go to Phish shows to watch their technical mastery? OH wait, you know who Phish want to be? The Greatful Dead. You know which fake contrived inde band 9 out of 10 Greatful Dead fans prefer? Give up? Wilco.

Tell me, Do you all hold hands at said Wilco shows or are you a bit more forward with a reacharound?
John George Peppers

Postby HOUSTON_M on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:20 pm

Recently, two publications, namely, the Guardian (England) and Hot Press (Ireland) asked the same question in large print:

"Are the Arcade Fire the best band in the world?"

The answer is no.
HOUSTON_M

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:23 pm

HOUSTON_M wrote:Recently, two publications, namely, the Guardian (England) and Hot Press (Ireland) asked the same question in large print:

The answer is no.

This is what I'm talking about. The hype machine on this band is mindblowing! Something must to done.CRAP!!!!!
John George Peppers

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:35 pm

kerble wrote:wilco is very good live. When you have Cline, Kotche and Stirratt in tow, your band will be good live. fact. Some bands I watch for the songs, some I watch for the musicians. Wilco is the second of those two choices.

I saw Wilco live once (opener: Deerhoof). They played almost exclusively from their last two albums. It was a great show. It was the Madison show that they later released tracks from on the expanded Ghost LP. And yes Marsupialized...the crowd...what a bunch of fucking asshats.

Jeff Tweedy was totally on fire that night. His guitar playing and stage presence...intense. Extremely solid musicianship all around.

I think the time for the "perfect" Wilco LP has probably passed. Yankee had some extremely solid songwriting nearly all the way through...but there's too much indie pop trickery. Ghost showed Wilco at its absolute best and worst..."I'm a Wheel," "Hummingbird," and "Less Than You Think" really bog down the album...but the best songs really deliver an emotional punch.

It's frustrating to see Wilco totally panned by a discerning, Chicago-dominated board. There's so much else I'd rather listen to (I likes the punk rock in all its forms), but Wilco does not deserve the shit-kicking that it consistently receives here.
Minotaur029
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:40 pm

whenever someone takes the time to hate a band this much it makes me like said band a little more....they got to be doing something right to get to you that much.

for the record, i like funeral. they are a good live band. i downloaded neon bible and promptly deleted it after one listen.
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:43 pm

cervixFORaHEart wrote:whenever someone takes the time to hate a band this much it makes me like said band a little more....they got to be doing something right to get to you that much.

for the record, i like funeral. they are a good live band. i downloaded neon bible and promptly deleted it after one listen.

Man, I gotta hear this Bible record...everyone keeps saying how shitty it is...it might be satisfying to listen to this band expose itself as a one-trick "trying to branch out anyway" pony.
Minotaur029

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:45 pm

meh...i wouldnt say it was "shitty"...it just didnt do much for me.
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby Minotaur029 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:48 pm

cervixFORaHEart wrote:meh...i wouldnt say it was "shitty"...it just didnt do much for me.

Even so...I want to watch the hype machine crumble...
Minotaur029

Postby John George Peppers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:50 pm

Minotaur029 wrote:
I saw Wilco live once (opener: Deerhoof). They played almost exclusively from their last two albums. It was a great show. It was the Madison show that they later released tracks from on the expanded Ghost LP. And yes Marsupialized...the crowd...what a bunch of fucking asshats.

Thank you for that.

Minotaur029 wrote:
It's frustrating to see Wilco totally panned by a discerning, Chicago-dominated board. There's so much else I'd rather listen to (I likes the punk rock in all its forms), but Wilco does not deserve the shit-kicking that it consistently receives here.

Agreed. However, at the time of foxtrot, Wilco was crammed down our throats often by local media. Those of us in Chicago just had enough of them very quickly. Same goes for any band. If you don't like a band you just push them aside and move on. However, if the band you don't like happens to be a media darling your fucked. They are pushed at you in every form of media and you can't escape them. Which is precisely why I have such a negative feeling towards Arcade fire.

HOUSTON_M wrote:Recently, two publications, namely, the Guardian (England) and Hot Press (Ireland) asked the same question in large print:

The answer is no.
John George Peppers

Postby cervixFORaHEart on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:53 pm

maybe you just need less media in your life, dude.
cervixFORaHEart
captain mash
captain mash

Postby ChristopherM on Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:54 pm

cervixFORaHEart wrote:maybe you just need less media in your life, dude.

Ding! We have a winner.
Oh, and fuck Mars Volta.
ChristopherM
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

PreviousNext

Return to Crap / Not Crap